leak on front passenger side coming down intercooler boot - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2013, 09:20 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

leak on front passenger side coming down intercooler boot

I pulled in from work tonight and notice a wet spot on the concrete on the very front passenger side of my 04 duramax 3500. I smelled the fluid, touched it, felt it etc. It's an uncommon smell to me, didn't smell like antifreeze, or tranny fluid. Crawled up under there with the handy cell phone flash light and notice a wetness / possible drip coming down my passenger side intercooler pipe.

I towed my 5'er yesterday for about 100 miles bringing it home for the dealer, and no leaks when I arrived, no leaks overnight when I left early this am. No one drove the truck today, or even started it. And now this leak. Just had (within a week ago) the water pump replaced, engine never got hot yesterday.

What is this leak, and where is it coming from? Anyone else ever experienced this. I did a search on here, and on google. Saw something about a tranny line going to cooler, and / or coolant. I know that i need a new low coolant sensor, but parts house was out. Rad is full, just the info thing says it's low.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
rnkburg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2013, 09:44 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

Look at the heater pipe that runs from the firewall down up above the passenger intercooler pipe. It has a bracket welded to it that bolts it to the engine. They are known to drip there, right onto the intercooler pipe. I know you said it didn't smell like coolant but that sounds like the exact same place mine was dripping from.
EFI live with DSP5, Nicktane Aux Filter adapter and Filter head adapter with CAT water separator and 2 micron filter, Raptor 150 lift pump with check valve bypass, MA Engine Mounts and Trans Mount, MA Pump Rub Kit, SBC Dual disc, Straight pipe, Roadmaster active supension, Moog pitman/Idler/Support Bracket, Cognito support kit, Rare parts tie rods, Profab Turbo Horn, Intake heater delete, Kennedy high idle and airbox mod
07keo02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2013, 09:56 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

I will check that out in the morning. It was a strange place to see a leak, hopefully that is not an expensive leak. I have had this truck a month and this little stuff is driving me insane.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:23 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Is this the pipe that you are talking about Heater Pipe If so, did you change it, does it take special tools to remove, or is this a diy type fix
Old 04-21-2013, 10:26 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

That's it, same place I got mine, which is still hanging on the wall. Mine was leaking a lot worse when I had a lifted injector cup and my system was over pressurizing. I tried to change it one time but it does require some kind of disconnect at the firewall to press in the tabs for it to pop off. You can separate the new one and just replace the metal but I would rather change the whole thing. Once I fixed my lifted cup mine leaked so little that I haven't messed with it.
EFI live with DSP5, Nicktane Aux Filter adapter and Filter head adapter with CAT water separator and 2 micron filter, Raptor 150 lift pump with check valve bypass, MA Engine Mounts and Trans Mount, MA Pump Rub Kit, SBC Dual disc, Straight pipe, Roadmaster active supension, Moog pitman/Idler/Support Bracket, Cognito support kit, Rare parts tie rods, Profab Turbo Horn, Intake heater delete, Kennedy high idle and airbox mod
07keo02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2013, 10:37 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

I will check it tomorrow. I got a good duramax guy here in town, and another buddy that specializes in them as well. I am sure one of them has the tool if this is what needs to be changed.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:39 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Yep, that is what it appears to be. Could see a drip on the intercooler pipe actually drip when I checked it this am. The part is discontinued from GM, so Merchant Auto is the only place I could find it. Should be here Wednesday. I hope that is all that I need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.