2004 2500HD wont start - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2008, 03:12 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

2004 2500HD wont start

I have a 2004 GMC Duramax diesel and have recently been having a no start problem. The dealer cannot find the problem had it for three days. My wife picked it up today stopped at Wal Mart and it wouldn't start. Dealer is not finding any codes and does not know what to do. I had the injector harness replaced about a year ago.

Please help we are scheduled to go on vacation (pulling a 5th wheel).

Thanks,
gwcoffin@bellsouth.net is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2008, 03:14 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

2004 2500HD won't start

This is a continuation of my earlier post. The engine turns over just won't fire.
gwcoffin@bellsouth.net is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2008, 09:33 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

The primer is located on the passager side down below the fuel filter. There is a black plastic bleeder screw replace that and prime truck back up. I have been seeing alot of this happing with 01-04 the truck looses prime threw the bleeder

Team Salad 1 and only 2wd sled puller

13.20@115 mph

I am sorry that i can not make it to threads in times. If u are having a problem and need help pm me and i will get to u ASAP
duramaxin14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2008, 04:51 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

I would agree with duramaxin14 that it is probably losing prime. I have an '01 that did it on occasion. However, I would suggest that you replace not just the cheap piece of junk plastic screw if it is not sealing, but I would also put in a new fuel filter before your trip. It comes with new O-rings, which helped my situation tremendously.

Other than that, it is real easy to get primed back & running, so I wouldn't worry about your trip. To me it was just more of an annoyance. Good Luck.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:54 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

I have also had a problem with crank no start once after fueling up.
I had a scan tool with me by chance and found low rail pressure. I found the fuel pressure service port on the low side of the pump was leaking and sucking air. I tightened the cap down extra tight and blead out for a quick fix.
badfast7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2008, 04:04 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

Same problem with my 04 2500 HD. Dealer cannot find codes or anything. They replaced the feul filter housing and filter. This has happened twice since that "repair". Next time this happen look and see if the factory security light ( pad lock) on the dash blinks . Turn the key forward but do not start. If all the dash lights go off and the padlock is blinking, you will have to wait for 3-5 minutes truck should start and fire right up . Pain in the butt when it happens. Look and see if the padlock light on the dash comes on while you are driving too. I have noticed this a few times and then I have to go through this routine again.

Last edited by Texas Red DMAX; 06-02-2008 at 08:02 PM.
Texas Red DMAX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2008, 10:29 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

I am having a similar problem. I have a 03 2500hd and EVERY TIME I use the truck and turn it off it will not start but if I wait for an hour or more it fires up immediately, no hesitation. The dealer had it for over a week with no answers. This has been going on for almost a year and I just dont drive when I cant park it where I am going.
eclynn94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2010, 08:09 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

help i cannot get my o4 2500 hd started
medicinehat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2010, 07:25 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicinehat View Post
help i cannot get my o4 2500 hd started
Please start a new thread -- and give some information of the problem -- Won't start is not enough!

Does it turn over-?
Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, de-badged, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.--- Jerry
jc1843 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2013, 10:14 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

2004 Duramax started and ran 30 seconds, went dead. Now turns over, sounds fine but won't start. 1/4 quarter tank fuel, battery good.
dukdawg1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.