symptoms of failing injectors? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2008, 05:32 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

symptoms of failing injectors?

my lb7 has 213k kms (130k miles) on it and i think im finally experiencing what i think are injector or pump issues. basically the truck feels like it needs an oil change all the time (even right after i changed the oil and fuel filter).

-grey smoke at idle (never smoked before except below freezing)
-odd shift points (up and down shifting. usually high revving)
-a loss of 2 mpg
-auxillary fan turns on at start up until engine is warmed up (randomly, not dependent of outside temp or last time truck was driven)

as far as i know my injectors should be covered by the recall. if that is what the problem is.

4" turbo back, K&N kit, Fitch Fuel Cat... 20mpg mixed driving. 22-23 Highway
B--S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2008, 09:25 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
Oh...... Squirrel!

Hmmm the mpg loss and grey smoke would go towards injectors but I cant think of what would cause the strange shift patterns or the fan is really unusual. You'll definatly have to take it in and get the injectors looked at!
Exterior: Escalade Handles, Front windows tinted to match the rear, painted bumpers & mirrors, billet grille, 305/50/20 Cooper Zeons on BMF Novakanes Death Metal, Cognito Braces, Stainless Sleeves, Train Horns
Interior: 4 Kicker 10in Subs in 2 custom box's, Autometer Ultra lite II Pyro and Boost gauges, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge, HID Lows & Fogs, Painted accents
Performance: EFI Live Tuned by Blackout Performance, Custom Blackout Performance S475 over stock twins, 45 over stock injectors, MBRP Turbo Back Stainless Exhaust (Straight piped), Raptor Lift Pump, AFE Filter, GMAX6 kit with Suncoast 1057 converter installed by Blackout Performance
1999 Ford F-550 PowerStroke ''Wrecker'' **Jerrdan bed, S&B Intake
Tow Master is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2008, 09:58 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
VAGITARIAN :)

Maybe your spin-on needs replacing,for the hanging shifts..IDK High return rates tell of shot injectors.Balance rates fluctuate a bit on idle.I'd have it checked before bigger problems arise....
2006 GMC 4x4 CC/SB/sle1/LBZ**312,000 miles!!** PPE HOT+2 225 TUNE beeeyotch:-)AutoMeter egt/boost Suncoast 5 trans w/1056TC!,billet in/out shafts/MagHytec pan!!,M/A built T-Case,4 in.str8piped,5%tint all around......
2007 Chevrolet 4x4 cc\sb,lbz.......SOLD to blunova
Also, I speed and don't come to complete stops at stop signs.

''don't sweat the petty things,pet the sweaty things''
Click below/pictures of my junk!!
http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/vb...do=hall&u=8415
daddysLBZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2008, 10:10 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

See if the oil dipstick smells like diesel, if it does its a surefire way of knowing your injectors are shot- thats what happened to mine. If this does happen, buy a good remote filter if you plan on keeping the truck, a lube additive would be good too (Opti-lube XPD is what I use).
By the way, did you notice an increase in MPG or power with the Fitch fuel catalyst?
Good luck
Old 09-29-2008, 12:26 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

i didnt notice anything huge with the fitch horsepower/ torque wise (kinda minute considering the power these beasts already make)...but it did make about 2mpg better on winter diesel and about .5 mpg better on summer diesel. and my oil stays cleaner longer

i figured the odd shift patterns were a lack of power related thing do to the possibility of bad injectors

the fan only does that weird thing probably once every two weeks or so using the vehicle 3-5 times a day. it seams like its putting extra load ont he engine to warm it up faster but it never did that before.

im definitely getting it in soon, just wanted some opinions

Last edited by B--S; 09-29-2008 at 12:30 AM.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:27 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

i just got injectors in my dmax today i didnt notice they where out untill i bought my tuner. when i got a tuner i would change my tune and get no performance. after a fuel filter and phone calls to PPE we narrowed it down to injectors but never had a problem running stock. have your dealer check them they are warrentied for 200,000 or 7years

4" SS AFE Turbo Back Exaust,PPE Xcelerator Hott + 2, PPE Gauges, PPE Boot Increase Valve, S&B Intake, Billet Grill,leveling kit w/ 285/75/R16's Cooper Discoverer STT's, JL Audio all around

Last edited by 03DuramaxLB7; 09-29-2008 at 09:30 PM.
03DuramaxLB7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2008, 08:21 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Does anybody know if all GM dealers will be able to check them and an average cost to have it done? I don't think mine are acting up but would like to get them checked?
Old 09-30-2008, 09:11 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

well as far as i can understand there is a recall on our years of injectors and the dealer should do all the work and cover core charges and replace the injectors at their expense...

they wont do the work unless there is a problem because its at their expense.
i think that is what your getting at :S

Old 09-30-2008, 09:13 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

Yep thats what I wanted to know. Thanks much
Old 09-30-2008, 09:30 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawsonX View Post
Does anybody know if all GM dealers will be able to check them and an average cost to have it done? I don't think mine are acting up but would like to get them checked?
Have them check the fuel return rates.........can be done with the tech two. Customer pay is usually around $3500 FOR INJECTORS AND 10 HOURS LABOR.
jaydawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.