Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Noob has a Driveline clunking issue

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  turboss 
#1 ·
Hey,
I'm new here and have a question. I've checked the forum and really haven't found what I'm looking for.

I've had a 03 auto crew-cab s/b with 120k miles for about 1 year now. It has developed a major cluck from reverse to drive, park to drive and sometimes drive to reverse. If I shift to neutral for a few seconds it seems not to cluck.

Also, the gear selector won't indicate what gear you are in until you drive for a bit. It drives and shifts through the other gears with problems or vibrations. The u-joints are stock, but have no play in them.

If I grab the driveshaft and try to rotate it, how much play should there be or not be? I can rock it back and forth. Maybe a 1/4 inch of play...

Thanks for any help.

#2 ·
I had the same issue with my 03. It was a the white "Box" for lack of the correct item located on the side of the Transmission. The Shift Linkage goes through the "Box" and there are 2 Wire Harnesses connected to it toward the rear of the Transmission. I purchased a new one for I believe $79.00 through a friends service station. We installed it and problem solved. Took all of about 10 minutes. 8 minutes of it was trying to get the Wire Harnesses disconnected.

If I remember correctly he was able to read a code and that guided us to the problem.

Good luck.

#4 ·
I had the same issue with my 03. It was a the white "Box" for lack of the correct item located on the side of the Transmission.

Good luck.
I had the problem minus the clunking. I believe it's called the 'gear selected indicator'. Was told it's unprotected so an undercarriage wash or big puddles can get it wet and cause it to short out.

#3 ·
If there is any play in the u-joints they need replaced..may have some backlash issues on the ring and pinion in the rear end.

Sent from my Autoguide IPhone app

#7 ·
Napa wants $220 and the dealer wants $250. Found them online for about $80-$90. Are all these made the same people? Are any of them junk? Are there any online diesel part sites to stay away from?

#8 ·
I'll call my buddy tomorrow and see what warehouse he had me pick it up from. It was in Roseville off 35W and County D if remember. I know back around 2008-2009 it was under $100.00.

#11 ·
The switch is in and working great. Pretty simple install except for a frozen garage floor and electrical connections that seemed to be "glued" in from the factory. Thanks everyone. I suppose my injectors are next to go...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.