New turbo options help - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 09:09 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

New turbo options help

I have a 2003 LB7 and am in the market for a new turbo. What I am looking for in this next turbo is to get the sound of a VVT turbo. I have a LLY turbo in my possession but the more I've read I have seen that its a pain in the A$$ to get it put in my LB7. So if anyone can give me any input on how to get the VVT sound out of my LB7 that would be great or how to get the LLY turbo in my truck. I'm not looking just for sound performance also, so any suggestions will be great!
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 10:28 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
I stay modding my dmax

i think what your talking about is you want more of hissing sound some call it. i would go with ball bearing turbo. precision PT6766 CEA ball bearing turbo. thats the turbo i want when the time and money comes. their pricey but supposed be the best from what i hear. below is thread link of trent nell at extreme prejudice racing turbo kit with the pt6766 in this truck.
Sick sounding turbo for the LB7
TUNING: built trans DSP5 by Tony @ Ridge Runner
FRONT END: built with stock joints
EXTERIOR: pretty far from stock
any questions just ask

New Bosch reman injector's from
Lincoln Diesel Specialties

Last edited by Bonomax; 11-25-2012 at 10:31 PM.
Bonomax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 07:20 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

YES thats the exact sound I am looking for!! I googled it but couldnt find any info for the LB7
Old 11-26-2012, 08:42 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

I think i found it. That sucker runs around 4,000!!!! idk if I can afford all that still being in college and playing a sport so cant get a job. Hopefully i found the wrong one and its actually cheaper haha
Old 11-27-2012, 02:21 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

you know the saying...gotta pay to play, you have a fleece turbo and you dont like it?
Or are you wanting just to upgrade for the size and vvt?

I have an ATS 4000 on my lb7...it whistles ok, although since its modded a bit, im not sure what difference my turbo actually makes as I bought it with the mods I have in my sig...although I am beginning to think that my trans is not built....
Diamond Eye 4 inch turbo back exhaust
Moog problem solver upper and lower ball joints
Blistein 5100's up front
H2's Michelin 265/70/17 E, Ranch hand front bumper. EFI LIVE by Kory Willis
Purchased parts awaiting install:

AD 165,
Special thanks to:Brent@LDS, mrmanners@Synthetic Motorsports, and Kory Willis@latuning
Jesus loves YOU, Have you asked Him to be your Savior yet?
blitzin247 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 07:57 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

Oh I know I gotta pay to play but I can play in a little less way haha if I could get a job I would but with training I can't.. no I don't have any turbo upgrades now. I'm looking into a turbo I hear the fleese makes a nice hisss sound. Anyone know how the s366 sounds ? Would it be worth my whole to just twin it with a s336 and the stocker?
Old 11-28-2012, 02:29 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
I stay modding my dmax

the 366 is pretty small for compound over stocker. stocker is about 60mm and s366 is 66mm not really much bigger. tons of people put s366 in place of stock turbo. yes precision are very expensive. like guy said about you got pay to play specially with duramaxs stuff isnt cheap because you need alot support mods too. the fleece turbo i dont think is worth $2150 for just a stock turbo with 3mm bigger compressor wheel and high flow inconel turbine wheel. ball bearing turbos will whistle pretty good at idle and alot at higher rpm but they are expensive.

if your really trying to save some money try a batmowheel first. i have BMW stage 1 danville i got used for price of rebuilt stock one. its ported stock ihi turbo with batmowheel and stock turbine wheel. with my 4 inch cut open which same as straight pipe or stack it sounds pretty good. jus the wheel itself only $400 give alil more hp and tq and alot better spool up and def whistlers earlier and louder and install isnt too bad. youtube it theres a bunch sound clips in lb7.
TUNING: built trans DSP5 by Tony @ Ridge Runner
FRONT END: built with stock joints
EXTERIOR: pretty far from stock
any questions just ask

New Bosch reman injector's from
Lincoln Diesel Specialties
Bonomax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 01:59 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

I know a lot of people do the batmowheel but my mechanic david browning at DTS down here in GA told me that it is not the way to go. What would be a good twin setup then where i could utilize my stock turbo ?
Old 12-01-2012, 12:01 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

Is all he added in this video the turbo and the controller ? this is exactly what Id want right here
Old 12-01-2012, 12:11 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Hit up scott @ screaming diesel performance. Or mark @ daniville performance. Those two will have any // all answers you would need. As far as twins over a stocker, scott makes a killer kit. S475 over stock. Ive been to his shop and everything was done with care. Takes his time and does things as ordered not mass production...

Big Thanks To Adrenaline Truck Performance, Alligator Diesel PerformanceSocal Diesel and Lincoln Diesel Specialties
Thebiggids is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.