Smoking 6.6L Duramax - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2008, 01:55 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Angry Smoking 6.6L Duramax

My 2002 Chevy 3500 6.6L Duramax is smoking like a chimney at an idle (white smoke). There has been no coolant loss or oil consumption. It has 135,000 miles on it. It is showing no diagnostic codes. Is or has anyone else had this problem? Could it be the vacuum pump or turbocharger waste gate?

Last edited by dieselguy; 03-30-2008 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Punctuation - add to content
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2008, 02:18 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporting Member

It is probabally the injectors. The LB7s had a problem with them and chevy extended the warranty on them to 7 years 200000. Take it to the dealer and let them check it.

:rockin2010 Camaro SS LS3 426 HP:rockin
BigRedChevy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2008, 02:53 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

Smile Smoking 6.6L Duramax

Thanks for replying to my thread. I did not know that the warranty had been extended to 7 years, 200,000 miles. I will be contacting the dealer tomorrow. By the way, my truck looks identical to yours.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:57 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Keep in mind if it's not the injectors the dealer will charge you for checking them. White or blue/white smoke is unburnt fuel and I would guess it is the injectors as well.

Phil

2012 6.7 Powerstroke.
samdweezel05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2008, 04:04 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Thanks Phil. I didn't know that the warranty on the injectors had been extended and was sure not wanting to purchase new injections for this truck. They are VERY expensive!

Guy
Old 03-30-2008, 06:44 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
Yep!

Is it making oil? In other words is there fuel in your oil? its a pretty good indicator that its injectors as well.

01 Dmax CC, SB, 2wd
"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent". - Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duraskank View Post
So basically this is the only time I'm allowed to call you a giant douchebag pickle smoocher without getting an infraction.

2012 Duramax Forum Best Troll Award Winner for Promoting Jmaz to Admin

deeretracks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2008, 03:31 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Smile Smoking 6.6L Duramax

The problem was a bad injector and Chevrolet it replacing ALL 8 injectors under warranty. Of course, in order for Chevrolet to warranty the new injectors I have to pay $350, for the dealer to replace my fuel filter and flush my fuel system. The dealer says that Chevrolet WILL NOT WARRANTY the new injectors UNLESS I do this. When the dealer advised me of their find and what MY COST would be for THEIR warranty repair; $110.00 for the diagnotic test was included in MY COSTS! I don't think so!

I REALLY do want to thank "Big Red Truck" for telling me about the problem with the injectors and the extended warranty on them. His knowledge has saved me a lot of money!
Old 04-07-2008, 03:35 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

you shouldnt have to pay a dime if they want to change your fuel filter and flush your fuel system that is their decision it does not need to be done to warranty your remaned injectors
01lb72500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2008, 03:47 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

I agree about not having to pay a dime. I think that if the fuel system needs to be flushed and the fuel filter changed to warranty the reman injectors, then Cheverolet SHOULD HAVE TO PAY FOR IT, period!

When I first contacted the dealer about this smoking problem, they didn't mention a word about the problem with injectors. After getting on this forum and finding out about the problem with the injectors: I called the dealer and they seemed to know what I was talking about all of a sudden - Amazing!!!!!! This all just took place today so tomorrow is a whole new day!
Old 04-07-2008, 03:58 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

look at it

Document ID: 1867166
#04-06-04-007G: Service Engine Soon (SES) Light On, DTCs P0087, P0093, P1093, Low Power, No Start, Hard Start, Fuel in Crankcase (Replace All Injectors - New Strategy for High Fuel Return Rates) - (Oct 16, 2006)

Subject:Service Engine Soon (SES) Light On, DTCs P0087, P0093, P1093, Low Power, No Start, Hard Start, Fuel in Crankcase (Replace All Injectors -- New Strategy for High Fuel Return Rates)
Models:2001-2004 Chevrolet Silverado

2003-2004 Chevrolet Kodiak C4500/C5500 Series

2001-2004 GMC Sierra

2003-2004 GMC Topkick C4500/C5500 Series

with 6.6L Duramax™ Diesel Engine (VIN 1 -- RPO LB7)

