lb7 with lly heads - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2012, 09:03 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

lb7 with lly heads

I found some info on the internet about using lly heads and injectors on a 02 lb7 and using the lb7 ecm and ficm to run it using lb7 intake and turbo basicly just swapping heads and injectors and making a custom wiring harness from the ficm to the injectors and haveing the ecm retuned for the lly injectors has anyone else heard of this and has anyone tried doing it I am gathering up parts and going to try it just looking for some more info I have searched all over but can only find a couple threads about it.

Thanks Ed
Flo Pro 4 inch dual exhaust,modded intake horn,intake heater delete,Edge Insight CTS,Nicktane cat adapter,EFI by Rob Coddens
Troutfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 04:15 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

I've read about it too seems harder on the 01-02's though I don't remember why but on the 03-04 it's pretty much a head conversion and a few wires to splice a few lly fuel lines and efi live to tune it, retarding the timing and upping the flow rates iirc. How is your build going?
Diamond Eye 4 inch turbo back exhaust
Moog problem solver upper and lower ball joints
Blistein 5100's up front
H2's Michelin 265/70/17 E, Ranch hand front bumper. EFI LIVE by Kory Willis
Purchased parts awaiting install:

AD 165,
Special thanks to:Brent@LDS, mrmanners@Synthetic Motorsports, and Kory Willis@latuning
Jesus loves YOU, Have you asked Him to be your Savior yet?
blitzin247 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 04:20 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

I know for sure the easiest way is to get heads, fuel system, wiring and Ecm. Then do emergency relearn and call it done. Someone definitely got it to work with lb7 electronics etc. though it was supposedly just really hard to tune. Someone needs to come out with a conversion package for sure. Seems lb7 heads could be machined for external injector placement or something.
EFI live with DSP5, Nicktane Aux Filter adapter and Filter head adapter with CAT water separator and 2 micron filter, Raptor 150 lift pump with check valve bypass, MA Engine Mounts and Trans Mount, MA Pump Rub Kit, SBC Dual disc, Straight pipe, Roadmaster active supension, Moog pitman/Idler/Support Bracket, Cognito support kit, Rare parts tie rods, Profab Turbo Horn, Intake heater delete, Kennedy high idle and airbox mod
07keo02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 04:32 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07keo02 View Post
I know for sure the easiest way is to get heads, fuel system, wiring and Ecm. Then do emergency relearn and call it done. Someone definitely got it to work with lb7 electronics etc. though it was supposedly just really hard to tune. Someone needs to come out with a conversion package for sure. Seems lb7 heads could be machined for external injector placement or something.
Paging Alligator Performance!
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 04:44 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

i am going to do this next summer with a motor built. Heads,engine wiring harness,injectors and you have yourself an lby lol. Talk to ben tyler if your really interested and he will get you everything you need for this swap to be painless.
Fuel: 60% injectors, lbz cp3
Air: s476 over stocker
Exhaust: 5" downpipe, 5" exhaust factory exit no tip. Bd manifold. Everything heat wrapped.
Wheels: 20x10 fuel hostages, 35" nitto trail grapplers
Bumpers: roll pan, big Chevy hitch
sparepartsracing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 05:04 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

I did it. the 01-02 wiring is the same as the 03-04 wiring if you decide to use lb7 electronics. I am 99% sure I could've used a lly ecm and ficm instead and made it work now after doing it, but only one other person had done what I did and I didn't feel like hacking up a bunch of stuff to have it not work. The easiest way to do it in a 03-04 truck is using lly ecm and ficm and harness. it is plug and play pretty much.
Built in-house at: Freedom Diesel
juddski88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 05:51 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

I never could find enough info to be comfortable trying this so i just replaced my injectors for now still gathering parts and info to do this later
Flo Pro 4 inch dual exhaust,modded intake horn,intake heater delete,Edge Insight CTS,Nicktane cat adapter,EFI by Rob Coddens
Troutfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 07:10 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
Finally Deleted and Tuned
Lifetime Supporting Member

I'm researching this as well. From what I can tell the 01-02 use a different language in the ECM and the 03 and 04 use the CAN network, which on the 03 and 04 it is as simple as plug and play with an emergency re-learn to swap the LLY into it. Not true with the 01-02, which is why you must use the LB7 ECM and FICU along with the turbo etc.

I'm also reading that you can use LLY injectors in an LBZ head, which means you might be able to run an LBZ with LLY injectors, LB7 turbo/intake, run off an LB7 ECM/FICU.

I'd really like to know from those who know: If you are going to build from a blank sheet in an 01 LB7: ......

Is the LBZ block stronger/better than the LB7 and LLY and it it worth it to use it and the bigger water pump with either the LLY heads and injectors, or the LBZ heads with LLY ijectors?

Which CP3 and regulator would you run in that combination?

I'd like to start building and engine over the next year to swap with the LB7 and would like to know the basic block/head/CP3 configuration is most ideal. Understanding that it must run LLY injectors and LB7 turbo and intake.

RedNeck Dually Build Thread
Dually Club Member #191
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERWATCH_09 View Post
The perfect storm of incompetence....Nothing more dangerous than a redneck with money.....
TexasRedNeck is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 07:20 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparepartsracing View Post
i am going to do this next summer with a motor built. Heads,engine wiring harness,injectors and you have yourself an lby lol. Talk to ben tyler if your really interested and he will get you everything you need for this swap to be painless.
I'm either doing this next week or swapping an lbz in. My injectors have finally toasted. No oil pressure and I just changed the oil so we all know what that means

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
ferdkila is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 08:19 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Wow I'm lovin the responses! So why is it best to swap out the lb7 ECM for the lly in 03-04, is it just better for the engine parameters and no special tuning needed?
Diamond Eye 4 inch turbo back exhaust
Moog problem solver upper and lower ball joints
Blistein 5100's up front
H2's Michelin 265/70/17 E, Ranch hand front bumper. EFI LIVE by Kory Willis
Purchased parts awaiting install:

AD 165,
Special thanks to:Brent@LDS, mrmanners@Synthetic Motorsports, and Kory Willis@latuning
Jesus loves YOU, Have you asked Him to be your Savior yet?
blitzin247 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.