Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Famous lb7 injectors

18K views 52 replies 12 participants last post by  IGOU 
#1 ·
Hey,

I got my truck about 3yr ago, with 106k on it. Got a pretty good deal, I think. At the time, the injectors was fine, had some minor issues, but the extended warranty I got covered most of.

I upgraded to a banks monster exhaust, banks air cleaner and the edge with attitude. Not long after the upgrades, it started smoking at idle. So of course I checked the net, and found this forum and concluded, that it had to be the injectors.

Truck had about 135k on it at this point and 5yr old, well within the extended warranty. Surprise, surprise, the injectors are just fine, but a whole list of other items. So I left with a smoking truck, think I was imagining thing. So, chip back in, oil changed and off I went.
Smoking got worse, removed the chip, took it to another dealer. Truck was smoking enough that the service rep knew exactly why i was there. Truck had about 150k on it and 6.5yrs. So I was really hoping the injectors was bad. Again nope.

I gave up and decided just to save up and do the injectors myself. About 3 months ago I did a oil change and got 4 gallons of oil out of it. Which I thought was strange seeing as I know it only takes 2.5. Changed it out and put it on my to-do list to deal with the injectors.
As life goes, time went by and the injectors got forgotten, until going skiing and the oil pressure would drop significantly.

Called my local dealer, the first one mentioned. Scheduled a oil change and ask to have them check the injector just for the sh*ts of it. The truck has 171k on it and 8.4yrs old. Went into service in Oct '11. Out of the special warranty.
Guess what the injectors are f***Ed, and a whole list of other stuff.
So they are going to replace all 8 and everything involved. I only pay labor. About $1700.

Not exactly free, but way better than I expected. I thought I would have to fight and have to raise the roof, but no. The truck is there right now. I will hear from them tomorrow and find out if that is all.

Will keep you posted.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like a good dealership to me. Unless, they lied about the injectors being bad previously. Don't know why they would, though.

#3 ·
So, got my truck back, only had to pay $1745 to have the injectors done.all and all it was a pleasant experience. Even got a new cadalac cts for a couple of days.

It feels great finally not smoking everyone out when I am stopped at a light.

#4 ·
If the dealer did it they should have replaced the cp3 and injectors lines also pretty sweet.............

#6 ·
Bravo to the ****-a$$es at that dealership! Sounds like some good fellars, there. I assume that's Lafayette, LA? Wish I coulda driven a CTS while I was replacing my injectors! Oh yeah, my mechanic was a butthead, I did it myself.

#10 ·
Straight from the parts managers mouth at Bob King GMC in Wilm NC, his name is Rob call and ask him yourself.......................

This is GM's policy on LB7 injector replacement now......................

And the special policy has expired, he got his done some other way...................

#18 ·
I will get the bulletin tomorrow for yall........................

#22 ·
the policy is if there is black debris in the fuel regulator we need to replace cp3 lines and injectors, this is not part of the special policy, the special policy is for cracked injector bodies only, and includes cleaning the lines. general black debris in the fca is dirty fuel contamination. the special policy is basically over so an out of warranty adjustment is what the original poster was given. which is common considering he bought the truck from the dealer and had it serviced there

#24 ·
to smokinlmm are you kidding or do you really feel i am not welcome here. i have benefitted allot from these forums and just want to contribute my fair share. if you feel my post is an error i could pm you all the supporting documentation. i spend my day running a service department as the shop foreman for gmc. i know i am qualified, and would say its fair to wager i have fixed more bad ass trucks than you have jerked off to.
hope this is not too insulting apparently this is how we talk to each other on the forum. i feel a little uncomfortable with it, but i guess i can get the hang of it

#25 · (Edited)
That was not for you buddy, it was for the guy I quoted trying to be a bad ass.......

I appreciate your info and am glad tht you are spending your time helping others in need of good advise. We need more people like you.......

Chances are you haven't even seen as many badass duramaxes as I have helped build.........:D. :gearjamin. Welcome............

#26 ·
well like i said i was just f>>>ing around with you, i am new here and only intend to post quality info that has a way i to be verified or documented. i have had allot of information on these forums help me, so i feel my paying back into them is important. i could use a few pointers on the "etiquette" of the forum. it seems you guys can talk a little harshly at times which is cool as we are hard on each other in the shop as well. thanks for the reply.

#27 ·
After awhile you will learn who you can fuck with and who gets butt hurt.........

It s all in fun and helping others in need of it.........

Just treat those on here like your buddies in the shop and you will get along with everyone on here just fine..........

Like I stated earlier we need more people like you and less sarcastic unknowledgeable kids..............

#29 ·
I would love to get a copY of that bulletin..im not being a smart ass..dont blow up on me i would just like to have it incase my shit goes south

#30 ·
Dammit.........

Y'all are going to make me drive over to the dealer. I can't just stop by there, I always end up hanging around an hour or so and end up buying something...............