This bulletin is being revised to include additional service information and revised warranty information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 04-06-04-007F (Section 06 -- Engine/Propulsion System).
Condition

Some customers may comment on the Service Engine Soon light becoming illuminated. Upon investigation, the technician will find DTCs P0087, P0093 or P1093. Additional customer comments may include a lack of power, a fuel smell on the oil indicator (dipstick), fuel in the engine oil, fuel coming out of the crankcase breather, the engine cranks but does not run, or a hard start condition. This condition will not cause an engine misfire. Do not apply this bulletin to any diagnostic other than what is identified in the chart below.
Cause

The fuel injectors have internal conditions that may cause them to return an excessive quantity of fuel to the tank, as well as leak fuel into the crankcase. Due to the return flow and/or leakage, the fuel injection pump may not be able to build up adequate fuel rail pressure.
Correction

Important: Before the technician begins diagnostics and repair, be sure to follow the guidelines in Corporate Service Bulletin Number 03-06-04-036 A to avoid fuel system contamination.
Important: If the technician commands the fuel rail pressure with Tech 2® to 160 MPa at idle and it reaches at least 158 Mpa , then this bulletin does not apply. The technician should then follow normal SI diagnostics. If the rail pressure does not reach 158 MPa, snapshot the data, then follow the diagnostics in this bulletin.
Follow current diagnostics for the condition the vehicle is experiencing, then reference the table below. If the diagnostics lead to Fuel System Diagnosis - High Pressure Side, follow the diagnostic until the Fuel Injector Return Flow is measured at each cylinder bank return connection (bank to bank).
Condition
Start with this SI Diagnostic in the Diagnostic Information and Procedures sub-section of the Engine Controls Section
Delayed Start
Hard Start
Lack of Power
Lack of Power, Sluggishness or Sponginess
Engine Cranks but Does Not Run
Engine Cranks but Does Not Run
Fuel in Oil or Fuel leak out of breather
Fuel In Engine Oil in Engine Mechanical
DTC P0087
DTC P0087
DTC P0093
DTC P0093
DTC P1093
DTC P1093
Important: If the SES light is illuminated, follow diagnostics for the DTC as indicated with the Tech 2®.
Important: When installing the new fuel injectors, lubricate the inside of the fuel injector sleeve with clean engine oil prior to installing the injector. Do not lubricate the injector or O-ring seal prior to installation.
Injector sleeves only need to be replaced if there is damage to the tapered sealing surface where it seals against the cylinder head. If an injector sleeve becomes loose or dislodged when replacing injectors, inspect the cylinder head to sleeve mounting surfaces. If there are no witness marks from a combustion leak or coolant leak, reseal the sleeve using SI procedures for Fuel Injector Nozzle Tube Sleeve Replacement.
If fuel return flow on either the right or left cylinder bank is above the initial fuel injector bank return flow value, then replace all eight (8) fuel injectors using theFuel Injector Replacement procedure in the Engine Controls section of SI.
Record all diagnostic data as outlined on a copy of the attached diagnostic worksheet. The diagnostic worksheet, snap shot of any DTCs, snap shot of the preliminary (actual) fuel rail pressure vs desired as commanded by the Tech 2® and a copy of the repair order with technician comments is to be returned with the removed injectors.
After replacing the injectors, perform the following steps:
Install all disconnected and removed components. Refer to the applicable procedures in SI.
Start and idle the engine. You may have to prime the fuel system before the engine will start.
Connect a scan tool.
Command the fuel pressure control to 160 MPa with a scan tool.
• If the fuel pressure is more than 145 MPa, the system is OK.
• If the fuel pressure is unable to increase to more than 145 MPa, Refer to System Diagnosis -- High Side Pressure in SI.
• Be sure to record fuel pressure readings on the diagnostic worksheet.
Parts Information

