NEW injector nozzles, 3 miles WHITE SMOKE!!! - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 10:18 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

NEW injector nozzles, 3 miles WHITE SMOKE!!!

I have been working at a diesel shop in Irving, TX for the last couple weeks. Nothing big just helping with assembly and disassembly. Because of my help I was able to use the shop over the weekend with the supervision of the owner. We took apart my LB7 and cleaned out the injectors completely. We replaced the stock injector nozzles with some 80+hp Bosch nozzles from USDieselparts.com. Cylinder #6 had the injector cup come out with the injector. We drained the fluid and seated it with 272 loctite. I also replaced the CP3 inlet, with a PPE 70% larger inlet.

After installing and reassembly, an oil change, and new Dex-cool/Water we ran it for about an hour and everything went well, with the exception on a ticking on the passenger side of the engine, after revving it up some, and killing it and starting it back up that went away. Took it on a test drive and it was going great. Let it run again for about 20 minutes while we washed it down and it went great.

I went to go home and got less than 2 miles from the shop and it started to idle rough. Turned around to go back to the shop (where my motorcycle was), and at a stop light it started to pour out white smoke. Not just a little but a ton. No codes though.

I had gotten used to the little haze that was there from knowing that the injectors were out. Back at the shop the owner came out to look at it and we were all puzzled. 2 certified diesel techs, and 3 guys who know a ton about diesels, and 2 of us who just help with the little stuff.

The owner plugged into the OBD-II to see if something would come up, then all of a sudden it showed the SES light, after running the code it says that Cylinder #4 is misfiring.

What would cause that? We are going to take apart the passenger side of the engine tomorrow and see if we can find something. And replace the copper o-ring and hope that fixes it. But if any of you know of something like this that has happened to you or someone else please let me know.

And although I am new to this forum I have been in forums for over 10 years and did do a search on every word phrase I could think of. And nothing was the same. All of the smoke with injectors was different in some way.

Thanks in advance.
Bosch 90+hp Injectors
PPE 70% CP3 inlet
14.6 mpg/avg before mods!
pjmayher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 10:29 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

Another thing is now there is a little blow-by, there was never any before the injector change.
Bosch 90+hp Injectors
PPE 70% CP3 inlet
Old 12-03-2012, 11:38 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Sounds like a stuck injector to me and that might have burned up a piston.
www.alligatorperformance.com
DMAXSTORE.COM
chevy71pickupman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 12:18 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

I wan't wanting to hear that. I hope its just a fact that it needs to have some timing taken out. But as I was reading some of the other posts I saw that one guy had some of the same problems and he had a bad piston. Or that the injector didn't seat right with the cup or something simple like that (except having to get back into the engine bay).
Bosch 90+hp Injectors
PPE 70% CP3 inlet
Old 12-04-2012, 12:36 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

How long did you let the loctite cure for? Possible it didnt cure and your just burning coolant.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:18 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

The Loctite was cured for 24 hours. And that was cylinder 6 and the code is for cylinder 4.
Bosch 90+hp Injectors
PPE 70% CP3 inlet
Old 12-04-2012, 10:49 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Well today when I got to the shop I completely tore down the passenger side of the engine. And with direction from the owner I retorqued the injector bars down to 37 ft lbs instead of the original 22 ft lbs. reassembled it and it ran the same. After doing a compression test 1) 500 2) 600 3) 500 4) 100-200 bouncing around a ton. And it was going with the way the truck was running.

We think it might be a bent rod that isn't opening the exhaust valves on cylinder 4 and 8. Causing it to lope really bad and having the white smoke out of the tail pipe.

Only bad thing is that I have to go out of town tomorrow for 5 days and won't be able to get back to it till Monday. I hope that the conversation on here will pick up a little bit and maybe help me get to the bottom of this.
Bosch 90+hp Injectors
PPE 70% CP3 inlet
Old 12-04-2012, 11:31 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Yea i would say stuck injector melted the piston.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:07 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

I would say if your compression is down it's time to pull the head and check the pistion, that gasket and even the head for cracks/damage. if you really feel like its an injector try moving it to a different position but be warned if it was the injectors that stuck and ruined the pistion then moving it will damage another one.

But on a side note consider your self lucky that you are in a position to learn from some other experienced guys.

But if it was me.......pull the head and look for carnage.....
MBRP 4" stright exhaust + downpipe
Bill's Custom 4" Horn and Intake
Edge CTS used for gages
Nictane Adaptor
Stage V Transmission
EFI Tunes by Wade
Mr. Neptune is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 03:49 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

did you say you torn down the pass side right side for number 4 number four is the left side second one driver side . sounds like a injector
05 3500 ccdrw lly, complete lbz banks ram-air intake set-up with with super scoope, egr deleted profab intake elbow , diamond eye 4' duals , diamond eye down pipe and no kitty efi by full throttle customs , edge insight cts for gauges ,lbz mp. and fuildamper .pcv reroute,right and left side boost tubes, banks techi cooler ppe ported fitting , afe rear diff cover magtec trans pan ,does it ever end airdog 2 165 bd manifold, merchant transfercase brace and rub kit , transgo jr, custom convertor . earls 82510aerl for trans cooler ,hellwig bigwig rear sway bar , fleece tap shifter

www.alligatorperformance.com
www.merchant-automotive.com
www.madjacksynthics.com
happyduramax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.