LB7 Injector Issues? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2008, 01:56 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

LB7 Injector Issues?

Hi there,

I own a 2001 Duramax with LB7 engine bone stock. I have just rolled over 90K miles, and recently met a guy who used to be a service manager for a local Chevy dealership. He told me that I should be expecting to have Injector issues very soon. The truck is currently running great as it has been since I bought it with 65K miles on it over a year ago. I understand there is a 7yr/200K warranty, but this runs out on my truck in a few months. Is my truck doomed to have this injector issue? Are there any LB7's out there that are spared this horrible fate? Should I trade my truck in for a newer Duramax?

Thanks!
palposity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2008, 02:01 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

Welcome to DF. Yes, the injectors were a issue in the LB7 and yes there are plently of LB7's running around that have never had injector issues. The injectors carry a hefty price if done by a GM dealer if that issue ever arises.

I wouldn't go out and sell my truck just because of the thought of the injectors going bad. Best of luck.
Rollin Smoke Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2008, 02:15 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
Yep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin Smoke Diesel View Post
Welcome to DF. Yes, the injectors were a issue in the LB7 and yes there are plently of LB7's running around that have never had injector issues. The injectors carry a hefty price if done by a GM dealer if that issue ever arises.

I wouldn't go out and sell my truck just because of the thought of the injectors going bad. Best of luck.
-X2- with Rollin Smoke. You have to realize that of the thousands of these trucks on the road you only ever hear of the ones with prob. There are many that can go for ever with no probs. at all. Thy all have there problems no matter what year you by or what brand you own. Look at ford and its cool flame throwing mod that comes at no charge from the factory. I have the 01 LB7 and its had injectors at 118,000 will it need them again who knows? would i trade it for a newer one because of it NO. I just started saving for the time i need new injectors if the prob should come up again. BTW it will run you around $5000 to have it done by the GM stealer or around $2800 to do it your self.

01 Dmax CC, SB, 2wd
"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent". - Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duraskank View Post
So basically this is the only time I'm allowed to call you a giant douchebag pickle smoocher without getting an infraction.

2012 Duramax Forum Best Troll Award Winner for Promoting Jmaz to Admin

deeretracks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2008, 02:17 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
Yep!

BTW welcome to the DF hope you enjoy

01 Dmax CC, SB, 2wd
"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent". - Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
So basically this is the only time I'm allowed to call you a giant douchebag pickle smoocher without getting an infraction.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:25 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Thank you

I appreciate your help. I purchased a couple cases of STP diesel injector cleaner (really cheap on ebay) and I've been using one bottle in the tank each time I fill up in hopes that the injector system will be cleaned out nice and last longer. I'm hoping for the best. I sure like my truck. I've driven dodges and I find the Duramax to be vastly superior. I hope to own it for a long time.

Thanks.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:44 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
Yep!

One thing that you might consider looking into that Im planning on doing my self is adding a second fuel filter set up. The Oem filter only filters down around a 10 micron particle. It has been fount that a 7micron particle size is what kills the injector by letting it through. its just the right size to cause damage win it passes through. I have the Info on it some were if you want i will try to find it and post it.

01 Dmax CC, SB, 2wd
Quote:

Old 01-22-2008, 02:49 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Thanks deeretracks

I would love to see the info on the 2nd filter. That is a great idea too. I look forward to hearing on that. Thanks again for your help.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:32 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

DeerTracks

Since I to worry about the fuel rails, I would like to see what you have on the second filter. I have been wanting to add one also. Thanks for the info...
EFI Live - Idaho Rob
GMAX w/Raybestos
1056 TC
Trans Go Jr.
B&W Gooseneck w/Companion
Michelin AT2
2013 Honda CrossTour, 2002 Honda Civic, 1991 Chevrolet 1500 Step Side, 2003 GMC LB7 CC/LB (sold) , 2012 Keystone Alpine 3600RS
Shov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2008, 06:55 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
Yep!

Duramax Fuel Filter Kit Here is some reading for you on the secondary filter setup.

01 Dmax CC, SB, 2wd
Quote:

Old 04-01-2008, 03:48 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Injectors problems

I also own a 2001 Chevy Duramax. Yes I have had injector problems and other things. I have 155,000 miles and the problems started around 100,000. So far Chevy has said that none of the problems were a warranty issue. 3 injectors have failed at different times. When one goes it sounds like you through a rod and major black smoke comes out. Don't panic, the truck will not quit running. I drove mine several miles the the next stop. Chevy told me I could drive it home, but I decided to just tow it. Chevy charged me $1000 to replace the one injector. So I did some research and found that O'Reilly's auto parts sells them for around $300.00 and the gasket kit for $71.00. It is not that bad of a job to change a injector. I am working on coming up with a special tool kit to remove the injectors.
A few other problems to watch out for. Head gaskets , front wheel hubs, and water pump. Good luck and watch secondary fuel filters. They can cause pumps to go out because of lack of flow. Chevy designed the fuel filter to flow at a specific amount. If a better filter is installed it might restrict the flow under load. What I mean is, your engine could be starving for fuel when you step on it. So be careful and just change the filter every 10,000. I have just done some research on this and I am going to start this on my truck.
DRENAUDJR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.