Part Number
Description
Qty
97729095*
Injector Kit, Dir Fuel (Includes Injector, Gasket, Seal)
Gasket - Valve Rocker Arm Cover
(Reusable Gasket)
As Req'd
Gasket - Fuel Injection Fuel Return Pipe and Injector
Gasket - Fuel Injection Fuel Return Pipe
12378521 (U.S.)
Sealant
88901148 (Canada)
Sealant
Seal - Water outlet
Sleeve, Injector
As Req'd
Seal, O-ring - Injector Sleeve
As Req'd
*P/N 97729095 is only available in a merchandising pack quantity of 4. Current order restriction limits availability to 8 per VIN.
If a fuel filter is required, it is the customers responsibility to replace the filter at their own expense.
Warranty Information

Important: This labor operation listed below is covered by emissions and is not subject to the $100.00 deductible. Dealers will need to use the following information when submitting claims on vehicles still covered under that warranty:
2001-2003 Model Year vehicles may be covered by Special Policy Number 04039 A . Please refer to Special Policy Number 04039 A before submitting any warranty claims.
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:
Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time
J7801
Sierra, Silverado
Injector, Fuel - Diagnose & Replace (2004 Models)
8.0 hrs*
J7801
Kodiak, TopKick
Injector, Fuel - Diagnose & Replace (2004 Models)
9.7 hrs*
T5603
See Special Policy Number04039 A for published times (2001-2003 Silverado, Sierra Models)
(2003 Kodiak, TopKick Models)
*Note: The labor time represents a reduction over the previously published time due to unnecessary steps in the repair procedure being eliminated, such as removing the radiator shroud and accessory drive belt. Also, the original add time to replace all injectors was overstated, Finally, the number of diagnostic steps have been adjusted because individual injectors are not being diagnosed. The labor time guide will be revised in the near future.
Important: All replaced injectors must be returned to the WPC. IMPORTANT: WAIT TO RECEIVE THE WPC PART RETURN REQUEST PRIOR TO RETURNING THE INJECTORS. Please follow Corporate Bulletin Number 99-00-89-019C that applies to the WPC return procedures. All eight (8) injectors of a single engine must arrive at the WPC boxed or bagged together. A copy of the part request, repair order with technician comments, snap shot of the preliminary (actual) fuel rail pressure vs desired as commanded by the Tech 2® and the completed diagnostic worksheet should be included with the injectors. The tags found in the replacement injector box must be completed and attached to each injector. The WPC will be verifying sets of injectors for high flow rates.
Diagnostic Worksheet for Diesel Fuel Injector Replacement Data

VIN Number:

Date:
Mileage:
Hours:
Page: 1
Customer Concern
Comments __________________________________________________ ________________ __________________________________________________ _________________________
Technician Observations (confirm customer concern, different condition, DTCs)
Comments
Confirmed Customer Concern: YES / NO
DTC: P0087 P0093 P1093 None Other: ________________________
Important: Include snap shot with returned injectors.
Unusual Conditions Observed: ______________________________
Key On Engine Off Actual Fuel Rail Pressure:
inches / mm
Fuel Supply vacuum at highway speed:

Commanded Fuel Press. @ idle with Tech 2
25 Mpa
40 Mpa
50 Mpa
60 Mpa
70 Mpa
80 Mpa
90 Mpa
100 Mpa
150 Mpa
160 Mpa
Actual Fuel Press. @ idle with Tech 2

Engine Cranks but Does Not Run specific values:
Ignition 1 voltage parameter on T2
RPM
Prime Pressure (step 9)
psi
Actual Fuel Rail Pressure Cranking (Step 13)

(Step 11)
(Step 12)
Vapors (Y/N)
Fuel System Diagnosis-High Pressure Side Observed Values: Concern of P0087, P1093, Hard Start, Lack of Power, Engine Cranks but Does Not Run
Fuel API Rating ________
Step 23.
Initial Injector Bank Return Flows:
Fuel Temperature ________ Deg. C or F
Left (Driver) Bank:

Actual FRP= __________Mpa
After fuel Injector Replacement
Commanded FRP=160
Actual FRP= __________Mpa
01lb72500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.