How to test glow plugs? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2011, 09:15 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

How to test glow plugs?

hey my truck is throwing a p0380 code... which means a bad glow plug or controller. how is the best way i can test for this? when i fire it up and its cold (like 50* or colder) i have one of my cylinders that has quite a bit higher injector balance rate, but once it warms up, its just like all the others. Is that a sign that possibly my cylinder #1 glow plug is the bad one? or what is the best way to test to see which one(s) need replaced?
2003 2500HD LT, CCSB, LB7, EFI tuned by IdahoRob and installed by GOS Performance, Edge CS Insight, AFE intake, 5" center dump exhaust, 8" MBRP tip, 6" Pro-Comp lift, Fox dual resevoirs shock hoops, 35" Toyo M/T's, 20" chrome Diamo 8's, AMP research electric running boards, 55w 8000K HID highs/lows/fogs, All-on mod, roll up tonneau cover, tinted, whited-out.
skyler.hager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2011, 10:55 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

as you said, p0380 usually indicates 1 or more bad glow plugs, g/p controller, or the 175 amp fuse. check the glowplugs first. take the rail off of them and get a test light, hook it to the pos side of the battery and touch the tip of each glowplug. if it lights up the glowplug is bad.

2004.5 LLY Ext Cab 8' ~EFI, Fabtech 6" and much, much more.. SOLD
nvrplzd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2011, 07:19 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

What he said^^^^
EFI Live by Idaho Rob, 352K+ and rolling, Undercover Bed Cover, Vortex spray in bed liner, Westin steps, Bilstein Shocks, Road Master Active Suspension, M/A Pump Rub Kit, MBRP 5" Exhaust, Edge Insight CTS, K&N drop in filter, AirDog II 100 w/ CAT 751, Nicktane w/ CAT, Running on LMM Blacked out Wheels & Michelin LTX M/S2 tires.
ADRENALINE TRUCK PERFORMANCE
APPALACHIAN COAL ROLLERS
Merchant Automotive
Earnhardtfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2011, 07:45 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

great advice! Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.