Replacing carrier bearing on 2 piece driveshaft? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2012, 06:26 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Replacing carrier bearing on 2 piece driveshaft?

Hey all,
The carrier bearing on my 01 4 dr dually 2 piece drive shaft needs to be replaced. Is this a fairly easy job or should I take it to a driveline shop to have it done. Any help would be appreciated. I don't have a press but can take it to a parts store that has one if needed. Thanks

2001 Chevy 3500 CC Longbed Dually 4X4, 6.6 Duramax, PPE Standard, Magna Flow 4" Exhaust, Gooseneck hitch, 32' Gooseneck Trailer, Allis Chambers Backhoe

Some's good, More's better, Too much is just enough!!!!

http://www.alligatorperformance.com/ http://www.alligatorperformance.com/
duramax-rob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2012, 06:46 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

The carrier bearing is pressed on-- some have been able to remove it with a puller.

I suggest you take it to a drive shaft shop, and have them replace the bearing and the u-joints. Then it will be good for a long time. Replacing U-joints can be tricky, if you have never done it before.
Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, de-badged, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.--- Jerry
jc1843 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2012, 06:15 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

An air hammer and cut off wheel should work

81 Corvette
Black with silver int. Built 355 with chrome Hooker Header side pipes,
TH350C trans with transpac kit, electric fan, Holley 650 double pumper,
MSD Ignition, NKG plugs
03maxin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2012, 09:20 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

I was able to get mine off with a puller but then I took it to a driveline shop to get the new one pressed on, new u joints, and balanced again,,,,,saved me a little money that i had it outta the truck and the bearing off
2001 2500HD CCSB BatMo stocker - Profab air horn - 4" intake with S&B - 3" IC tubes - Profab down pipe - 4" MBRP with 5" tip - CAT adapter/filter - Boost Valve - Autometer Sport Comp II Boost & Pyro - Leveled front - 20x9 Ballistics with 305/50/20 Toyo ATII - Bilstein 5100s - Moog Idler/Pitman - Debadged - Recon smoked LED tail lights, 3rd, & cab lights - 5% tint - traction bars
1992 1500 SCSB
383stroker/SM465/NP200 - 2.5ton rocks - 44" boggers - leaf sprung - building 4 link with mini subframe as we speak

Instagram: @aksnelly
LB7Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2012, 05:14 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies. Would it be best to drain the tranfer case before pulling drive shaft or just catch what drains out? The seal in the back of the transfer case is also leaking, can that be replaced from the outside in the truck or does the transfer case have to be taken apart?

Thanks to ya'al from Arkansas!!!!!!!!! The, we're all related state!!!!!!

2001 Chevy 3500 CC Longbed Dually 4X4, 6.6 Duramax, PPE Standard, Magna Flow 4" Exhaust, Gooseneck hitch, 32' Gooseneck Trailer, Allis Chambers Backhoe

Some's good, More's better, Too much is just enough!!!!

http://www.alligatorperformance.com/ http://www.alligatorperformance.com/
duramax-rob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2012, 05:27 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
Im Superrrrr!

You shouldn't leak anything and it will be very little if you do once shaft is pulled.

I swapped that seal when I dropped my tcase to install a pump rub kit. But should be able to do it up there pretty easily.

Sponsored by Creatures of the Night Performance and SDP
--2005 CCLB Dually
The tow pig
Tuned and Edge Insight CTS
jmaz268 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.