2004 duramax multiple problems - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2010, 09:07 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

2004 duramax multiple problems

i have a 2004 duramax diesel 2500hd 4x4 with 125000 miles it has the banks big hoss bundle a 6 inch fabtech lift and 37 in tires... i have been having problems since i got the truck 2 years ago with the fuel gauge it hits a 1/4 and im out i dropped the fuel tank and noticed the fuel float was cracked and figured that was my problem i just put it back in being that i didnt have the money to fix the problem, now my fuel gauge doesnt work at all it says low fuel even after a fill up now... i have been going through fuel filters every 3000 miles since i got the truck too the tank is clean and i only buy diesel from well known stores... also since i put the big hoss bundle on my truck the tranny has been giving my problems when it is cold it doesnt want to move in any gear and it says "shift range inhibited" it also has a tranny leak which looks like it is coming from the top of the tranny which i have not been able to locate exectlay where... every now and then when i am using my wipers they will stick on if i turn the truck off then back on it usually takes care of the problem but sometimes i have to pull the fuse and that does the trick also my heather and ac sometimes does not want to switch from the floor to any where else i can usually do the same fix and it switches... i just put two brand new red top optima batteries in the truck too and the altenator is about a year old but when i crank the truck it seems that the batteries are almost dead especially when it is cold outside when it starts the volt gauge is reading about 11 but quickly moves up... also the check engine light comes on sometimes and it locks into a gear, usually 4th, so i have to pull over and shut my truck off and clear the codes and then i am good the code is a p700. any help for any of these problems will be greatly appreciated... my dad seems to think that all these problems have to do with an electrical problem but i would like to have an i dea of the problems first if they are al linked to each other or if i am going to have a lot of work to do thanks
rnrmarine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2010, 09:15 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
That One Guy

Well the "shift range inhibited" is your NSBS Neutral Safety Backup Switch on the transmission. They are know to go bad on the older trucks and the p0700 and locking into 4th is called limp mode. You are running too much power and the transmission is slipping and the TCM locks it in gear until you pull over and let it sit a little bit. The 5 speed can only handle about 90 hp over stock so the banks hoss bundle pushes over that for sure and every time you limp it it gets weaker and weaker.

Hope this helps some.

Built With Help From Some Great Friends and Sponsor Jags Pro Truck Shop!
WisconsinHick1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2010, 09:18 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Damn, P0700 means there is an internal problem with the TCM, these sound like a pain in the ass, someone might chime in that is a little better at diagnosing these issues, sorry to hear this.
Cognito 7-9 Lift Kit | Cognito UCAs | Cognito Keys | 6" Deaver Springs | Bilstein 5100 Shocks | 37x13.50x20 Toyo M/Ts| 20x9 Incubus Crusher | 6K HIDs | Smoked NBS Cab Lights | Go Rhino Dominator II Steps | Bushwacker Pocket Style Flares | AEM Brute Force HD Intake | EFI Live w/DSP5 Tuned by Idaho Rob | MBRP 5" Straight Pipe w/ MBRP 6" Black Tip | Autometer GM Performance Gauges | Buckstop Front/Rear Bumpers | PIAA 520 Fogs | HELLA 50w Reverse Lights | ProTech Headache Rack | Smittybilt XRC12000LB Winch

WWW.ALLIGATORPERFORMANCE.COM

Last edited by HENDRICKS88; 01-10-2010 at 09:20 AM.
HENDRICKS88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2010, 09:20 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
That One Guy

P0700 is Trans Ctrl System Error aka limp mode.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:23 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

well i deploy in about a month so when im gone i will drop it off somewhere to get fixed any recommendations? what should i tell them? i dont wanna be like im not sure what the problem is just do whatever it takes, then spend an arm and a leg on a 80 dollar sensor lol
Old 01-10-2010, 09:24 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

btw i am located in tampa fl
Old 01-10-2010, 09:29 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
That One Guy

You can do the switch by yourself its right on the side of the transmission and the limp mode turn the banks down or you will need to rebuild the transmission so that it can hold the power about 4K roughly.

The other problems Im not sure about.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:39 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

well i am sure i have already done problems to my tranny. i want my truck to be good when i get back i hate having a vehicle i dont trust to go anywhere especially when its my baby so the problem with it locking up your saying its the tcm? should i just take it down to suncoast i just dont want to spend more then i need to and i was kinda hoping it would be like a wire that has a tendency to fall of or something but so much for wishful thinking
Old 01-12-2010, 01:23 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

if your deploying out wait a couple months while your over there and get some cash built up then order a high performance trans from one of these vendors on here. or just ask on here. guys on here are very knowlegable. thats pretty much the only way your gonna fix your trans with out sacrificing power. as for the other problems, you may need a new realy for your wipers or possible take the conections off including the grounds and clean them up. same with the ac/heater. if your parents live in florida with you have your dad if you trust him to get this done for you and just give him money for it as you are deployed. i had a car that had a lot of problems with it and when i got deployed i left my car with my dad and just gave him money to fix it since he is a mechanic and when i came back i had a nice car. and you may not think so but your truck is very reliable, its just when you start putting things on it and running it hard all the time, example your chip cranked all the way up, somethings gotta give and unfortunatly its the tranny. so i would turn down the chip so you can still drive it until you leave and then while your gone get the problems fixed then when you come home you got yourself a truck that can handle the power you want to have. and dont have to much fun in the sandbox. coming from a former marine.

Proud Vetran of USMC:rockin
BABE THE BLUE OX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2010, 01:26 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

and for your fuel gauge just get a new sending unit in while your gone too

Proud Vetran of USMC:rockin
BABE THE BLUE OX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.