Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Duramax won't start after sitting 2 days

13K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  bwhit$dmax 
#1 ·
If my 03 Dmax sits 2 days (50 degree weather) it won't start without priming, and really long cranks with a 225A engine start. If I plug it in it'll start after a sit. If I drive it or idle it up to temp everyday it'll start. So, if it sits 2 or more days unplugged it won't start. It has new fuel filter & Diesel Kleen additive in the tank. Problem exists whether tank is full, half, or 1/4. Paper towel test shows no fuel in the oil. It's been going on for several weeks. Thanks for any help.

#2 ·
Your fuel filter head is leaking. Order a rebuild kit, should solve your problem. Merchant automotive and madjack have them I know

Sent from my nuclear football, be nice

#4 ·
My truck started doing the same thing about 3 months ago now mine loses prime if it sits all night, but if i plug it in it starts and is good to go, i changed the fuel filter and rebuild my filter housing with the kit from merchant auto and also installed the aluminum bleeder screw and non of that helped me hope that it helps you but if anyone has any other ideas please let me know

#7 ·
It will start right up when it is warm out without pluging it in but when it is cold out and I don't plug the truck in I have to prime the truck before it will start. But I will check with doc brown to see if he has a flux capacitor. Lol

#9 ·
I already changed my flux capacitor! Do they fail that frequently? LOL

My glow plug module is a lil over a year old. I'll give er a looksy, as I've caused myself heartache in the past assuming a newer part hadn't failed. lol. Mine is losing prime though and just like lilgilly mine will start if plugged in. Yesterday it stranded me at work in 40 degree weather. I wouldn't think it would really utilize the glow plugs when that warm out, but dunno. With help from a friend we finally got it started. Had to jump it cause the batts got low from cranking (not dead & they're new). My buddy had to crank it while I kept pushing the primer. Also does your guy's starter have to crank extremely fast to start cause mine does? I'm also thinking about replacing the factory side post batt wires with top post, and modifying my batt trays to facilitate 2 large Optima top post batts. Any thoughts on this helping the situation before I drop that kinda cake on batteries? Thanks.

While proofreading I realized I asked a ton of questions in one post. Sorry!

#10 ·
My starter does spin fast when I start it and noticed that it was harder to start before I replaced my batteries

#11 ·
Check your filter and lines before replacing the head could b sucking air somewhere

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.