Dont think its my injectors...... - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 01:44 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Cool Dont think its my injectors......

I have a 2002 with a LB7 in it? I have done a lot of reading on the injectors going bad. The last thing I want to do is replace them and not be my problem. Anyway the problem I am having is smoke at an idol. The smoke seems to be worse once I am driving it and warms up than sits at idol. Donít get me wrong I do get smoke at start up but not as bad than when it is warmed up. I donít believe it is oil, it smells like raw fuel. I have a PPE tuner in it. It does the same thing wither it is set to stock or tune 5. When I read the balance rates on the tuner, the truck is in park and at running temp all the cylinders are reading positive numbers and ranges between .7 (two of the cylinders) and the remaining 6 are right there around 2.6-2.9 according to what I have read on here thatís with in spec? I used to have a random lobe or burst of power sitting at a light. I replaced the fuel pressure regulator and that stopped that problem right away and never returnedÖ I donít know what to do about this smoke. I have been running cleaner in it every time I fill up. Please give me some insight as to what I should look at/test. Injectors where replaces at about 120,000 there is now 281,000. I know thatís a lot for these injectors but still I donít have any that are above 4MS or 3 for the fact of the matterÖ Thank you guys in advanced for the help. Sooo glad I found a good form with good people to talk too.
jake615615 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 01:46 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

Also forgot to mention the truck does not smoke driving down the road only at idol.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:10 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Ppe doesnt read balance rates just pulse width Iirc.

Its injectors dude...id bet on it. Get return rates checked.

Big Thanks To Adrenaline Truck Performance, Alligator Diesel PerformanceSocal Diesel and Lincoln Diesel Specialties
Thebiggids is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 02:12 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Ms = pulse width

Mm3 = balance rates.

Big Thanks To Adrenaline Truck Performance, Alligator Diesel PerformanceSocal Diesel and Lincoln Diesel Specialties
Thebiggids is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 02:27 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Yeah, that raw fuel smell is a dead give away, probably returning to much fuel on one or more of your injectors. Like people always say, balance rates only tell half the story. I've had bad injectors on my old lbz and balance rates weren't showing high numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
devo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 02:38 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

Ok so the ppe is only reading pulse rates? What is that used to do or test anyway? I have heard of people on here say take them out and clean them? is this worth a try? With good/new injectors is there any smoke at all at an idol? What is the best and cheapest ones to buy? i would do them myself. Talked to ppe a while ago and they seem to have the cheapest ones compared to other auto stores.... thanks again for the replies!!
Old 11-27-2012, 04:46 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Like said before, balance rates are onlyhalf the story. It definitely sounds like you need injectors.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:30 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
DF Sponsors

Sounds like Injectors as well, You will want to replace your injectors. They have internal wear and cleaning them will not take care of your problems.

......... Lincoln Diesel Specialties .........
Phone: 920-765-1615

Click here For,
LB7 Injector Install Instructions
Brent@LDS is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 06:35 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

ya call Lincoln Diesel Specialties. Great service and great products! thats were i got my injectors from!

2003 Chevy 2500HD Duramax ZF6 CCSB K&N Cold Air, Diamond eye 4" duals 5" tips, BD SuperMax, LML Driverside Manifold, South Bend Dual Disk Clutch, Fass Platinum 150, EFI Live By Long Horn Fab Shop, PPE Tie-Rod Sleeves, Edge Insight CTS, Autometer Cobalt Guages

2003 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Allison ECSB 4x4 Edge Juice w/Attitude(no hooked up) Other Than That BONE STOCK
wheelinstud09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 06:40 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

I second that go with Brent, their customer service is second to none. And their products are top notch
Diamond Eye 4 inch turbo back exhaust
Moog problem solver upper and lower ball joints
Blistein 5100's up front
H2's Michelin 265/70/17 E, Ranch hand front bumper. EFI LIVE by Kory Willis
Purchased parts awaiting install:

AD 165,
Special thanks to:Brent@LDS, mrmanners@Synthetic Motorsports, and Kory Willis@latuning
Jesus loves YOU, Have you asked Him to be your Savior yet?
blitzin247 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.