Smoking 6.6L Duramax - Page 8 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2011, 10:50 AM   eBay Motors  #71 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeDMax View Post
Stand on someone's desk until they fix it sputnik... don't let them wait til the SB expires.
Didn't want to cross post - but could use some input on making sure I deal with dealership right and proper - posted here in same forum: Help Dealing with Dealer on LB7 Injector FSB Replacement

...and to think I was worried about putting off rebuilding the GM Astrovan fuel injection I installed on my Toyota 2F in my FJ40 trail buggy - which get clogged from sitting in the garage too much....
sputnik40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2011, 07:11 PM   eBay Motors  #72 (permalink)

Thumbs up White smoke

Still hi-jackin' this thread...it's still alive! THANKS much to XtremeDmax for the help!

Anyway, my problem DID turn out to be fuel injectors. After my dealer refused to fix it denying that there was an injector problem because they had already been replaced around 60,000 miles under factory service bulletin, and since my 100,000 mile aftermarket warranty had expired 2,000 miles ago, in frustration, I posted on this thread. Thanks for the input.

So, my friend is a CHP mechanic who has a shop on the side and he used to be a Chevy dealer mechanic and worked on Duramaxes. He put it on his diagnostic computer and it showed a faulty mass airflow sensor (MAFS) and 2 injectors faulty, and 2 others were marginal (2 on each side). So, I had him replace the MAFS ($150) and replace all eight injectors (Bosch)since he was going to have both covers off. They were $260 each plus $135 core each. But the supplier waived the core for him.

He put it back together and it still smoked a bit, but got better after about 100 miles. Not satisfied, and since he couldn't clear the check engine light, he discovered that the vacuum pump was bad and giving a faulty MAFS reading. So he took the MAFS back and exchanged it with a refund for the difference for the cheaper vacuum pump. New Mobile 1 and filter and Viola! No smoke and runs like a banshee! After labor it was about $3,000. In the end, it really sucks that I had to spend $3,000 to fix a problem GM should have taken care of. But, what choice did I have. Thank God for friends!:rockin

Last edited by sixweeds; 02-27-2011 at 07:14 PM. Reason: wanted to add a thank you.
sixweeds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 10:41 PM   eBay Motors  #73 (permalink)

Angry dead truck

Well, I know this is an old thread, but I've got to vent somewhere...lol I have an 02 duramax that I bought about a year ago, with 75,000 miles. The injectors went out about a month ago. cost $4800 to replace. Well, I get all of that done and BINGO, They said I now have a smoked #1 cylinder. They now want another $10,000 to replace the engine. i had to borrow for the injectors, and the bank told me they wouldn't loan anymore(which I really didn't want them to do any way as that would put me at $26,000 for a $13,000 truck). So here it sits in my yard missing and smoking to beat the band. Everyone told me I'd love my duramax, and I should get 300-500,000 miles on it. It didn't even get 110,000.
Needless to say, I'm not a fan anymore. I loved that truck(3500 LS dually,) it is really pretty, and drove great when it ran. Thanks for reading.
jnk2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 11:20 PM   eBay Motors  #74 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Sounds like you drove it too long on bad injectors. More like an operator caused failure instead of a mechanical failure. Can't blame the equipment for not being repaired & maintained properly. Just my $.02

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
*EFI DSP5 By: PPEI *DE Downpipe & 5" Dump *ARP Studded *Pro-Fab Deleted *Custom Re-Routed *Alligator FPRV Plugged *DHD Braced & MA Sleeved *20x12 -44's *305/55/20 Terra Graps *LBZ MP, Intake & FPR *Kleinn Horns & On-Board Air *Paramount Restyling Grill *MA Pump Rub & M1 5w-30 *All-On Mod *Maintained

Willie @ Synthetic Motorsports
Kory @ PPEI
Eric @ Merchant Automotive
Jason @ Alligator Performance
e46_330i is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 08:00 AM   eBay Motors  #75 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijdirtyjeep View Post
You can pay GM the money to test the injectors to see what ones are bad. Or if you know someone with EFIlive they can do it for you as well. The only problem you might run into is if you replace just the one bad one, another may go bad the next week. Then you will have to tear the whole thing back down again. I say at least do the all 4 on the side that you find the bad one "s".
I had my injectors replaced under warranty back around 80,000 molesand did end up having a bad one later, around 260,000 miles. It started out smoking a little, but it ultimateky reared it's head. I stayed away from the local dealerships. Most in my area cannot even point to the injectors let alone fix them.
I did go to a shop that specialized in diesel repairs big and small. Did a (4 pack) fornthat side. Working great! I have 296,000 on the truck. It is a 2002 k2500hd crewcab shortbed stick. I ordered it new. I do have a couple mods now. A big head banks wastegate controller and a painless striker 2. I have found that having the striker2 on setting 5, I get more torque and 2 mpg, so I leave it there now. In the chicago suburbs getting 20-21 mpg with mixed driving. In the summer, I get 24 on the highway if I stay below 75 mph. I have taller 17 inch rims and tires that were new takeoffs from a 2007. My original 16s with riad tires did better on mpg, but they didn't do well in mud or snow like these do.
jimschaechter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 08:55 PM   eBay Motors  #76 (permalink)

