Temperature Gauge Issues - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2011, 09:37 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Temperature Gauge Issues

I drive 2005 Duramax with 130K. This truck has never hauled anything.
Approximately a year ago, I started having issues with my Temp Gauge. It would randomly start dancing around causing my DIC to read Engine Coolant Hot and then if she hits red, Engine Overheating with the bells dinging. Never once has a service engine soon light come on. This would happen usually if the vehicle was washed, like water was affecting a connection somewhere. Eventually it would go away. Now, it has started to happen while dry. I will start my truck and it will idle roughly, with the gauge dancing around. The truck will drive absolutely fine and still have the temp gauge dance around and trip the bells for the engine overheating. Come to a stop light and the idle will be rough (Lugging) with the gauge fluctuating back and forth. One major related issue would be my Elevated Engine Idle will not properly work when its cold out. Once the temp needle starts dancing the computer tells the Elevated idle to shut off. I was told the T stats would not cause this action, usually that are stuck open or shut. Could this be a cluster problem? Perhaps a bad stepper motor? I have replaced the stepper motor for the speedometer already. Could there be a corroded connection somewhere that is causing this? It seems electrical to me, but what do I know. All suggestions or perhaps even the actual cause would be greatly appreciated.
Slickduster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2011, 11:11 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

First make sure the coolant is full-- and you have bleed the system of air. That is the small bolt at the front of the thermostats. Do you have to add coolant regularly-?

If you have air, you might have to drive it and bleed again.

After you drive the truck, and is parked overnight-- before you start it--check the upper radiator hose. Is it easy the compress-? That may indicate you have a bad head gasket. Which I suspect is your problem.

Is it collapsed-? That is caused by a sticky reservoir cap-- wash with soapy water or replace.
Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, de-badged, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.--- Jerry
jc1843 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2011, 02:52 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

I'll check the hose in the morning. Right now I shouldnt have air, coolant came out upon filling up from the bleed nut. I did just read that if you have pressure build up in the reserve tank that the radiator cap is faulty. Could that be a possible culprit? What might the damage be on a head gasket repair?
Old 11-21-2011, 06:48 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

upper radiator hose

When i checked it this morning, it was neither collapsed or firm like a tennis ball. I could sqeeze it together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.