CP3 leaking into crankcase? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2011, 06:31 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

CP3 leaking into crankcase?

I replaced the CP3 a month and half ago because my truck was throwing P0093 every time I drove it. Last week it started throwing P0093 again and when I started down the diag tree I found fuel in the oil. It had been blowing black smoke at idle for quite a while so I replaced the injectors thinking that one had taken a crap. The truck drives great now and I get no codes but I'm getting twice as much fuel in the oil as before. I ran it with out the valve covers to look for a leak and I can't find one. I tried to put 20psi into the return line to see if I could find a leak and I'm getting the air going into the crankcase. Have you guys seen a CP3 pump fuel into the crankcase before? I set it up to test it tonight. I noticed that putting fuel into the return hose from the pump that it was going into the pump on its own. I put a container of red fuel on top of the return line from the pump and I drained all the oil out and left a clean container under it with the drain plug out. I'll see in the morning if there is red fuel in the container.
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2011, 06:42 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Well, yes it is. I left it last night and I got a quart of fuel to drain through the CP3 into the crankcase with just gravity pushing it.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:43 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

bummer, did the problem resolve after replacing cp3? i might have similar problem: fuel in crankcase, after some high pitch noise, that i couldn't trace. something was going out, with intermittent p0093s.
russianfromalaska is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2011, 01:14 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

subscribed

Mod List: 06 HOOD and Grill, EFI Live, 8" Fabtech, 37 toyo MT's, 22" TTIS, 4.56 gears front and rear, 3" Insynerator turbo pipe, 4" Down pipe, 5" Magnaflow, SDP EGR delete, AFE Blade Runner MP, AFE Metal Intake, Transgo Jr, Pump rub fix, Sleeves, 140 GPH lift pump, Nicktane adapter, Cat 1R-0749 filter, Hobbs pressure switch, Glow shift gauges, NNBS Seats, Jack Rabbit Flush bed cover, PCV reroute, LB7 up pipe, Allison deep pan
Bfox111 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2011, 03:39 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

This did fix it. The CP3 was a month old rebuilt unit and fuel was going right past the seal and into the crankcase. If you want to check you can run the truck with the valve covers off and look for any leaks from the injectors and lines. Its a bit of a PITA but better than buying parts you don't need.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:23 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

running LB7 with valve covers off

How do you run the truck with the valve covers off? I had to tear soo much apart just to get access to them it would take hours to get it back to running condition.

2001 GMC Sierra crew cab SLT 6.6L Duramax
K and N air intake
4" Stainless exhaust
Maxpower1983 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2012, 05:48 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Its not that hard, you just need to hook up everything the truck needs to run. Plug the harnesses back in, hook the filter back up and put the return lines on, and hook the FICM back up.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:51 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Ok thanks. My injectors were just replaced and all new fuel return line seals were done. Got it all back together and the crankcase filled with diesel. So full it pushed all the oil out the vents within 30 minutes of running time. Has anyone else had such a major leak? I didn't notice any major line problems and I assume a leak like that would be a noticeable one. It would have to be more than a minor leak from an injector to dump that much fuel into the crank case.

PLEASE HELP

K and N air intake
4" Stainless exhaust
Old 04-03-2012, 08:03 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

To make it clearer. The injectors were done 6 months ago by the previous owner but he didnt replace and return line seals. Found diesel in the oil and GM mechanic thought it was probobly just leaking seals from the return lines. I took it all apart and put new seals on the lines but left the injectors in place. Put it back together and now it is much worse than before. I am debating replacing the injectors again as I can probably get them under warranty. I am out of ideas at this point. This is my first Duramax and possibly my last.

K and N air intake
4" Stainless exhaust
Old 04-03-2012, 08:20 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

When my pump went it split the seal and it dumped so much fuel that in 20 miles of driving I had fuel running out of the rear main. I had an injector leaking at the same time as this pump going bad. It was getting P0093 codes before i did the injectors and it did not throw any codes after with the pump dumping fuel into the crankcase.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.