Replacing Injectors on a LB7 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2009, 10:06 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Replacing Injectors on a LB7

I have a 2004 2500HD LB7. How big a job is it to replace injectors? I'm out of warranty so I can't get the dealer to do it, plus they kind of rape you. Any help would be appreciated
bklk119 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2009, 10:12 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

are you over 200,000 miles?
Mods: transparts stage IV, S/C 1056 converter (built by me), EFI live w/ DSP2, LBZ fuel pressure regulator, 5" flo pro exhaust 6" dual wall tip, airdog 150, PPE billet pickup tube, K&n cold air intake, LB7 mouth piece mod, tripple piller gauge mount w/ fuel pressure,egt and boost, GM touch screen navigation, extang soft bed cover, tow mirrors, debadged
Wheels & Tires: 20"x10" eagle wheels and 33"x12.5"x20" nitto mud grapplers
03lb7dmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2009, 10:14 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

It's not hard at all, the only hard part is remembering where everything goes when you put it back together, if you can remember where the bolt's go it will be easy.

use the search button someone had a really good write up on here, step by step with pictures.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:47 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

I got 209573 miles on it. They were replaced at about 130000 by the dealer. I took it to a shop because it was smoking some and I thought it was injectors. He said it was within specs. but it still smoked what I considered was a lot. I posted on this board about it the other day Under Light Gray to white smoke. The reply's I got said injectors. My next question would be do you replace them all or just the bad ones and how do you tell the bad ones?
bklk119 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2009, 12:07 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

the solenoid is what usually goes out on the injector not the injector itself
Turbo: Turbonetics GTK 650 with PPE Pedestal
Electonics: EFI LIVE tuned by Jess
Fuel: Fass Fuel system
Tranny: Transparts stage 4 & ML precision converter
2011 6.7 cummins ccsb laramie metallic grey DPF/EGR fell off
quix51889 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2009, 06:28 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

Well my friend I just replaced all 8 in mine. I had tested only 3 bad and 1 iffy injector.So thought I would change the 4 out!!Bad move..did the same damn thing. Went back to the DSG Diesel shop and they then informed me that one of the other ones could have skewed the test reults...so I should have changed them all. So I changed the other 4 and it is like a dream now. Its not a mosquito smoker. I mean a little smoke aint bad..but shit when it would sit and idle for a while and then i would take of it was smoking out the 4 cars behind me!!LOL. And once up to speed and running at higher revs it would clear and be fine...but then if it sat for a bit, the smoke would slowly return. I will leave a few links here from when I was investigating this same issue.

By the way since yours is the LB7 model like mine you have the internal injectors as well and will need to remove the uperr and lower valve covers. Time consuming job, but I'd do it again if I had to. And don't get sucked into the extra expense on the puller. Mine is an 01 and I had no trouble pulling by hand..except on i had to put a little pry bar hook under and help it a bit. Don't cheap out and make sure you get all the gaskets required for the rails. And I had bought one spare Cup/insert where the injector slides into incase I found one that popped out when pulling the injector. This was recommended on some other threads. Anyway good luck and don't hesitate to PM me if you need any assistance.

Here is a link:

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/91...injectors.html

Cheers
All Stock...For now
bluearc74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2009, 07:10 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

i've had mine torn down that far, had the injectors out but didnt need replaced. its not a hard job by any means just time consuming. it can be done by anyone with tools and a weekend to commit to the job.

1016 hp

7.1 1/8 @ 100

11.27 @ 105
delong_1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2009, 07:29 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

Where is the best place, price wise and quality, to get replacements?
GMC '04 2500HD SLE CC D/A LB7 SB Summit White, LineX, Nicktane, JK headlight harness, JK fuel pump and harness, Banks exhaust, EFI Live, intake horn mod, Suncoast 6 speed conversion, injectors at 112,265 (#8 again at 136K), ...and all 8 again at 168,368.
VW '02 Jetta Wagon TDI 6 spd ERF manual, DLC520 Bosio nozzles, Malone stage 2.
VW '01 Bug TDI 6 spd ERF manual, T-4 injectors, Malone stage 2 tuning. My FUN summer driver.
Fuel mileage? Who cares, its a diesel.
audiomixer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2009, 07:33 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

I am having the same problem. Have 238832 miles and injectors never been replaced. I figure I will replace them when I get back from deployment, give me time to save some money for the injectors and all the gaskets.
5" MBRP
285/75-16 Trxus, 16x8 Pro Comp
filipinoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2009, 10:23 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

audiomixer...as for parts I went to the stealers and got the Bosch Reman injectors for 275 a piece plus taxes. They are regular 350 but if you know someone that has a business just put it under there account and its worth the savings. As for the Ebay crap...don't get suckered into them. It is not worth the headaches and the possibility of having to redo the job over saving some money. I am not a fan of the stealers parts service..but this I recommend. And for reliability wise it is always pointing towards these new updated Bosch Remans that GM is selling anyway. Good Luck
All Stock...For now
bluearc74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.