Boost leak/ Whooshing sound/Broken Up Pipe? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 08:03 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Boost leak/ Whooshing sound/Broken Up Pipe?

So, running around town today, heading home There starts sound that isn't familiar. Sounds like an air compressor/vacuum when the turbo spools. I checked the boost gauge and normally up here I get mid 20's. Now it barely makes 20psi. I checked the pass side intercooler piping and pulled the drivers side to check for holes/wear. Nothing. Now I'm thinking it might be an up pipe seeing as the sound is like right down in front of me/in the footwell. Any ideas?

Thanks.

227K mi. - EFI by Kory, AirDog II, S&B Intake, and... other not-Stock things..

Went boom 4-12-13 8:32pm
130K engine went in and running 5-10-13
Duckinator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 03:06 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

*bump*

Old 11-06-2012, 04:45 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

Check the up pipes where they connect to the manifolds and where it connects to the turbo pedestal, and where the turbo mounts to the pedestal. Did you check all the boots our just the ones on the intercooler?
DD: 2002 gmc lb7 ccsb, 6" rcd lift, rolling dunlop mts, 5" mbrp turbo back, efi live by idaho rob, banks cold air, Airdog 150, Ppe oil centrifuge, Udp fuel filter adapter with 1 micron filter, Ppe boost valve, Profab dp, manifolds/up pipes, and intake horn, Custom trac bars, bt diesel works tapshift, batmowheel
jacked-up_redneck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 07:58 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

Duramax Boost Lost - YouTube

Made a video trying to illustrate the problem. Whats odd though is that there is no more black smoke than there was before, no external leaks that I can find, and no major loss in performance/boost.

P.S- I normally boost about 20-22psi up here. Dropped to about 16/18psi after this happened...

*head scratches*

Old 11-06-2012, 08:01 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacked-up_redneck View Post
Check the up pipes where they connect to the manifolds and where it connects to the turbo pedestal, and where the turbo mounts to the pedestal. Did you check all the boots our just the ones on the intercooler?
I pulled the driver's side pipe and boots, all looked good. The Pipe had rubbing marks/dents but nothing that looked like a hole.
Just visually checked the pass side pipe/boots. Nothing there.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:01 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

Turns out that where the fuel junction block bolts to on top of the intake manifold, there's two studs/bolts that go there right into the manifold. one was missing and allowing boost pressure to escape. Ran a bolt down into the hole and cured the problem.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:16 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckinator View Post
Turns out that where the fuel junction block bolts to on top of the intake manifold, there's two studs/bolts that go there right into the manifold. one was missing and allowing boost pressure to escape. Ran a bolt down into the hole and cured the problem.
On my way in to work this morning I had the same thing happen to my LBZ, there was an intense sound of air rushing on the drivers side that i didn't notice before... Just like you, i didn't notice any loss in power or increase in smoke. I wonder if it could be the same thing...
Can you give a better description of where the missing bolt was and how you figured it out? I am planning on pulling tonight at the fair but I would like to figure this out so I don't have worse issues...

EFI Live DSP5 tune by Idaho Rob, Suncoast Stage V tranny, Suncoast 1056 torque converter, S&B Cold Air Intake, MBRP Single SS 5" Exhaust, MBRP 5" SS Delete Pipe, MBRP 6" Black Tip, Diamond Eye Down Pipe, Tow Mirrors, Debadged (Except For Allison/Duramax), Amsoil Synthetics, DDM Tuning HIDs High 8500k, Lows 6500k. Fogs 4500k, Westin Ultimate Black Powder Coat Bull Bar, Back Rack, Line-X Over the rails, All season diesel performance steering stabilizer (pitman and idler support), tie rod sleeves
tfskidoo is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2013, 06:04 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

I dont know if the LBZs have it, I only believe the LB7s have that junction block, but dont quote me on that..

#17 in this image is what happened to mine.. It was just flat out gone..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.