Surge during idle - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2006, 06:35 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Surge during idle

I have noticed that while idling that there is a small surge(idle up). Is this normal? This is my first diesel truck so I am full of questions. So far the help has been great here. Thanks!!
engineersDURAMAX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2006, 09:19 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

RPM's shuld be smooth and constant at idle if all is well. The most common culprit is a tiny air leak in the fuel system somewhere. Inspect the flexable fuel lines from the tank to the fuel pump, if there is even the tinest air leak, surging, hard starting, and infrequently small drops of fuel on the driveway happen. Flexable fuel lines fail from the inside out, so if in doubt, replacing the line may be prudent depending on the age of your truck.
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2006, 04:30 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

Is this a common problem? This didn't happen until I ran some cleaner thru it. A friend of mine said it sounded like a fuel pump to him!! Would a fuel pump cause this also? BTW thanks for the help, I am very new to the world of diesel.
Old 04-16-2006, 06:16 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

Does the "service engine soon" light come on? If not, the problem is something GM didn't consider. The fuel (injector) pump shouldn't be causing this unless you have purchased contaminated fuel and your fuel filter failed. This is the reason for injector failures on certain years of trucks. Diesel fuel has a natural affinity for water, and condensation in the empty part of your fuel tank will accumulate a surprising amount of water in your tank, especially when the outside temperature swings large amounts from days to nights. The flexible fuel lines deteriorate from the inside out, so when it's noticeable, the inside is really bad. The lining may swell and block fuel passage, suck in air without leaking fuel out, or simply reduce the amount of fuel flowing. If your truck is over 3 years old it's worth an inspection because of your complaint. I'm only an amateur so don't take my advice as gospel.
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2006, 05:32 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

NOPE there is no SES light! But, I think I found the problem. When I bought the truck I used som LUCAS injector cleaner. I beleive this is my trouble. It was strong enough to break loose the crap but not to disolve it. I ran some DIESEL KLEEN in it and all my problems went away, so I am good now....at least for the time being.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:39 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

loopy idle can also be a bad fuel pressure regulator they have been known to cause this type of idling
2004 lb7 Chevy BD supermax turbo. Suncoast VI trans . Magnaflow exaust. BD manifold. Afe intake. TNR Nav . Subthump with dual Infinity 10.1 subs. Alpine M-605 digital amp. DVD interfaced in the Nav. Nr white face cluster. Autometer Boost ,Pyro, Fuel psi, D-pic

Tuning By .........ppe..........Westers..........Moonshine

C.A.P is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2006, 04:41 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Hey Engineer whenever you get the problem fixed let me know!! I am having the same problems. If I am not stepping on the brake enough I actually jump forward when it does it. Craziness huh
Mavdog32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2006, 09:15 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

me too

I am new to the diesel world as well and having the same idel surge when the engine is cold. how should I approach? I've heard the FPR could be bad but is covered by warrabty but I have also heard running a additive to clane the sysytem will do the trick? Any suggestions would be great.
tmougeotte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2006, 09:37 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

i think the additive is a reasonable first step and is the most cost affective. I would think that you would want to change out your filter after running it through a tank of diesel.
Mavdog32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2006, 07:25 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

Services done

I changed all my fluids and filters now it is surging and the engine light came on, thinking its the FPR time to see a dealer I guess.
tmougeotte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.