Injectors

Sorry to hear about your troubles, JNK2001. I ended up selling my '02 last summer to a guy who agreed that the replaced injectors had solved the problem. I explained everything to him. Including not to take it to the dealer for any repairs. I loved that truck...right up until GM wouldn't cover a part they knew to be faulty. I'll never buy another GM product again. My old Chevy Suburban will do me just fine. 245,000 and keeps on truckin'. Signing off this forum for good.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:22 AM   eBay Motors  #77 (permalink)
GM Parts guy
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixweeds View Post
Sorry to hear about your troubles, JNK2001. I ended up selling my '02 last summer to a guy who agreed that the replaced injectors had solved the problem. I explained everything to him. Including not to take it to the dealer for any repairs. I loved that truck...right up until GM wouldn't cover a part they knew to be faulty. I'll never buy another GM product again. My old Chevy Suburban will do me just fine. 245,000 and keeps on truckin'. Signing off this forum for good.
You're upset about GM not covering a problem on a truck that was 10yrs old? They covered it for an extended period of time anyway, are you wanting them to cover it for the life of the truck or what? After a certain period of time they have to draw the line. I've had 3 LB7 trucks, and I still own the first one I bought. I've put a complete set of injectors in two of the three that I've owned. It's not GM's fault that the injectors were problematic, it was Bosch's injector. If YOU put something together as a product, would YOU want to keep paying to fix it if a part you got from SOMEONE ELSE kept failing?

SO MANY people get all pissed off about the LB7 injector problems. Sooner or later people have to realize this fact: It's not a matter of IF, but WHEN. It's gonna happen, deal with it. If you don't want to, get rid of it and quit whining.

Sorry if I pissed anyone off with my rant...

Her truck - 2006 2500HD Crew Cab Short Bed

Traded:2002 2500HD Crew Cab Long Bed
SOLD:2001 2500HD Ext. Cab Long Bed

For spicee tuna go to www.TrollPerformance.com
DMAXfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 09:46 AM   eBay Motors  #78 (permalink)

Injectors

What a rant...you should have gone to the beginning of the thread and read the whole thing. I did "get rid of it". Read the post. But for your sake, here's the skinny. Took it to the dealer under warranty and they replaced all injectors at 68,000 miles with what they said were, "New, improved Bosch injectors." At 98,000, it started smoking ever so slightly again on these "better" injectors. I took it back to them and back and forth having them do everything BUT replace the injectors. Bottom line was they had no intention of replacing the injectors again. The truck rolled over 100k and then they said, "Yup, it's the injectors, but the truck is out of warranty." You can give me all kinds of advice now, but hindsight is 20-20 and of course I'd have done differently. Bottom line is that while I loved that truck and did everything I could to stay in love with it...$3k for injectors was too much for a problem GM should have taken care of under warranty. I have no love for the "NEW" GM, or the local Chevy Dealer. Everything mechanical has problems. But at some point, you just have to consider where to draw the line...it's my money, after all. So, don't get upset with me...smile, be happy, and love your LB7 that doesn't smoke!
Old 01-21-2013, 10:20 AM   eBay Motors  #79 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

It amazes me that there hasn't been a class action suit that FORCES the hand of GM & ISUZU to redesign the injectors and the heads on the LB7 motors due to this WELL KNOWN problem.

I tell anyone interested in a Duramax to RUN AWAY from any LB7 piece of crap !!

If you do buy a LB7 anyway, don't whine when the injectors fail as they CERTAINLY WILL.........at least once!

--CC, SB 4X4 Duramax Diesel/ 6 spd Allison Auto (PTO high idle mod)
--EFILive by KB3MMX Tuning W/ SDP Towing Twins (Billet S475 over Stock)
--SILVERLINE 4" Stainless Exhaust
--AMSOIL Synthetics and filtration bumper to bumper, including Bypass
--DDM tuning HID's in Low and High Beams, 6000K Lows/4250K Highs
--PPE rear Diff cover, PPE Deep Trans Pan, PPE High Flow Manifolds and Up Pipes
--Danville 3" Y Bridge and big air intake kit / EGR delete
--Airdog II DF200 w/ CAT UHE filter upgrade...etc,etc...

Last edited by KB3MMX; 01-21-2013 at 10:23 AM.
KB3MMX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 10:44 AM   eBay Motors  #80 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB3MMX View Post
It amazes me that there hasn't been a class action suit that FORCES the hand of GM & ISUZU to redesign the injectors and the heads on the LB7 motors due to this WELL KNOWN problem.

I tell anyone interested in a Duramax to RUN AWAY from any LB7 piece of crap !!

If you do buy a LB7 anyway, don't whine when the injectors fail as they CERTAINLY WILL.........at least once!

People are funny. Yea lets redesign a truck that stopped production 8-9 years ago! Great idea. Oh wait, they did redesign them, in 2004.5. LB7's are great trucks once you put in GOOD aftermarket injectors. The OEM's failed once, why use them again? Some people think you can make redesigns & changes with the snap of a finger. Get real. My neighbors LB7 has had an Airdog 150 on it since 60k miles and just had to replace the original injectors on it around 200k last fall. He runs Optilube XPD every tank.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
*EFI DSP5 By: PPEI *DE Downpipe & 5" Dump *ARP Studded *Pro-Fab Deleted *Custom Re-Routed *Alligator FPRV Plugged *DHD Braced & MA Sleeved *20x12 -44's *305/55/20 Terra Graps *LBZ MP, Intake & FPR *Kleinn Horns & On-Board Air *Paramount Restyling Grill *MA Pump Rub & M1 5w-30 *All-On Mod *Maintained

Willie @ Synthetic Motorsports
Kory @ PPEI
Eric @ Merchant Automotive
Jason @ Alligator Performance
e46_330i is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.