Normal Operating Temperature? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2012, 01:01 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
Duramax Forum Supporter
Supporting Member

Normal Operating Temperature?

Hello,

I've got a new to me LB7 and I think that the temperature is a little low. On all of my other vehicles (mostly GM), operating temp is 210, however I cant get the Duramax above 170 (according to the gauge it is 180). I took the reading via my OBDII reader, it is 170-172F.

I thought it was because I have no winter front and it has been around or below freezing. Today it was 60F and it was still the same temperature.

The reason for my concern is this. I produce a lot of blue smoke at idle...injectors you might say. I took it to Merchant and another place by my house, and both say that the readings are very good. None are +- 1.5. They said that it is blue at idle because the engine is not hot enough to burn all of the diesel.

Any suggestions?

2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD LB7 ECLB - SOLD 12/30/13
marcalle is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2012, 06:31 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

My 04 runs this cool also. In town it is 160-170 all the time. If I drive it a little bit harder than normal it will warm up or if I get on the highway at 65-70 it will warm up. Not sure what the low side thermostat is but I would bet its a 165-170 since this is where they like to run. I have a few friends with lb7s and they all run as cool.
FordTechChase is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 06:54 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

Normal temp
AFE MP, MBRP 4" Straight Pipe, EGR Delete
Magnaflow DP, LB7 Up Pipe, ARP Head Studs
PCV Reroute, Resonator Block, Shimmed/Ported
Donaldson Filters, Bars Cranked, Debadged
Bilstein 5100's, Rancho 5000 Stabilizer
Gooseneck Hitch, 285's

Sold: 2003 Silverado SS 6.0L AWD
Jkam0365 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 07:06 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Yeah mine runs around 160 to 170.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:46 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
Duramax Forum Supporter
Supporting Member

Then I'm hoping the injectors are not bad. The readings are very normal after all...any ideas for why it smokes?

Old 03-07-2012, 05:22 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

Mine runs the same. The only time the temp gets up is either when pulling a trailer or in the summer with a/c on it will hit 210
2003 ext. cab 4x4 LB7 132K AFE stage 2 intake, silverline 4" ss turbo back exhaust, banks six gun with speed loader, ppe boost valve, auto meter boost and egt gauges. cranked up torsion bars and 265/75 Goodyear Duratrac , fifth wheel, pintle hook, westin step bars. Alpine stereo and speakers.
LB's Dirty Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 07:25 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Mine was running around that temp so I replaced the thermostats. The low one is 180 I think. It does run right at 180 now without the winter front and 186 with the winter front (temps read with Edge Insight). It does take highway driving to get it warmed up. The higher temp makes a huge difference in heater output. It does take forever to warm up just idling.
Airdog II 165 (with cat filter) & Nictane adapter with 1 micron filter
Stock trans.
New Injectors @ 137k
Previous owner had injectors done @ 60k and 85K
MLAAWDMAX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 07:26 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
Duramax Forum Supporter
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLAAWDMAX View Post
Mine was running around that temp so I replaced the thermostats. The low one is 180 I think. It does run right at 180 now without the winter front and 186 with the winter front (temps read with Edge Insight). It does take highway driving to get it warmed up. The higher temp makes a huge difference in heater output. It does take forever to warm up just idling.
Thats exactly what I'm having an issue for. It does take forever to warm up idling (30+ minutes). Even driving, the heat output is quite low.

Do you know how much the thermostats are? Where to get them? How to replace them?

Thanks!

Old 03-07-2012, 07:38 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Mine now takes about 5 miles at highway speeds to come up to full temp. It still won't warm up a whole lot just idling, but it is much better with the new thermostats and will now put out heat. I got my thermostats at the local parts store in a kit that had both thermostats and the rubber gaskets. Merchant also has them. They are very easy to change. I removed the bolts that hold down the housing and the bolt that holds the radiator hose pipe at the driver side head. DO NOT DROP THE BOLTS. I have never had so much trouble trying to find a dropped bolt in my life (let alone reaching it). I did not disconnect the housing from the metal radiator pipe. Each thermostat has a rubber seal on it and no gaskets to scrape. Make sure to get the right coolant for your truck.
Airdog II 165 (with cat filter) & Nictane adapter with 1 micron filter
Stock trans.
New Injectors @ 137k
Previous owner had injectors done @ 60k and 85K
MLAAWDMAX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 07:41 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
oh yaaaaaaaaaa

Your truck is never going to warm up fully just idiling. In winter highest mine ever goes is like 181. That's driving on highway

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
EFI Live, AFE hot/cold intercooler tubes, SDP EGR delete,5" MBRP straight pipe, 3" Diamondeye Downpipe, Bills custom intake, AFE turbo mouthpiece, Edge CTS Insight, Recon taillights, cab lights, and tailgate light bar, 8000K HID's, PacBrake Air bags, 06 grille, Reflexxion Cowl hood, Pioneer 3100 double din,
Click picture to be redirected to Meyerperformance.com
Price match Guarantee!
kman2468 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.