lb7 cp3 and turbo help - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 01:07 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

lb7 cp3 and turbo help

hey ya'll, i installed factory direct downpipe in my lb7 while the motor was out 'easy', now i am taking turbo off for upgrade and im not seeing an easy (possible) way to get the direct downpipe off without dropping tranny down..has anyone done this or had the same problem? worthless downpipe anyway..
---next, does the thermostat housing have to come off the front of the motor to get the cp3 out? im almost there.. all help and advise is greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!
auto meter boost/pyro/trans gauges- traction bars- 5'' DE 5" to 7" black mitre cut stack- PPE BIV- AD II 200 lift pump- edge insight CTS- spectre CAI- 45% over injectors- LMM cp3 & FPR -EFI live dsp5 from tony burkhard and danville performance
suncoast stage 4 trans, goerend "ML style" triple disc billet converter
Passin' 35psi on stock IHI with 290k on it
boostnlb7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 01:11 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

Can't help you much on the down pipe issue but I unbolted the t-stat housing when I did mine a few weeks ago. You need as much room as possible, and its easy to remove

"Alice"2002 Chevy Duramax 2500HD
EFI Live, Twin S475 over stock setup built by me and my buddy Suncoast GMAX5 w/Precision ML Converter built by me!:rockin, PPE Lift Pump, PPE Bleed Screw, Mag Deep Pan w/Filter Lock, MBRP Cool Duals, Intake Horn bored out, Cognito UCA's, Airlift AirBags, Onboard Air with 10gal tank, and Walo air horns, Custom two tone paint, Bullhide Bedliner.

http://www.dmaxstore.com/
YOUR DRUAMAX DIESEL-ONLY SHOPPING RESOURCE
wsmithduramax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 01:19 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

is the t-stat housing its own seperate piece ? and bolts on from the front right?
auto meter boost/pyro/trans gauges- traction bars- 5'' DE 5" to 7" black mitre cut stack- PPE BIV- AD II 200 lift pump- edge insight CTS- spectre CAI- 45% over injectors- LMM cp3 & FPR -EFI live dsp5 from tony burkhard and danville performance
Old 11-27-2012, 01:28 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

Cp3

No sorry I missread your post. I was referring to the house that have I believe 4-5 bolt in the top where. The upper radiator hose comes into. I think your asking about the cross over pipe which the thermostats set into. I did not remove the cross over pipe it is not needed. I attached a picture of what I had removed in order to get the cp3 out. And the bolts that you need to remove to get the pump out are somewhat behind that cross over pipe but they can be accessed with a ratchet fairly easily. I did have the fan removed for some extra room and if I remember right I lessened the power steering bracket I think there is 4 bolts. Sorry for the confusion hope that helps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (77.0 KB, 16 views)

EFI Live, Twin S475 over stock setup built by me and my buddy Suncoast GMAX5 w/Precision ML Converter built by me!:rockin, PPE Lift Pump, PPE Bleed Screw, Mag Deep Pan w/Filter Lock, MBRP Cool Duals, Intake Horn bored out, Cognito UCA's, Airlift AirBags, Onboard Air with 10gal tank, and Walo air horns, Custom two tone paint, Bullhide Bedliner.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:39 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

perfect pic!! mine looks just like that now but i havent took intake off yet, so i dont hav far to go.. thanks alot for the help on the cp3 for sure.. still looking for downpipe help everyone, chime in...
Old 11-27-2012, 01:47 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

What down pipe do you have just out of curiosity, I guess if it was me and you didn't need that existing down pipe unless your upgradinging to a modified IHI then I would either cut it in half through the fender well or unbolt the TRANS crossmember and use a jack to lower it a little bit instead of dropping the TRANS. I'm sure it should come out without that much work, might just take some major wiggling. As will the cp3 will take some wiggling and finess too as we'll. good luck

Old 11-27-2012, 02:51 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

i want to go with bigger downpipe, but i want a good solid strategy on changing them without ruining it everytime ya know, incase im workin on someone elses..
Wsmith: how did u clean existing lok tite out from inside the head, after u removed cups? when i look into the hole there is still old lok tite around the bottom where the cup seats to the head.. not sure the proper cleaning technique as i dont want the shit in my cyliders...
its 6:00 p.m where i am and im gonna start cleaning the inj cup ports in the a.m
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.