Help.... Slowly loosing my mind.... - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2012, 10:23 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Help.... Slowly loosing my mind....

Ok, I bought a 2002 Duramax 2500 HD 4x4 because I had been running a V10 and really wanted to go back to a diesel. It has been a huge mistake so far.

I have been having problems with the truck rarely puffing white smoke (sometimes more that others, most times not at all). A rough idle tends to come and go with the smoke. At first I thought I had an injector failing until my most rescent development.

I was leaving a store the other day (one of those times the truck was missing and smoking). The "wait to start" stayed on much longer than usual and was acompanied by a healthy black cloud at start up. I then noticed my engine temp was reading 0* on my Edge however was reading normal on my dash.... Truck ran rough the whole way home and smoked like a train... Large loss of power.

The next day I hooked it to a scanner and discovered the following codes;

P0101 Mass air flow circuit out of range
P0116 Coolant temperature out of range
P0181 Fuel temperature out of range
P0341 CMP circuit out of range
P0380 Glow plug heater circuit problem

I began pulling and tugging at random wires under the hood then checked the vehicle again. It was like magic... The engine stopped smoking, started running smooth, "wait to start" light started working like normal and the temperature gauge started working on my Edge again.

Fast forward to day...

I was driving home and noticed a significant loss of power. When I got home I turned the truck off then went to cycle it back on it the light stayed on a long time again and the black cloud was back. The edge was working again until I started messing around with the harness above teh left valve cover then it stopped again.

Is this a harness problem, PCM, glow plug controller? Im about ready to drive this thing to Yuma and leave teh keys in the ignition....
Edge Attitude
19.5 Wheels with 245 Tires
travistodd1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 06:16 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

The Edge Attitude has been known to mess up the trucks. Try removing it and see how it runs.
EFI Live by Idaho Rob, 356K+ and rolling, Undercover Bed Cover, Vortex spray in bed liner, Westin steps, Bilstein Shocks, Road Master Active Suspension, M/A Pump Rub Kit, MBRP 5" Exhaust, Edge Insight CTS, K&N drop in filter, AirDog II 100 w/ CAT 751, Nicktane w/ CAT, Running on LMM Blacked out Wheels & Michelin LTX M/S2 tires.
ADRENALINE TRUCK PERFORMANCE
APPALACHIAN COAL ROLLERS
Merchant Automotive
Earnhardtfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 06:21 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

I have already tried but no luck. Seems to not matter of its hooked up or not.
Edge Attitude
Old 11-25-2012, 11:36 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

Ok, update here. Even though the Edge was unhooked and the check engine light was off (truck still running like hell). I decided to check to see if tehre were any codes. Guess what.... lots of them.

I cleared everything out and suddenly everything was great again. I am pleased with the fact that the fix turned out to be so simple however disapointed in Edge.

I do still have one problem, when I first start the truck after it has already warmed up it will puff white smoke for a few seconds then it goes away. No problems that I have noticed when driving or on cold starts. It runs smooth and quiet and has normal power. I do get a rich fuel smell at times (again not constant). I do not smell anything in the oil. I have read some posts about injectors and some have mentioned that a glow plug may cause a similar problem. Anyone have any ideas?

Also, thanks Earndhart fan... for the tip.
Edge Attitude
Old 11-25-2012, 01:25 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Good to hear. Definitely look into EFI live, you won't be disappointed. The puff of smoke is not good. Need to see what your balance rates are. Also, some additive could help with the smoking issue. You injectors might be on the way out. I have tried to mod my truck for fuel economy and reliability as you can see in my sig.
EFI Live by Idaho Rob, 356K+ and rolling, Undercover Bed Cover, Vortex spray in bed liner, Westin steps, Bilstein Shocks, Road Master Active Suspension, M/A Pump Rub Kit, MBRP 5" Exhaust, Edge Insight CTS, K&N drop in filter, AirDog II 100 w/ CAT 751, Nicktane w/ CAT, Running on LMM Blacked out Wheels & Michelin LTX M/S2 tires.
ADRENALINE TRUCK PERFORMANCE
APPALACHIAN COAL ROLLERS
Merchant Automotive
Earnhardtfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 01:27 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
Banned

The puff sounds like injector time! Efi live is the way to go for tuning!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
ferdkila is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 03:49 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DF Sponsors

x2^^sounds like it could be your injectors. Id start the easy way by getting your balance rates and possibly your retrun rates checked.

......... Lincoln Diesel Specialties .........
Phone: 920-765-1615

Click here For,
LB7 Injector Install Instructions
Brent@LDS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 03:54 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

If its not constantly smoking at idle and only does it on cold starts start with your glow plugs. After all, you did have a glowplug code to start...if not! Injectors :-) time for some 30% overs and efi

Big Thanks To Adrenaline Truck Performance, Alligator Diesel PerformanceSocal Diesel and Lincoln Diesel Specialties
Thebiggids is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 04:23 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebiggids View Post
If its not constantly smoking at idle and only does it on cold starts start with your glow plugs. After all, you did have a glowplug code to start...if not! Injectors :-) time for some 30% overs and efi
Why 30% overs? Efi live on a stock lb7 fuel system is enough to bend rods and lift heads

ferdkila is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 04:27 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferdkila View Post
Why 30% overs? Efi live on a stock lb7 fuel system is enough to bend rods and lift heads

Why not? Lower pw...lower egts...lower cylinder pressure.

Big Thanks To Adrenaline Truck Performance, Alligator Diesel PerformanceSocal Diesel and Lincoln Diesel Specialties
Thebiggids is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.