cooling system problem - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2010, 08:46 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Exclamation cooling system problem

Just bought a used 02 chevy duramax with 175,000 miles. Drove for about two weeks with no problems untill i put an egde juice, exhaust, intake, fass fuel and manifold on. couple days later my low coolant light came on and filled it up about two weeks later same thing. my temp never gets above 160 unless really working it then about 190 if im lucky. yesterday morning my temp went from 150 to about 60. this happened one other time about two weeks ago. this last time got curious and like an idiot opened cap and got coolant bath. left my truck at work not wanting to drive it till i get some better input on what the problem(s) could be and what to do next. I had planned on flushing coolant and changing t-stats. is it possible there is more to my problem yet????? any and all input would be greatly appreciated... thanks
lb7duramax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2010, 09:05 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

Let your truck sit overnight after running it....If the top radiator hose is hard, there is a possibility you have a head gasket leak...Hopefully it's a thermostat...
LBZ mouthpiece upgrade, BD Exhaust, MBRP DP, Banks Ram-Air with SuperScoop ,4" SS Corsa Exhaust System w/gutted kitty, Amsoil Dual Oil Bypass Filtration, Aux Radiator (Engineer 837) installed, Firestone Air Bags, Allison extra capacity Tranny pan, MagHytec Rear Diff Cover, Synthetic Fluids ...Mike L tranny cooler) 2008 Towing Mirrors with Leveling MOD, PCV reroute, Fumoto Valve, Mad Jacks fuel fiter access door. Running 2% BioDiesel with Optilube XPD,TTS dual lift pumps with Nictane Aux Fuel Filtration. EFI (Tuned ECM from Duramaxtuner) Edge Insight CTS to control the tunes
And the best part of all, no payments and title in hand
1953drtelco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2010, 09:07 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

the hose is hard after sitting over night, so that leads to a head gasket for sure??
Fass Fuel Pump, ARP studs grade C gaskets i did myself
ranch hand bumpers and headache rack built by me and line x
recon smoked cab lights, tow mirrors
Cognito pitman, idler supports, HD tie rods, and spicer Pitman/idler arms

zf6 swap eventually
lb7duramax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2010, 03:43 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

on the LB7 that is not a 100% indicator. I have proof in my own truck that I just finished and it was 2 injector cups that were leaking.
(FOR SALE) 2004 Silverado 2500 HD, LB7, Resonator capped, shiny mod's - billet door handles and buckets, Centerline Blackfoot forged wheels, and a drop in K&N filter. New Headgaskets, Injectors, Cups, Turbo and Nicktane Cat Filter mod. ****(AND IT IS FOR SALE)****
Siewell Dmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2010, 03:59 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
Ask one to be one

I would start with a new cap for the coolant resivor. There is a good chance the vent in yours is not working.

2010 GMC Sierra CC SB 4X4 Cognito 6" lift and 315/70/17 ATP Tuned!!

2008 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 4X4 (wifes) Zone lift set close to 4" 305/70/17's Hankook Dyna Pro RF-10 ATM
usafracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.