How long will it last? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 08:22 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

How long will it last?

So I'm new to duramaxes, just picked up a 2003 2500HD with 100k on it. My family, cummins and powerstroke people, claim that the duramax isn't going to last. My dad met a guy with 450k on a 7.3l PS with almost no work done to it. Let's hear your opinions, have I made a bad choice going with the dmax?
livealaska907 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2012, 08:29 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

Nope ur good my brother has a lb7 that he beats on like no tomorrow and its just now having issues at 300k (cp3 pump and tranny) so if u take care of the truck itll take care of u
Old 01-19-2012, 08:33 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

Like everything, if you treat it right then it will last. With your truck it has the lb7 motor which were very prone to injectors going. I have. The same year with 80k on it. I did the injectors at 60k but other than thAt issue my truck drives like a dream. These truck are good trucks. But to each their own. I'm sure some people who are more knowledgable on the subject will chime in. There are many people on the forum that know much about these trucks. Congrats on the purchase and good luck with your new truck!

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app

Steven
03 lb7, 95K miles
5k HID lows & fogs
Pacer lt 16x8 wheels wrapped in Cooper Discover At3 265's
5in MBRP Cat-back
S&B intake and Profab Intake Horn
35% Tints all around
soto3389 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2012, 09:28 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

I have owned all three trucks, an I'm staying with gm for now.

The duramax is a great engine, but like the powerstroke, and cummins they have their issues.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:31 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Thanks guys, I plan on keeping this thing for a long time and running it to the ground, so that's good to hear stories about making it past 300k.
livealaska907 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2012, 07:02 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

One of the things i want to put in it first is a set of three gauges on the A-post, boost psi, EGT, tranny temp. what do you guys think is the best place to get these?
Old 01-20-2012, 07:30 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by livealaska907 View Post
So I'm new to duramaxes, just picked up a 2003 2500HD with 100k on it. My family, cummins and powerstroke people, claim that the duramax isn't going to last. My dad met a guy with 450k on a 7.3l PS with almost no work done to it. Let's hear your opinions, have I made a bad choice going with the dmax?
ok im not trying to start a fight here or anything but i have owned 3 of the 7.3L powerstrokes and there is no way that he can have 450k and not put trannies front ends etc etc...not saying that he doesnt take care of it or w/e but i think you dmax is plenty capable of anything that 7.3 is...good luck

IM ADDICTED TO WINNING!!!!
GOLDIE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2012, 07:36 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

don't worry, no fight started, but i should have specified. He had ALMOST no work done to it: one tranny job, a couple alternators, and I think one set of injectors among other routine stuff. Regardless it's not a lot done out of that many miles. After driving my dad's '97 F350 7.3L for a few years, while the motor is bombproof, I'm pretty sure that it is overpowered for that transmission, which is part of the reason I went with the DMAX. Unfortunately I won't be able to drive it until March because I'm going to school on the east coast and it's in AK, it's going to be one long month and a half!
Old 01-20-2012, 08:03 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

Congrats on the truck. I have the same year truck. As others have said, just watch out for the injectors.

2006 HD Sportster 1200 Custom
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited

2xxx Dmax - loading ...

SOLD - 2003 Silverado CCSB LB7, stock (for now), PPE Boost Valve, Hypertech Power Programmer III, GN, 285/75R16E BFG A/T's.
03Duramax4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2012, 08:07 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
Banned

Got a buddy with an 06 LBZ who is right at 400,000 with it. He has had to replace a warped fuse panel that is it and he has had it tuned with PPE on level 3 for 320,000 of those miles.............

He is obsessive about maintenance......................
smokinlmm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.