Luke Warm Heat? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2008, 02:31 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Luke Warm Heat?

Hey guys, I'm new to my truck ( 3 days) and I've noticed that it doesn't come up to temp all the way. I drove it home on Thursday from Wisconsin to Indiana, so at highway speeds for 5 hours it would only get to about 180 degrees. The heater blows out warm heat, just not HOT. Think a thermostat is stuck? Or something else?
jon5212 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2008, 04:25 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Check the thermostat but other than that it could be the heater core going bad.
CURRENT: 2006 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 crew cab (black), 20" chrome Diamo 16 Karat wheels wrapped with 33x11.5 Cooper Discoverer ATPs, K&N drop in filter, custom straight pipe exhaust, PPEI dsp5 tuned by Kory, 8k HIDs in head/foglights, Limo tint, more coming soon...

SOLD:2002 CC/SB Duramax LS 4x4 LB7, Solid axle conversion, 14" lift, 20" XD Diesels (black), 39.5x16.5x20 Pitbull Rocker M/Ts, ATS E-power 160HP/360TQ Tune, Edge Attitude Moniter for Guages, Amsoil Custom Intake, PPE Boost Valve, Custom 5" Straight pipe, Limo Tint everywhere, HID 8k heads, Clarion 7" flip out, (2) 10" subs
ChevyDMax89 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2008, 04:29 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

Ahh ok, well i'll give the thermostats a change, they are probably original and sticking open a little.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:25 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Check the heater hoses going into the firewall are they the same temp. Start the truck and drive it for about 2 minutes get out and feel those hoses if they are the same temp its not the heater core. I have never seen anyone of the 16 techs at my dealership change a heater core in a dmax. Its probobly a mode door actuator. Check to see if the passenger and driver side vents are the same temp.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:35 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
Received a Hummer

Also just a heads up.....180F is normal for engine temps.....

The hottest I ever had mine was 190...but I was on SL running in 90F weather...
Old 11-23-2008, 06:37 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

So you're sayin that the engine doesnt heat up all they way? I would check the coolant level first then the thermostats. I dont see why the heater core would cause it not to warm up. Unless you guys are stating that is why it doesnt blow HOT air.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:46 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toypuller View Post
Check the heater hoses going into the firewall are they the same temp. Start the truck and drive it for about 2 minutes get out and feel those hoses if they are the same temp its not the heater core. I have never seen anyone of the 16 techs at my dealership change a heater core in a dmax. Its probobly a mode door actuator. Check to see if the passenger and driver side vents are the same temp.
Shed some more light on this mode door actuator please. Any way to detect this with a good scan tool? Also if our trucks have 2 thermostats, are they the same part#??
-4" straight pipe 5" tip-Turbo Mouthpiece mod-PPE boost valve-Autometer gauges-EDGE EVO CS RACE-plugged resonator-remote start w/ turbo timer-Remote start controlled high idle mod-Hi-lowbeam headlight mod-6K HID Headlights and Fogs-Blacked out tails-315/75/16 DiscovererATRs black factory alloys-2wd to 4wd converted with a divorced np205-South Bend ceramic clutch and solid mass flywheel
kaczarcollision is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2008, 04:48 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duradude6.6 View Post
So you're sayin that the engine doesnt heat up all they way? I would check the coolant level first then the thermostats. I dont see why the heater core would cause it not to warm up. Unless you guys are stating that is why it doesnt blow HOT air.
I don't think its the heater core, passenger and driver side vents are the same temp. Its just not HOT, my camaro will roast you out of the car in about 30 seconds on high heat. But its normal temp is 210. I guess the truck just runs a little cool.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:19 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

the digital guage on my edge display shows mine at 176-180 all the time, i was wondering if my thermostats were bad until i read these posts, i guess the thermostats in these trucks are 180 degree instead of 195's
Old 11-24-2008, 05:23 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
Ask one to be one

There is blend door that controls the amount of fresh/cold air that mixes with the warm air that comes through the heater core. These are known to go bad or the linkage falls off. If you have a hand held inferred thermometer I would use it to check the temp of the heater hoses as well as the temp of the thremostat housing.

2010 GMC Sierra CC SB 4X4 Cognito 6" lift and 315/70/17 ATP Tuned!!

2008 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 4X4 (wifes) Zone lift set close to 4" 305/70/17's Hankook Dyna Pro RF-10 ATM
usafracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.