Diesel in oil - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2011, 11:13 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Diesel in oil

First of all thanks for the how to's. I have a 2002 dura-max with 268000 miles on her. GM had changed the injectors twice (98000 and 156000) N/C but i did it just a couple of weeks ago with the info posted here. Now I'm still getting diesel in the oil!!! Oil pressure stays in the 60 to 80 range for a couple weeks than drops down to 20 at idle and 40 at cruise speed.

My question is what the heck could be causing this!! I have no loss of power and no smoke.

Thanks
SDD5045 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2011, 11:30 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Sounds like injector(s) again.

2014 Cruze Diesel

chevyman33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2011, 11:36 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

Is there a test or way to see which injector is bad? A friend said the truck needs a major tear down as he thinks it's rings. When I did the injectors passenger side boots and cups were clean. Drivers side I had to replace 3 cups. I cleaned everything up real good. Also, I replaced the fuel pump.
SDD5045 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2011, 11:45 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

If you dont have efi or tech 2 then take it to the dealer and they will give you your balance rates.

2014 Cruze Diesel

chevyman33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2011, 07:10 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DF Sponsors

The balance rates will not help.

You need to start the engine with the valve covers removed, and the FPR unplugged so the pressure goes all the way up, then look for a leak.

It is most likely a return line seal leaking since you just changed the injectors, but there is a chance that one of the new ones is bad.

DuraTitus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2011, 09:03 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDD5045 View Post
First of all thanks for the how to's. I have a 2002 dura-max with 268000 miles on her. GM had changed the injectors twice (98000 and 156000) N/C but i did it just a couple of weeks ago with the info posted here. Now I'm still getting diesel in the oil!!! Oil pressure stays in the 60 to 80 range for a couple weeks than drops down to 20 at idle and 40 at cruise speed.

My question is what the heck could be causing this!! I have no loss of power and no smoke.

Thanks
Im getting the same oil pressure readings with mine.They say 20 at a idle is normal.When Im running down the road 40-45 is all.I have no fuel in my oil whatsoever,Shes loosening up from the mileage.The more miles the less pressure you'll get.They told me were in sec's far as the oil pressure goes.When I first start the truck cold then I get around 50-60 but as it gets warmer the oil pressure drops back.Oil is getting thinner in the pan from the heat.As long as it dos,nt drop below these marks we should be fine unless you have diesel in the oil.Check it every day,watch the oil level very carefully.Do a papertowel test on it & it'll tell you if theres fuel in the oil.There will be a ring around the spot of oil on the towel.Also put your tongue on the stick & see if it taste like Diesel or oil.Should be dry from the full mark up the stick to the ball on the stick.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:58 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Diesel in my oil

OK so I've got a bad injector or two and I found out the hard way after checking my oil and it being way over filled about 2.5 gallons over after draining it and changing it so I could get it home apparently I had driven it for a while with diesel in my crank case I had no way of know considering I had no loss of power nor did I have any white smoke hell it don't even roll a lot of coal when I get on it but that brings me to my question have I done permanant damage to my truck because that's my biggest worry at this point
BW1013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2013, 07:56 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

No major damage is done from the diesel in the oil. Just be very cautios and get it fixed !
TylerD-MaxGarner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2013, 11:52 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerD-MaxGarner View Post
No major damage is done from the diesel in the oil. Just be very cautios and get it fixed !
I would have to disagree, fuel in the oil thins your oil and changes every aspect of your oil. You can easily spin a bearing and LB7's are known for loosing cam and crank bearings due to excessive wear from fuel being in the oil bc of the notorious injector issues. It may not happen immediately but it is not something you should put off on repairs unless you are looking forward to a complete engine overhaul. When I took my routine oil sample I found I had 13% fuel delusion, I had lost almost 10psi of oil pressure, now imagine what the lubricity would be with 2 1/2 gallons of oil and 2 gallons of diesel fuel.

81 Corvette
Black with silver int. Built 355 with chrome Hooker Header side pipes,
TH350C trans with transpac kit, electric fan, Holley 650 double pumper,
MSD Ignition, NKG plugs
03maxin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2013, 07:31 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
Husker Diesel Pimp

It really depends how long the truck was ran with that much fuel in the oil. That will be the determining factor.

But to be realistic and logical, if its running fine now and has normal oil pressure, then odds are that the motor is just fine.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

04 LB7: It's coming along, slowly
gr8shot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.