Last time it was wheel liners, the parts manager is like a drug dealer. He knows I want what he's got................:D

#31 ·
#04039C: Special Coverage Adjustment - Injectors - Replace - (Dec 16, 2009)
Subject: 04039C – Special Policy Adjustment – Injector – Replace

Models: 2001-2004 Chevrolet Silverado

2001-2004 GMC Sierra

2004 Chevrolet Kodiak

2004 GMC TopKick

Equipped with 6.6L Duramax Diesel (RPO LB7 – VIN Code 1) Engine

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Technical Service Bulletins 03-06-04-036B and 04-06-04-007I have been incorporated into this bulletin. Please discard all copies of bulletin 04039B, issued November 2007.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition

Some customers of 2001-04 model year Chevrolet Silverado; GMC Sierra; 2003 Chevrolet Kodiak and GMC TopKick vehicles, equipped with a 6.6L Duramax Diesel (RPO LB7 – VIN Code 1) engine, may experience vehicle service engine soon (SES) light illumination, low engine power, hard start, and/or fuel in crankcase, requiring injector replacement, as a result of high fuel return rates due to fuel injector body cracks, ball seat erosion, or high pressure seal extrusion.

Special Policy Adjustment

This special policy covers the condition described above for a period of 7 years or 200,000 miles (320,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.

Important: This special policy only covers the above noted failure modes, which are identified by high fuel return flow.

For 2001-2002 vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after May 25, 2004, are covered by this special policy and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to May 25, 2004 must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

For 2003 vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after October 10, 2006 are covered by this special policy and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to October 10, 2006 must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

For 2004 vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after November 19, 2007 are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to November 19, 2007 must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

Vehicles Involved

Involved are
all 2001-04 model year Chevrolet Silverado, GMC Sierra; 2003-2004 Chevrolet Kodiak and GMC TopKick vehicles equipped with a 6.6L Duramax Diesel (RPO LB7 – VIN Code 1) engine and built within the following start of production to end of production VIN breakpoints:

#32 ·
as noted no injector lines or cp3 are to be replaced here, see the following bulletin which smokin lmm is referring to i will post

#33 ·
Thanks buddy you saved me a trip across town........:drink

#35 ·
#PIP4727A: Cleaning Diesel Engine Fuel Injectors - contaminated fire hard idle injection misfire miss SES - (Feb 11, 2010)
Subject: Cleaning Diesel Engine Fuel Injectors

Models: 2001-2010 Chevrolet Express, Kodiak, Silverado

2001-2010 GMC Savana, Sierra, Topkick

Equipped with the 6.6L diesel engines RPO code LB7 LBZ LLY and LMM

This PI was superseded to update model years. Please discard PIP4727.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

A dealer may encounter a customer concern of rough running, P0191, or a crank no start.

Poor fuel quality may have induced the rough running, P0191, or no start. A dealer may notice the vehicle has one or more cylinders with the injector balance rates out of specification, a DTC P0191, or a crank no start. When diagnosing a crank no start condition it is possible the injector pintles are stuck closed. A no start with clogged injectors will have sufficient pressure in the fuel rail when the engine is cranked. Cranking pressure will typically be around 4000-5000 psi or 27-34 MPA during a no start due to stuck or clogged injectors.

Recommendation/Instructions:

If a dealer encounters a vehicle with a rough running (high injector balance rate), a P0191, or a no start with sufficient pressure in the fuel rail, cleaning injectors may alleviate the condition.

Injector cleanings are only suggested when the dealer has found fuel contamination or suspects fuel contamination.

1. Clean injectors if injector balance rates are not within +4 mm³ and -6.9 mm³. Cleaning the injectors may free up a sticking pintle or clean the residue left by poor fuel.

2. Clean injectors if the engine is a no start, and the vehicle has sufficient pressure in the fuel rail to start. Cranking fuel rail pressure when all 8 injectors are clogged is approximately 4000-5000 psi or 27-34 MPA.

3. Clean injectors if P0191 has set due to a slow fuel rail pressure (FRP) decay rate. P0191 may set due to an accumulated but harmless varnish build-up on the fuel injectors. If servicing a 2006-2008 model year vehicle please see the newest version of bulletin 09-06-04-022 for P0191 ECM calibration information.

Injector Cleaning Procedure:
To clean the injectors the dealer will be using a mixture of GM Upper Engine Fuel Injector Cleaner p/n 88861802 (88861804 in Canada) and diesel fuel. The cleaner will be connected at the rear of engine fuel line quick disconnects. Use an approved one gallon diesel fuel can for this process. Two fuel lines (also approved for use with diesel fuel) will be needed. Remove the quick disconnects at the rear of the engine. Install the two rubber fuel lines in the place of the fuel suction and return lines. Make sure these hoses are long enough to reach the fuel can sitting safely on the floor next to the vehicle. Use 1/2 gallon of fresh clean number 2 diesel fuel (no bio-diesel) and 13 ounces of GM Upper Engine Fuel Injector Cleaner to complete this process.

Run the engine until the complete mixture has been cycled through the engine.

With a no start condition, try to start the engine multiple times until the mixture starts to flow through the system. Make sure not to overheat the starter during this process. Let the starter cool down between each engagement.

