Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Famous lb7 injectors

18K views 52 replies 12 participants last post by  IGOU 
#1 ·
Hey,

I got my truck about 3yr ago, with 106k on it. Got a pretty good deal, I think. At the time, the injectors was fine, had some minor issues, but the extended warranty I got covered most of.

I upgraded to a banks monster exhaust, banks air cleaner and the edge with attitude. Not long after the upgrades, it started smoking at idle. So of course I checked the net, and found this forum and concluded, that it had to be the injectors.

Truck had about 135k on it at this point and 5yr old, well within the extended warranty. Surprise, surprise, the injectors are just fine, but a whole list of other items. So I left with a smoking truck, think I was imagining thing. So, chip back in, oil changed and off I went.
Smoking got worse, removed the chip, took it to another dealer. Truck was smoking enough that the service rep knew exactly why i was there. Truck had about 150k on it and 6.5yrs. So I was really hoping the injectors was bad. Again nope.

I gave up and decided just to save up and do the injectors myself. About 3 months ago I did a oil change and got 4 gallons of oil out of it. Which I thought was strange seeing as I know it only takes 2.5. Changed it out and put it on my to-do list to deal with the injectors.
As life goes, time went by and the injectors got forgotten, until going skiing and the oil pressure would drop significantly.

Called my local dealer, the first one mentioned. Scheduled a oil change and ask to have them check the injector just for the sh*ts of it. The truck has 171k on it and 8.4yrs old. Went into service in Oct '11. Out of the special warranty.
Guess what the injectors are f***Ed, and a whole list of other stuff.
So they are going to replace all 8 and everything involved. I only pay labor. About $1700.

Not exactly free, but way better than I expected. I thought I would have to fight and have to raise the roof, but no. The truck is there right now. I will hear from them tomorrow and find out if that is all.

Will keep you posted.

See less See more
#48 ·
My Dealer gave me the Bad News, 8-Injectors- Bad

Help.....My local Chevy dealer gave me the bad news today so I found your post from January 2012 where you talked about using CAT IR749 Filter and CAT Filter Head. I need to do something because I am facing replacing all 8 injectors, my cost!!!! And I don't want to ever repeat this ordeal. Anywho, do you recall the part number for the Filter Head? I went to the CAT web site and could locate filters and water separators, but couldn't make much sense out of anything especially finding the compatible head to fit the water separator/filter setup. I have an electric pump that I removed from my old 6.2L Chevy after my son ran it out of oil. Therefore, I am planning on installing my own supply pump through the water separator then a secondary filter setup to keep all the 'tamination out of the injectors. Any thoughts and well wishes would be appreciated. PS: I have been in touch with GM, wish me luck there too:poke[1]:

#49 ·
Brent at Lincoln Diesel Specialties can hook you up with the CAT filter and filter head. He's got the best price on the net on injectors too. I just bought injectors, the CAT filter setup, and a cold air intake. Did everything myself. Had a few hiccups along the the way, Brent guided me and was right every time, and now my truck runs phenomenal and my pocketbook ain't hurtin' too bad either. Here's the link to LDS, and good luck...... http://lincolndiesel.m.webs.com

#50 ·
Bad LB7 Injectors

Thanks for the heads up with Brent. He also sent me a personal reply. It is great to get an endorsement from a fellow forum member. I agree, the prices he quoted were the best I have found too. I am a able mechanic but new at Duramax components (COST$$$$). I was more use to the IDI Diesels which are a lot less complex and a lot more durable. Oh well, it sure is a pretty truck-my 2002 Silverado LS 2500HD 4X4. Can't wait to really drive it and see how well it can perform. It pulled a trailer with my 2000 EXpedition loaded on it almost 300 miles up and down the hills of middle Georgia and only use 1/2 tank with the injector balance rates #1 thru #7 at 5.0 to -6.5 and #8 at 15, with no fuel in the oil and 212571 miles on the clock. I can only imagine what it is gonna feel like when the all are working properly. Not to shabby....:drink

#51 ·
Here's some well wishes from me. You shouldn't have any problem doing it yourself. It's not complicated, just tedious. There is a great how-to on here.

#52 ·
Thanks Robert, I have looked at the "How-To's" and It doesn't look or sound like it is too complicated at all. In one post though, his last comment was, "Drain the radiator first." That should have been his first thing listed. I sure am glad I read all the way through and won't end up dumping antifreeze down the cylinders.

#53 ·
Lol! Yessir!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.