injector cups - Page 2 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 11:36 AM   eBay Motors  #11 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

well the red is high temp, which i think i would want... now a guy just told me he puts the injector in the cup, pushes injector/cup in the head by hand as far as he can, then puts the steel hold on clip and bolt in and tightens to push injector and cup down all the way.. some guys have said to push and tap cup in first then install injector..any ideas on that? anyone reading feel free to fill me in, thats why were here.. thanks
auto meter boost/pyro/trans gauges- traction bars- 5'' DE 5" to 7" black mitre cut stack- PPE BIV- AD II 200 lift pump- edge insight CTS- spectre CAI- 45% over injectors- LMM cp3 & FPR -EFI live dsp5 from tony burkhard and danville performance
suncoast stage 4 trans, goerend "ML style" triple disc billet converter
Passin' 35psi on stock IHI with 290k on it
boostnlb7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 11:58 AM   eBay Motors  #12 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

When I just did mine I tapped in the cup with a socket and then put injector in. Don't think it matters as long as u know u got it all the way seated
2004 lb7 ccsb 4x4. Efi live tuned by Rob at ATP, Built trans by Brad at Calvins Auto, Wehrli custom fab s475/stock twin turbo kit, ARP head studs, tie rod sleeves, cognito idler/pitman arm braces, cognito traction bars, airdog 165, turbo horn, LML driver side manifold, cat fuel filter adapter 1r-0749, installed cab lights and tow mirrors. NBS back seats. 6 inch zone offroad lift lowered down and running 305/55/20, optima red tops, Mbrp 5 inch turbo back straight pipe exhaust.

Soon to come: Built motor
dieseladdiction23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 12:02 PM   eBay Motors  #13 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

ok..should the top of the injector cup be flush with the head or will it just bottom out? and id like to get the lock tite thing straightened out due to i will be installing cups this week and want to get the right stuff.. BTW looks like bottom of my cups have red on them.. good/bad?
auto meter boost/pyro/trans gauges- traction bars- 5'' DE 5" to 7" black mitre cut stack- PPE BIV- AD II 200 lift pump- edge insight CTS- spectre CAI- 45% over injectors- LMM cp3 & FPR -EFI live dsp5 from tony burkhard and danville performance
Old 11-27-2012, 12:05 PM   eBay Motors  #14 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

We use the installation tool, then put the injectors in and fill coolant back up. I am sure the red works as well. Just would be concerned possibly of trying to get a sleeve back out at any time. Not sure if anyone has run into a issue with that. The green sleeve retainer we use on all dmax and powerstrokes and never have had one have a issue again. I would need to look to see if the bottle states anything about temp. The ford manual states to use it etc. So if its good enough to hold a pos ford together its good enough for a dmax lol.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:09 PM   eBay Motors  #15 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

U will know when the cup bottoms out, I used the red loctite high temp. I didn't know about this green stuff when I did mine
2004 lb7 ccsb 4x4. Efi live tuned by Rob at ATP, Built trans by Brad at Calvins Auto, Wehrli custom fab s475/stock twin turbo kit, ARP head studs, tie rod sleeves, cognito idler/pitman arm braces, cognito traction bars, airdog 165, turbo horn, LML driver side manifold, cat fuel filter adapter 1r-0749, installed cab lights and tow mirrors. NBS back seats. 6 inch zone offroad lift lowered down and running 305/55/20, optima red tops, Mbrp 5 inch turbo back straight pipe exhaust.

Soon to come: Built motor
dieseladdiction23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 12:17 PM   eBay Motors  #16 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

good point shovel head, on the pos ford thing i like that.. i have my upper rad. hose off so how much cooolant can i put in? and ive never heard of green either but from what shovelhead just stated it seems to work..how much is intall tool? and i got an idea ill put green lok tite on one bank and red on the other..hahaha
Old 11-27-2012, 12:32 PM   eBay Motors  #17 (permalink)

So guys I just grabbed my bottle. It is made by Permatex and it is called High Temp Sleeve Retainer. The part number is 64040. It has 3,000psi of holding power etc. States on the bottle that you may need heat or special tools to take back apart. You don't need the installation tool. You can take a socket that fits the top part of the sleeve and tap them in until they bottom out. Hope this is helpful. Napa, carquest etc carry it.You dont have to put coolant in for it to set up. I was thinking of something else, just like I thought it was made by loctite. Sorry brain fart lol.

Last edited by shovelheadsteve; 11-27-2012 at 12:34 PM.
shovelheadsteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 12:53 PM   eBay Motors  #18 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

lol alright sounds good to me, im sold.. one question will the cup extractor tool get them cups back out a year from now? or in the future i should say..
Old 11-27-2012, 02:57 PM   eBay Motors  #19 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

how do i clean the old lok tite out of the bottom of the hole in my head? just got looking into that today and can still see old lok tite in the bottom where cup seats to the head.. i dont want that stuff in my cylinders, unless its not a big deal, any info guys?/ thanks
Old 11-28-2012, 08:52 AM   eBay Motors  #20 (permalink)

You can try using a injector brush. You can buy them off of the tool trucks. They are used for the old 6.9, 7.3, 5.9 diesel to go into the injector hole and clean it. Then I have taken the end of our shop vac and duck tapped a small hose that will fit down the injector hole into the cylinder onto the shop vac end. Hope this is helpful.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.