long start time - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 07:42 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

long start time

Hi There-2003 Duramax 6.6-243,000kms-turns over for 10-15 seconds before starting-if it does at all-sometimes takes so long it has to be boosted and prime the filter at the same time to get going.

Dealer told me it was the sensor in the tank-paid 800.00 for it and changed it to no avail.

Dealer says nothing shows on the monitor he plugged in.

No diesel leaks anywhere-new fuel filter.

Important history note-first time dealer gave me the sensor part it was wrong-for a gas motor-so I put the whole thing back together with the old parts-sensor- and it worked beautiful for 3 days-started fast-real fast. Then I filled it up-right to the lid-and right there at the pumps it wouldn't start again? Thats when I went and put the right part in-to no avail.

Now at another dealer who doesnt know either but wants to start tearing it apart. Any suggestione before I let that happen?

Thank you.Mike
underdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 08:37 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Is it holding a prime when you prime the filter? Does it get hard in a few pumps?
|6000k 35W HID's from DDM Tuning|Headlight All-On Mod|Debadged|295/55/20 Trail Grapplers & XD Addicts -12 Offset|EFI by Kory|5" Diamond Eye Exhaust|WeatherTech Floor Mats|Recon Cab Lights (Junk)|ISS Pro Gauges|

2004 White LB7 CCSB-Sold 4/5/13
TNASH481 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 09:39 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

mine started doing the same thing around 240k, new cp3 and never had a problem since.. pump was just getting week, 3000 psi under des pressure at an idle, not good.. maybe check yur actual and des fuel press with a tech II...
auto meter boost/pyro/trans gauges- traction bars- 5'' DE 5" to 7" black mitre cut stack- PPE BIV- AD II 200 lift pump- edge insight CTS- spectre CAI- 45% over injectors- LMM cp3 & FPR -EFI live dsp5 from tony burkhard and danville performance
suncoast stage 4 trans, goerend "ML style" triple disc billet converter
Passin' 35psi on stock IHI with 290k on it
boostnlb7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 10:14 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Could be the filter head needing rebuilt. They can let air in which will cause the truck to lose prime.

If it takes more than a pump or two to get the primer pump hard then that's probably the problem. Easy and cheap fix too.

Sent from my old skool Droid

04 LB7: It's coming along, slowly
gr8shot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 01:33 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

long start time

Hi Guys-cant get this page to show your replies while responding so hope I get everything answered
1/ takes many many pumps to get primer hard
2/sorry what is a cp3?
3/ had pressure checked and it's good
4/ just changed the fuel filter again and still the same

Hope this helps

Thank you.Mike
Old 11-27-2012, 01:43 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

a cp3 is the fuel pump..gr8shot might hav had a good idea going there.. that would explain it losing prime and having to pump n pump for prime...i guess im tapped out of ideas at the moment... my buddies lb7 wont start after its warm but fires right up when cold..and i dont why and neither does he..
auto meter boost/pyro/trans gauges- traction bars- 5'' DE 5" to 7" black mitre cut stack- PPE BIV- AD II 200 lift pump- edge insight CTS- spectre CAI- 45% over injectors- LMM cp3 & FPR -EFI live dsp5 from tony burkhard and danville performance
suncoast stage 4 trans, goerend "ML style" triple disc billet converter
Passin' 35psi on stock IHI with 290k on it
boostnlb7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 05:41 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

The in tank unit is only a fuel gauge sender and a tube for fuel pick-up.

The system uses the injection pump [CP3] to pull the fuel from the fuel tank, through the filter and FICM. Any small leak will allow the pump to suck air, and little fuel. The Filter head seals are cheap from a supporting vendor [GM does not service the seals] and easy to replace. Good place for any one to start when haveing a starting problem.

The LB7 engine -[01-04] has had some injector problems, and one is excessive leaking/passing fuel by the inter seals. That can cause hard starting when warm, but starts OK when cold, because the fuel is more dense when cool. The engine needs around 5,000 psi to start. A injector return test will show if you have a injector problem.
Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, de-badged, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.--- Jerry

Last edited by jc1843; 11-29-2012 at 07:07 AM.
jc1843 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 05:54 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Moving to LB7- truck runs
Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, de-badged, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.--- Jerry
jc1843 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 05:16 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

OK-will now go change the filter head seal and see if that works.

Thanks again guys-appreciate the help.Mike
Old 11-28-2012, 03:49 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

My 2006 LBZ Duramax is doing the same thing. After I crank it forever it fires and runs fine. I originally thought it was the glow plugs not heating. But the mechanics have said the glow plugs are working fine.

Its at the shop right now and the mechanics are puzzled. They've got an 2005 LLY doing the same thing. They've replaced the high pressure fuel pump, and the fuel filter housing and it didn't do anything. They're now replacing injectors on that truck. I'm glad they haven't started pulling mine apart...

Im going to try a couple of things y'all have mentioned. I hope I figure out something.
Please let me know if you find a solution. Thanks Zack.
zackcain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.