Duramax won't start...shutoff switch somewhere? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 09:14 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Duramax won't start...shutoff switch somewhere?

I have a 2003 chevy hd truck. The other day my truck turned off while the truck was idling. I noticed a coolant leak and indeed one of the heater hoses had bursted allowing the coolant to drain. I was observing the temperature gauge and the truck never overheated. I was told that the truck has a water level switch that once it detect low coolant level will shut off the engine.

Since then I replaced the hose, filled it coolant and attempted to start it. The truck still will not start. I did some further troubleshooting my priming the fuel pump, disconnecting the battery allowing time for the computer to reset. However after the troubleshooting the truck still will not start.

A colleague said it seemed that fuel is not being supplied to the engine. Do these trucks have a fuel cutoff/reset switch? If so where is it located? Any help on this matter will be greatly appreciated.
rrangel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 10:24 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
كافر
Lifetime Supporting Member

Re-prime your fuel filter, start by cracking the bleed screw, then pump away till you see diesel, close the bleed screw, pump the primer again, should get hard to pump. If not, you have a air leak somewhere in your fuel system...
LBZ CCSB 4x4. sealed. blocked. re-routed. shimmed. EFI by Kory 4" MBRP downpipe-back. Alligator trans cooler hoses. 3" Pro-Fab downpipe. Transgo Jr. Banks ram air intake. MA pump rub fix. Rare Parts tie rods. Fumoto Valve. AirDog 150. Nicktane CAT filter adapter.

http://performancetruckproducts.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin6 View Post
You know the real problem is not Obama
It's the millions who put him in office and twice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Smith
"When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away."
ty_LBZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 10:46 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

no such switch fuel wise, or coolant wise(I may be wrong) so your primer pump button, was it stiff or was it soft
gold star of excellence award winner 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duraskank View Post
5" = deeper sound. 4" = more of that pissed off two owls havin angry sex dmax sound at WOT.
a proud owner of a pound seven
usafduramax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 06:55 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

I attempted to re prime the fuel system. The primer pump button did get stiff. I performed the troubleshooting below:
1. Check all connections from the FICM.. all connections checked out
2. Check all fuses... a couple were blown, they were replaced.
3. Replaced the fuel filter. Checked the fuel filter seals and hardware for damaged such as cracks that could lead to air leaks. Everything looked to be in good condition.

The truck still will not start. At this point in time I believe there are two possible culprits which includes fuel injectors or the fuel pump. Both of which are extremely pricey. Do you'll know a procedure to troubleshoot these component(s). A friend (diesel mechanic) is coming over tomorrow with specialty testing equipment which hopefully will pinpoint the faulty component(s).

Thoughts?

Thanks
Old 12-12-2012, 08:20 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Sub

Sent from my GT-I9100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
2007 Chevy 2500HD CLASSIC LBZ crew cab long bed LT 4X4 EFI Live by ATP...stock, heavy tow with brake, light tow with brake, street/economy, FUN 120HP ...MBRP 4" downpipe back with muffler, Edge CTS for gauges and edge expandable EGT probe, ppe frprv shim kit, egr race plate ADII 165, Transgo Jr. ,ATP tie rod sleeves , 125k miles(and counting), 265/75/16 tires pyo wheels, B&W hitch with companion, prodigy P3, husky liners front and back, Lund running boards, garmin50lm
Rumpeltiltskin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 08:18 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

im having same problem with my 01 if u have figured urs out let me know i need help thanks....
Brian Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 05:30 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Okay...the bad news...my truck still will not start.

I checked the fuel lines (see picture) and one of the lines in unterminated. Should this be terminated or plugged? Could this be introducing air into the system not allowing my truck to start?

Looking ahead if this not my issue I will continue with the following. I'm looking for input/guidance in my troubleshooting.

1. Pressure testing the fuel system and checking for leaks. I read a post where peeps suggested to install a specialty cap with a shredder valve in order to pressurize the system to 8 psi. Once it's pressured up then take water and put in fuel line termination to check for leaks. Has anyone done this in the past? Is there any chance of damaging anything? Thoughts?

2. Check the fuel pressure in the fuel rail assembly. I would like to put an inline gauge on one of the fuel lines and the fuel rail, then crank the truck and check the pressure. What is the specification on the pressure that I should obtain? If the pressure is below spec does this mean a bad fuel pump? I would also like to test my fuel pressure regulator. Is there a way I can do this while installed on the truck. Perhaps it' s best if I remove the fuel pressure regulator and bench test it. How do I bench test the fuel pressure regulator? I have a snap on versus scan tool....any suggestion on which parameters to check with the scanner?

!!!!!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130209_175042.jpg (60.5 KB, 40 views)
Old 02-09-2013, 05:42 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
كافر
Lifetime Supporting Member

Don't put water in your fuel lines. Connect everything, fuel system wise, pressurize the tank with a shop vac, look for leaks. If no leaks are found, crack open the bleeder screw ( with shop vac still attached) you should get fuel at the bleed screw.
LBZ CCSB 4x4. sealed. blocked. re-routed. shimmed. EFI by Kory 4" MBRP downpipe-back. Alligator trans cooler hoses. 3" Pro-Fab downpipe. Transgo Jr. Banks ram air intake. MA pump rub fix. Rare Parts tie rods. Fumoto Valve. AirDog 150. Nicktane CAT filter adapter.

http://performancetruckproducts.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin6 View Post
You know the real problem is not Obama
It's the millions who put him in office and twice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Smith
"When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away."
ty_LBZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.