Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Ecm reflash question

14K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  MMLMM 
#1 ·
Im looking at a 2001 duramax and the guy had the truck in the dealer and they reflashed his ecm, and he said you cant put a tuner or a chip on it now unless you buy a new ecm. Is this correct? Thanks for any help.

#2 ·
IDK, but reflashing the ECM should not keep you from adding a tuner. All it really does if I am not mistaken is to reset everything back to factory specs. It sounds to me like that Dealer just wants whoever buys the truck, or the owner of it to keep from putting a tuner on it... SOME dealers can be deceptive about anything concerning these trucks if they think you don't know much about the trucks...

#3 ·
Welcome to the forum! :drink

No I have never heard of that. You should be able to buy and tuner you want! I agree with bigdaddy. The dealer probably doesnt want you to add it on :rolleyes:

#4 ·
If they didn't want us gearheads reflashing them,then GM shoulda hid that damn OBD2 port a lil better..Like it's not tempting right there under the steering wheel,makes you think.....''I could add 100hp right there,in 5 minutes'':gearjamin:rolleyes:

#6 ·
What gm is doing now is lets say an older programmer is looking for a value of (x). After we reflash the ecm gm is changing that old value of (x) to a value of (y). That is all they will tell us. We have had a few programmers not able to reload after we update the ecm. I have never seen a programmer like an edge that interfaces the factory harness have a problem. Also we can tell if you have different tuning. All we have to do is look in our tech 2 at software id information and it will come up with ********* instead of 12854851.

#7 ·
I have an LBZ with edge. what are the pros\cons of taking to the dealer and having them install the latest ECM? I'll remove the edge before hand of course. Since the edge doesn't change the ECM, would it be a good idea to have the latest GM has?

#8 ·
I doubt it would make much of a differance.

And also for the original post,,, If they can reflash it,,, so can any good tuner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.