Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum

Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum (http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/)
-   01-04.5 LB7 Duramax Powertrain (http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/01-04-5-lb7-duramax-powertrain/)
-   -   Wrist pin knock? (http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/01-04-5-lb7-duramax-powertrain/146819-wrist-pin-knock.html)

jc1843 11-06-2012 05:55 PM

A bad wrist pin will not cause brass to accumulate-- You should consider the worst and pay CHEAP for the truck-- best to find another engine-- it will cost a fortune to rebuilt this engine. Running worth maybe 7-10 grand-- like it is-- maybe $2k

Truck looks good

Ant2093 11-06-2012 06:04 PM

He said there was only a small amount of brass in oil, if rod, main and cam bearings are good, where else would it come from? 2 machine shops I spoke to said that there are bearings in the wrist pin that could cause the knock and flakes. The shop he took it to also stated a failed wrist pin. Good oil pressure would rule out a failed oil pump. A tight and free spinning turbo should rule out a turbo failure and a cam failure. Correct me if I'm wrong. Where else would brass come from that would cause such a knock?

*Was quoted $2500 for an LB7 rebuild. $3000 for rebuild and installation.

Ant2093 11-07-2012 08:37 AM

Well, took a look at the truck today, he said he'll take $4,000, anything less and he's gonna fix it himself. It has some normal rust on the rocker panels and cab corners, interior could use a good cleaning. The carpet on the drivers side was wet, had good floorboards so I'm leaning towards a faulty door seal, or he could left the door/window open. Other than that, the truck seems pretty solid. Took a look at the motor sitting in the garage, everything seems to be accounted for. There was only 1 noticeable small piece of brass in the pan. Rod & mains look fine. Cylinder walls looked pretty good for having 220k on it. There were no gouges or anything like that. Engine does need a need a new flywheel, priced one for $75 at a local boneyard. Now comes the tough part about making the call on grabbing it or passing it up. Its gonna be a project for sure. If I knew a duramax engine as well as I know a cummins, id be all over it. Its gonna be difficult to piece an engine back together that I never worked on or took apart.

DMAXchris 11-07-2012 09:01 AM

There is no bearing in the wrist pin.

Ant2093 11-07-2012 09:49 AM

*brass bushings in wrist pins.

2Lane Racer 11-07-2012 10:21 AM

I paid 5700 for my truck w 168,000. Runs great but needs an injector or two. $4000 seems too high for a non running truck. Mine is not as loaded as yours but seems very mechanically sound. Just my opinion. Good luck.

Ant2093 11-07-2012 10:43 AM

Duramaxes around Ohio usually go for $15k and up. This is the cheapest one I've found in a long time.

Even the rusted out/ beat up ones go for around 12...

livin_4_speed 11-07-2012 01:27 PM

I would pick it up. Even if you put the engine back in to see whats wrong with it, like everyone else said may be an injector. I have seen tons of failed engines and never seen pieces of bushing from a wrist pin in the pan. They should have diagnosed further before tearing down.

Ant2093 11-07-2012 01:38 PM

If it was a failed to injector, why would there be brass residue in the pan? Also worried about reassembly, he's got the motor sitting on one pallet and then a random mess of parts scattered on another pallet plus a full truck bed of stuff (radiator, intercooler, etc.) Idk which parts came from where or if they're even for the truck. I might just pick it up and shell out the coin to have it rebuilt and installed

livin_4_speed 11-07-2012 01:55 PM

I have a wrecked 01 that still runs great. 100 k even, ill sell ya the engine lol