Note: If a heavy concentration of debris or contaminates quickly fills the fuel can (from the return side of the fuel system) do not continue to cycle it through the system. Any contaminated fuel removed from the vehicle will need to be disposed of following city and/or state guidelines.

Evaluate the customer concern after the injector cleaning process has been completed.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing

#36 ·
see previous post pip4727 has been replaced. as smokinlmm said and i remember it used to state rough idle surge fuel pressure black debris, fuel contaminents, if fuel contaminents are found in pressure regultor the high pressure pump and line as well as injectors should be replaced due to fuel contaminates. this was to be at the customers expense which they usually called their insurance company because it was 10000 dollars, and like smokinlmm said it was at customers expense, gm will never pay for contamination. we have changed the pi to clean the lines and reevalute the condition now, probably because the shotgun method does seem a bit excessive. i am sure the parts dept loved it, but insurance companies most likely cried. hope this helps. either way the best approach to get your lb7 injectors replaced is to build a good working relationship with youre local dealer and then humble ask the service manager for assistance. the tech will have to take a snapshot of the actual vs desired fuel pressure not achieving the 23000 psi desired, and send it to gm. so most likely you will have a crankcase full of diesel fuel. this is an absolute must to replace injectors as we have a worksheet to fill out. see bosch pays gm for this everytime it doesn't cost the dealer or the general anything, bosch just sends us injectors and pays us 1000 bucks to put them in. bosch also has the market on high pressure common rail cornered and constantly buys out competitiors. they learned from the drug companies. and you have to admit the new pizeo injectors are sweet. hopefully that sort of clears things up about the who what why.

#37 ·
#03-06-04-010: Info - 6.6L LB7 Duramax Diesel Fuel Pressure Regulator Replacement - (Jul 1, 2011)
Subject: 6.6L LB7 Duramax™ Diesel Fuel Pressure Regulator Replacement

Models: 2001-2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500/3500 Series Models

2003 Chevrolet Kodiak C4500/C5500 Series Models

2001-2003 GMC Sierra 2500/3500 Series Models

2003 GMC Topkick C4500/C5500 Series Models

with 6.6L Duramax™ Diesel Engine (VIN 1— RPO LB7)

The fuel pressure regulator, P/N 97728979, is now serviceable separate from the fuel injection pump.

If the Service Manual diagnostics lead to the replacement of the fuel pressure regulator, inspect the inner tip of the regulator (see illustration) for corrosion upon its removal. The inner tip of a fuel pressure regulator from an uncontaminated fuel system will be smooth with tan colored fuel deposits, but it will not be blackened with heavy scaling or pitting.

If blackened corrosion and pitting is found on the inner tip of the regulator, the integrity of the fuel injection pump has been compromised and the pump must be replaced. Replace the fuel filter element and clean the fuel system using Service Manual procedures. Injector replacement is not necessary, as the fuel injection pump is the most susceptible component to corrosion damage. After repairs are completed, re-evaluate the vehicle's performance to ensure no additional concerns are present. Some fuel additives emulsify water into the fuel and allow the water to get past the fuel filter/water separator. Fuel additives can be introduced by the customer or by the fuel retailer. Advise the customer of possible fuel source issues and recommend against the use of aftermarket fuel additives.

Parts Information

Part Number

Description

Fuel Pressure Regulator

#38 ·
ok here is another spot that calls for replacement of cp3
but the actually bulletin has been removed as stated above.

The inner tip of a fuel pressure regulator from an uncontaminated fuel system will be smooth with tan colored fuel deposits, but it will not be blackened with heavy scaling or pitting.

If blackened corrosion and pitting is found on the inner tip of the regulator, the integrity of the fuel injection pump has been compromised and the pump must be replaced. Replace the fuel filter element and clean the fuel system using Service Manual procedures. Injector replacement is not necessary, as the fuel injection pump is the most susceptible component to corrosion damage. After repairs are completed, re-evaluate the vehicle's performance to ensure no additional concerns are present. Some fuel additives emulsify water into the fuel and allow the water to get past the fuel filter/water separator. Fuel additives can be introduced by the customer or by the fuel retailer. Advise the customer of possible fuel source issues and recommend against the use of aftermarket fuel additives.

#39 ·
thanks for the info. i still dont see where it says that with every injector job the lines and cp3 have to be replaced, but its ok to be wrong sometimes.

GM started cracking down hard on injector replacement thus why we have that injector worksheet to fill out along with snapshots.

#40 ·
to i_keyser that is what i am saying it only states to replace them for contaminates in fuel or black debris in regulator, the special policy is injectors only period. you have it correct sir

#41 ·
i understand and totally agree with you. another certain person was determined to prove that with every injector replacement the lines and cp3 HAD to be replaced as well per GM. the bulletins you posted prove that wrong. the bulletins are for vehicles with signs of contamination. again thank you for the info. much appreciated.

#42 ·
Have you ever NOT seen the black contaminants in the fuel system on a truck that is up 10 years old and has over 100,000 miles on it..........

So, if there are contaminants you have to replace injection pump and lines right................

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.