White smoke when cold, Black under Acceleration - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 09:47 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

White smoke when cold, Black under Acceleration

I'm back. Throwing a glow plug code and when I start the truck up, it starts harder than normal, but starts and runs smooth. It's about 27 degrees outside and when idling it has a white smoke but it dissipates in the air quick. When I put under a little acceleration, it turns coal black and thick. Is this just the cold motor because of the glow plug code. Taking it the shop soon to check the module. Please tell me this is a cold motor issue and not injectors. I just did them like 10k ago. No power issues and runs like a champ. Can the white smoke come from unburnt fuel then turn black as I add more. This would indicate either a cold engine or a boost leak. Turbo is still a little laggyl
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 09:58 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

The white smoke is probably just steam. The exhaust can make steam just like gassers can. Usually it only does if when its quite a bit colder out. Gassers will do it at like 50* or colder, usually a diesel only does it when its well below freezing. The black smoke though shouldn't happen unless the truck is tuned. In which case it should do it the same every time.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide App

04 LB7: It's coming along, slowly
gr8shot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 10:11 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

I did do the intake horn mod when I had it off. Any sensors I need to check while I'm under the hood that could cause beside MAF?

Last edited by reifwj; 02-20-2013 at 10:13 AM.
reifwj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 10:23 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

Just cleaned MAF, and still there. Will try taking the air filter off on the way to the shop and see if it clears as it warms. Wasn't doing it when I parked it after the new CP3 a few days ago
Old 02-20-2013, 12:21 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

I wouldn't suggest running any engine you care about without an air filter!

How long did you drive the truck? Did it sound abnormally loud once you got it up to temp?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide App

04 LB7: It's coming along, slowly
gr8shot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 12:28 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

No it's quieter after new cp3. Pressurized the system with shop vac after I got the thermostat housing off and no leaks. I know I had oil in my intercooler tube on the driver side. Really afraid my turbo is crapping out.

I thought twice about the air filter. It did smoke less after it warmed up but more than it used to before the new pump. Any sensor I should look at?
Old 02-20-2013, 09:38 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Finally got it on the highway. Runs brand new, but when I let off the throttle I can hear what I would say is a lifter on a gasser. It doesn't really seem to speed up or slow down, and it is quiet enough I can not hear it unless I am off the throttle or going up a grade in a higher gear.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.