glow plugs - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 02:10 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

glow plugs

Do the California LB7s have the same glow plugs as the Federal? I have a California truck, what type/brand glow plugs do you all recommend? Thanks.
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 12:39 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

Ok, so after playing around on the internet, this is what I found.

Glow PlugsAll Duramax engines use one glow plug per cylinder. The gold-colored LB7 glow plugs are 12-volt heaters that are energized prior to starting the engine, and they may also be operated for a short time after the engine has started (up to 30 seconds). The LLY, LBZ, and LMM engines use silver-colored glow plugs and operate on 4.7 volts.

To meet 2001 California emissions, a solid-state glow plug controller operated by the ECM had dominion over heating each cylinder separately.

During typical glow plug operation, 110-amp current is applied for 1.8 seconds, decreasing to the 30 amps that are necessary to keep the tip at 1,832 degrees F.

The silver (LLY) and gold (LB7) glow plugs can't be interchanged. Use of the gold glow plugs in place of the silver will result in hard starting due to a lack of heat. Using the silver glow plugs in place of the gold will cause possible failure to the glow plugs, cylinder head, and internal engine damage.

Read more: Duramax Diesel Electronics - Diesel Tech - Diesel Power Magazine

So what I take from the above is as long as its a gold glow plug I should be good. And the reason I originally asked the question was that I went on RockAuto to look at pricing and I saw a $31 glow plug that stated California Diagnostics so I guess my next question would be, what does that mean and do I need that?
Old 11-22-2012, 07:25 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

Good info
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.