Thermostat replacement - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2010, 07:24 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Thermostat replacement

I took my truck to the dealer to get my transmission looked at. They told me I needed a rebuilt one or a new one, around $4500. I took it to a transmission shop and they just had the computer flashed and a flush with new filters, $354, runs like a champ. ANyways, the dealer did say my thermostats are bad. My temp on the truck seems low when it should be warm. Aound 175 and no higher than 180. Any ideas? I am just wondering if this is another thing the dealer has said that is wrong about. I heard I can take them out and soak them in soapy water. There is some coolant in my oil, but I had a head gasket test and injector test and they are both good to go.
Jasher20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2010, 07:41 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

My truck wouldn't heat above 160, and wouldn't blow warm air. I replaced my stats from napa ( $90 with a gallon of antifreeze ) and that took care of. I bled the system, it took a few times and it heats well now and my upper hose don't cave in on me anymore, as far as the coolant in the oil Id get another opinion, that can't be good.
2004 Silverado 2500HD cc/sb, ppe boost increase valve, afe stage two, edge j/a, better built tool box, access roll cover, kool-vue towing mirrors, recon led cab lights, torsion bars turned up, amsoil, LT285 75 R 16 tires, front windows tinted to match rear windows.

truck #2 1996 chevy k1500 4x4, it's my work truck ( she says i can't buy anymore trucks )

2000 Harley Sportster 1200C. Sampson exhaust, Yost power tube carb kit, Memphis Shades windshield, Harley Saddlebags, Harley forward controls.
chevy_trux69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2010, 07:43 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
VAGITARIAN :)

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasher20 View Post
I took my truck to the dealer to get my transmission looked at. They told me I needed a rebuilt one or a new one, around $4500. I took it to a transmission shop and they just had the computer flashed and a flush with new filters, $354, runs like a champ. ANyways, the dealer did say my thermostats are bad. My temp on the truck seems low when it should be warm. Aound 175 and no higher than 180. Any ideas? I am just wondering if this is another thing the dealer has said that is wrong about. I heard I can take them out and soak them in soapy water. There is some coolant in my oil, but I had a head gasket test and injector test and they are both good to go.
Reflash and changed fluid..........Temporary fix if it was limped.What other details led up to the trans giving trouble???BTW each limp makes it WEAKER!
My rig runs at 185 idle all day long.........it is a diesel and temp rises accordingly,up to but never exceeding 210*
Soak what in soapy water???????
If there IS coolant in your oil it got there from somewhere,we'll all just hope no one poured that in!!How much coolant did you find in the oil,versus quamtity of oil[10 qts.]
Who determined that that temp was incorrect?If it never got hot then the thermostats aren't faulty,I know they fail open,but you said that the temp fluctuated a bit.......
Sounds like ya truck needs TLC from a competent mechanic
2006 GMC 4x4 CC/SB/sle1/LBZ**312,000 miles!!** PPE HOT+2 225 TUNE beeeyotch:-)AutoMeter egt/boost Suncoast 5 trans w/1056TC!,billet in/out shafts/MagHytec pan!!,M/A built T-Case,4 in.str8piped,5%tint all around......
2007 Chevrolet 4x4 cc\sb,lbz.......SOLD to blunova
Also, I speed and don't come to complete stops at stop signs.

''don't sweat the petty things,pet the sweaty things''
Click below/pictures of my junk!!
http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/vb...do=hall&u=8415
daddysLBZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2010, 04:37 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

Well they ran a diagnostic with a computer hooked to it. They just said the thermos are bad. The heat does not come out hard at all, it is very weak. There is somethin in the oil that is green. I thought it was coolant because it didn't smell like diesel, but my coolant is not green I don't think. They did a pressure check on my injectors and they are fine. It could have been a clogged injector I guess that cleared out. I don't really know. The tranny's shifting patterns were off according to the technitian. He said the symptoms matched the code in the books requiring a flash. Now it shifts better than before. Either way I am in no position to spend 4000 on a new transmission
Old 01-23-2010, 05:55 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

