Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum

Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum (http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/)
-   01-04.5 LB7 Duramax Powertrain (http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/01-04-5-lb7-duramax-powertrain/)
-   -   leak on front passenger side coming down intercooler boot (http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/01-04-5-lb7-duramax-powertrain/163935-leak-front-passenger-side-coming-down-intercooler-boot.html)

rnkburg 04-21-2013 09:20 PM

leak on front passenger side coming down intercooler boot

I pulled in from work tonight and notice a wet spot on the concrete on the very front passenger side of my 04 duramax 3500. I smelled the fluid, touched it, felt it etc. It's an uncommon smell to me, didn't smell like antifreeze, or tranny fluid. Crawled up under there with the handy cell phone flash light and notice a wetness / possible drip coming down my passenger side intercooler pipe.

I towed my 5'er yesterday for about 100 miles bringing it home for the dealer, and no leaks when I arrived, no leaks overnight when I left early this am. No one drove the truck today, or even started it. And now this leak. Just had (within a week ago) the water pump replaced, engine never got hot yesterday.

What is this leak, and where is it coming from? Anyone else ever experienced this. I did a search on here, and on google. Saw something about a tranny line going to cooler, and / or coolant. I know that i need a new low coolant sensor, but parts house was out. Rad is full, just the info thing says it's low.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

07keo02 04-21-2013 09:44 PM

Look at the heater pipe that runs from the firewall down up above the passenger intercooler pipe. It has a bracket welded to it that bolts it to the engine. They are known to drip there, right onto the intercooler pipe. I know you said it didn't smell like coolant but that sounds like the exact same place mine was dripping from.

rnkburg 04-21-2013 09:56 PM

I will check that out in the morning. It was a strange place to see a leak, hopefully that is not an expensive leak. I have had this truck a month and this little stuff is driving me insane.

rnkburg 04-21-2013 10:23 PM

Is this the pipe that you are talking about Heater Pipe If so, did you change it, does it take special tools to remove, or is this a diy type fix

07keo02 04-21-2013 10:26 PM

That's it, same place I got mine, which is still hanging on the wall. Mine was leaking a lot worse when I had a lifted injector cup and my system was over pressurizing. I tried to change it one time but it does require some kind of disconnect at the firewall to press in the tabs for it to pop off. You can separate the new one and just replace the metal but I would rather change the whole thing. Once I fixed my lifted cup mine leaked so little that I haven't messed with it.

rnkburg 04-21-2013 10:37 PM

I will check it tomorrow. I got a good duramax guy here in town, and another buddy that specializes in them as well. I am sure one of them has the tool if this is what needs to be changed.

rnkburg 04-22-2013 12:39 PM

Yep, that is what it appears to be. Could see a drip on the intercooler pipe actually drip when I checked it this am. The part is discontinued from GM, so Merchant Auto is the only place I could find it. Should be here Wednesday. I hope that is all that I need.