Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Problems - Blue smoke / Surging / vibration

22K views 39 replies 7 participants last post by  Brent@LDS 
#1 ·
So as the title says, I have some problems with my truck. It's an 02 with 195K miles, and I just noticed that I have some blue smoke at idle after I run the freeway for a while. I have also seen it in the morning after I warm it up and back out of the driveway.

Next is the surging, I think this is probably the FPR. Which could also from what I have read, be part of the smoke problem.

Then I have a vibration when coming to a stop. It happens around 3-5mph, and while in park, I can get some vibration at 700-800RPM...

So, can I get some help on this? I will try to fight one at a time.

Thanks in advance,

#31 ·
Well, the injectors showed up 4/18 on a Saturday. Wow, that was service. Out the same day I ordered.
Now, yesterday, I got home around 1:00 and got started on the truck pulling the thing down to get to those injectors. I started on the drivers side, I know that most start on what is believed to be the harder passenger side. Well, I wuld like to thank GM engineering on those back allen head bolts that just happen to be against the firewall and steering column. After a run to Sears for some ball end long sockets, that didn't work, and another run to Northern Tool for a set of short ball end and then the 1/4 drive 5mm socket, I got them out.
The injector tool was the bomb as it pulled each injector on that side out like nobodies business. Pooped them out, cleaned the cups out and put new injectors in. Got that side back to the lower valve covers and moved to the passenger side.
I actually thought this was the easier side, eben though there was more to remove. Again, popped them out, all but #7 came out quickly. That one gave me a little scare as once it popped it, it still would not come out like the others. Luckily, I managed to get it out and same stuff on that side. Clean the cups, install new. Back up to the lower valve covers.
Now I have the lines soaking in CLR, and will get those cleaned up today and finish the install.
I want to thank all others who have gone before me and done this job and documented it. After reading and watching videos of this, it made it easier to do. I will keep you updated as I finish today.

#32 ·
Nice progress! The passenger side is the easier side simply because you can access the valve cover bolts easily. When you installed the return lines, did you put the bolts through all the washers and lines before putting them in place? It is a good way to make sure the banjo washers are sealed correctly around the bolt. Sometimes (if you install the bolts individually) they tend to miss the lower half of the washer and cause a fuel leak. Just do a good inspection of all the return line washers and check torque on all lines before re assembling!

#34 ·
Well, it cranked and ran and drove pretty well tonight. Got everything hooked up and then cleaned up. Seems to have better throttle response, no smoke and I think the vibration when I stop may be gone also. Going to drive it tomorrow and do a pretty god test on it by towing my car trailer to pick up some large cabinets for some schools.

#35 ·
Awesome!

#36 ·
Aaron,
Well, maybe not so much. Cranked it up this morning and the Service light was on. Pulled the codes and I have a P0540 Intake Heater and U1000 Data Link Malfunction code showing. Cleared them when I got to work and will try it again at lunch.
These threw first thing this morning. Last night I had a low coolant light on the dash, but I had coolant in the reservoir. I figured there might be an air pocket and it would need to set over night. It was off this morning as expected, but the codes now are showing.

Thoughts?

#37 ·
Is the nut tight on the intake air heater?

U1000 i have no Idea. But assume its a harness or battery issue.

Low coolant light would only set from the expansion tank. The wires that connect to the bottom of it would be the sensor for low coolant. Check the connection if the tank is full.

#38 ·
Well, I think it is official. All issues with my truck have been solved. The surging issue was solved with a FPR, and the smoking and vibration were solved by installing injectors. Ran the balance rates and they are all under 1.0.

The codes that were set have been cleared and did not come back so far.

Thanks everyone for the input. Thanks,LDS for taking my money and helping solve these issues.:neener The customer service is great and seemed to always be there when I asked questions. The conversations I had with all members of business were very helpful and informative. I hope these issue I had will help the next person that searches for the same issues I had. I still love my truck and can't wait for the next upgrade.

#39 ·
Glad everything worked out!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.