I didn't think the scanner could tell that the stats were bad, when you say the heat don't come out hard at all, are you talking about the volume of air that is coming out of the vent? If so, your evaporator could be plugged up. What year is your truck? Are you having to fill your truck with coolant? I know it is supposed to be red, but is there a chance that someone had the system flushed and filled it with green anti freeze? Is your engine oil level increasing? What does your truck run like? Is it smoking white? Does it start and idle ok? How many miles are on it? I wouldn't dought that your stats are bad, but i didn't think that a scanner could tell you that. Both of my stats were stuck open, so it is possible.
2004 Silverado 2500HD cc/sb, ppe boost increase valve, afe stage two, edge j/a, better built tool box, access roll cover, kool-vue towing mirrors, recon led cab lights, torsion bars turned up, amsoil, LT285 75 R 16 tires, front windows tinted to match rear windows.

truck #2 1996 chevy k1500 4x4, it's my work truck ( she says i can't buy anymore trucks )

2000 Harley Sportster 1200C. Sampson exhaust, Yost power tube carb kit, Memphis Shades windshield, Harley Saddlebags, Harley forward controls.
chevy_trux69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2010, 06:05 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Fill out your sig. Coolant in your oil dosent sound good on any terms

'08 Chevrolet CC/LB LMM Work Truck 4x4
Deleted, DPF-R, Reading Utility Bed, Leveled on 285's, Rhino Lined

www.performancetruckproducts.com
LBZ_Duramax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2010, 06:36 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DF Sponsors
Supporting Member

it sounds like whatever "tech" worked on your truck doesnt have a clue what he is talking about, or how to work on a duramax...

-BT DieselWorks, LLC-

Specializing in a wide range of custom electronics and great gadgets for your 2001+ GM full size truck/SUV

Allison torque converter lockup controllers, Allison Tap-Shift kits, digital DSP-5 switches, affordable injector harness repair kits, and much more!

Check out our online store at www.btdieselworks.com and use promo code DMAXFORUM for 5% off all orders!

307.200.9255 - btdieselworks@gmail.com - Be sure to "like" us on Facebook!
duratothemax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2010, 09:30 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy_trux69 View Post
I didn't think the scanner could tell that the stats were bad, when you say the heat don't come out hard at all, are you talking about the volume of air that is coming out of the vent? If so, your evaporator could be plugged up. What year is your truck? Are you having to fill your truck with coolant? I know it is supposed to be red, but is there a chance that someone had the system flushed and filled it with green anti freeze? Is your engine oil level increasing? What does your truck run like? Is it smoking white? Does it start and idle ok? How many miles are on it? I wouldn't dought that your stats are bad, but i didn't think that a scanner could tell you that. Both of my stats were stuck open, so it is possible.

I ended up getting a tranny rebuild. As far as the heat goes, the volume coming out is weak. It is warm, but when I put it on high it sounds like it is coming out hard but the amount of warm air is hardly any and it goes for the same with a/c. The Engine oil level stays the same, there is just a greenish tint to the oil. One GM mechanic claimed that can be normal for those trucks. I dunno. It runs great, no smoke, cranks up great. Here is what my temperature maxes out at. It has 170,000 miles on it. It idles great. I don't really know if they saw anything on the scanner about the thermostats, or just observed. They said my truck didn't warm up fast enough. If my evaporator is clogged, how do i unclogg it and where is that at? Pics would be great if there is a link.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg temperature.jpg (7.6 KB, 642 views)
Old 02-04-2010, 10:01 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

The 01 trucks came with cabin filters, you may replace those and it may help. The cold outside air affects these trucks and many have to use a front cover to get the engine temperature up faster.

When the upper radiator hose collapses when cold-- that is caused by a sticky valve in the recovery cap-- washing in soapy water will usually correct that.
Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, de-badged, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.--- Jerry
jc1843 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2010, 10:10 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

I changed the cabin air filter under the glove box, is that what you mean? Do you mean a grill cover to get the temperature up? It still blows weak when its summer and the a/c is on. So i dont' feel like it has to do with the engine temp, unless that is too low for efficiency's sake?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.