2002 Duramax fuel filter primer - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2007, 08:38 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

2002 Duramax fuel filter primer

I just changed fuel filters and was pumping up the system with the little plunger on top of the filter housing when I noticed fuel running out from the base of the plunger pump. I removed the 3 screws that hold the plunger in place. Then remover the pump assembly. Inside there is 2 O-ring type seals the top one was damaged. Apparently one seal alone is letting fuel past it. If fuel can get past it then also air.

My question is where is there a source for buying new seal, O-rings whatever you want to call them?
If possible please also reply to me direct
mikesaero@ubtanet.com

Last edited by mikesaero; 09-30-2007 at 09:28 PM. Reason: double worded
mikesaero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2007, 10:30 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Your best bet would be to match it up with one at the autoparts store. GM won't just sell you the o-ring. You need to buy the whole filter head assembly from them and it runs about $600.
TST Powermax Programmer, Diablosport Predator
305/70-16 BFG T/A KOs on Eagle Alloys Series 187
Clifford remote start. High Idle, Bilstein 5100s, 1.5" lift blocks
CAT fuel filter w/ nicktane adapter
Magnum Force Stage 2 intake with AMSOIL filter
Racor 2 Micron pre-OEM with heater & water sep
Lightforce 140s from Madjackracing
http://WWW.ATPTRUCKS.COM/
ob_1jr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2007, 06:18 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

O-rings primer pump

Wow, thats not good news. GM is bound to have some un-happy customers if some substitutions can't be found! I checked a few auto parts houses Saturday and found nothing that was similiar. Hopefully Monday I can try some of the big truck service centers.

Thanks for the feedback... Mike
Old 09-30-2007, 06:36 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

Check with NAPA, they should pull out a big box/assortment, pick through them until you find a match, might be metric.
gunny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2007, 09:08 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Thanks Gunny

These o-ring looking seals are actually a springless hydraulic lip seal. 10 out of 10 auto parts places didn't have anything close. The GM dealerships are very willing to help but have no breakdown of parts. They have the whole fuel filter housing ($610.00) as ob_1jr. pointed out. The dealership was willing to knock off a hundred bucks but I don't want the extra work of changing out all the hoses to the new housing and it seems sick and wrong to rob one or two seals out of a 5 or 6 hundred dollar unit.
I went to a Wheeler Caterpillar dealership today and his supplier has a few of the seals in stock. I ordered a FEW extra, Next Day Air UPS. Hopefully they will work! The seals are supposed to be here tomorrow, so on the bicycle one more day.

Thanks mike

Last edited by mikesaero; 10-01-2007 at 02:47 PM.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:47 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

Thumbs up Duramax primer seals

I found a reasonable replacement seal for the little primer pump. Sure beats 5 to 6 hundred bucks for a new filter assembly!
I ordered a few extra if anyone has trouble with the old seals. You can contact me through the forum or direct.
mikesaero@ubtanet.com (I'm no expert on the automotive end but contact us for complete service, specializing in recovering of fabric aircraft)
Old 10-30-2007, 02:24 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

I just ordered four NU15-1.18 (1 3/16" x 1 1/2" x 5/32") BUNA 80A "Round Rubber Lip Seals" from Hydrapak after talking with Mike last night.

I ordered from George (george@hydrapakseals.com) HydraPak Seals: Your source for o-rings, gaskets, machined seals, polyseals, sheet goods, custom kits and more

Thanks Mike.
doc5339 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2007, 02:50 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

Do any of you know what the part # is for the metal bleeder screw for the priming pump?

R/

Jake
doc5339 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2007, 07:41 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
Administrator

no, but I believe kennedydiesel.com or gmdieseltech.com has them in stock.
TST Powermax Programmer, Diablosport Predator
305/70-16 BFG T/A KOs on Eagle Alloys Series 187
Clifford remote start. High Idle, Bilstein 5100s, 1.5" lift blocks
CAT fuel filter w/ nicktane adapter
Magnum Force Stage 2 intake with AMSOIL filter
Racor 2 Micron pre-OEM with heater & water sep
Lightforce 140s from Madjackracing
http://WWW.ATPTRUCKS.COM/
ob_1jr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2008, 08:41 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

Red face Duramax Primer Pump Orings

I have had many calls regarding the orings for the primer pump I can get these orings the only problem is i either need sample o-rings sent to me ot possible get some one to get me the Inner and outer diameter of the oring, if possible to take the groove depth and width of where the Oring goes I see that the thickness of the o-ring was sent to me but I need a sample if someone can get me one I know I hae repalcements for these orings. So if anyone can get back to me as soon as they can so I can help you out. You can reach me at george@hydrapakseals or call 1-800-669-9638 HYDRAPAKS SEALS INC.
Mugz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.