common problems with 01-04 duramax with allison trans - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2010, 08:07 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

common problems with 01-04 duramax with allison trans

I'm looking at buying a 01-04 chevy 2500HD with duramax and allison transmission. Could anybody tell me what the common problems are with this LB7 motor? I plan on putting the banks performance mods like the big hoss bundle and want to know how reliable it will be?Any information is helpful. Thanks.
kmarrone1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2010, 08:20 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
oh yaaaaaaaaaa

LB7 have injector problems..but dont let that scare you. they are expensive and can go out whenever. but they are good motors...
but do not waste money on banks big hoss bundle..you could get more and better..for cheaper
EFI Live, AFE hot/cold intercooler tubes, SDP EGR delete,5" MBRP straight pipe, 3" Diamondeye Downpipe, Bills custom intake, AFE turbo mouthpiece, Edge CTS Insight, Recon taillights, cab lights, and tailgate light bar, 8000K HID's, PacBrake Air bags, 06 grille, Reflexxion Cowl hood, Pioneer 3100 double din,
Click picture to be redirected to Meyerperformance.com
Price match Guarantee!
kman2468 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2010, 08:43 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

^^^ agreed. Some injectors last 150xxx miles and some are on their third set at that. I think you can do better than Banks, not bashing but some friends experience hasnt been wonderful to say the least. Also the edge juice w/a seem to cause problems in the lb7s at one point or another.

04 LLY CCSB 4X4

battlegraduate09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2010, 08:54 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
Stupid Has The Balls
Supporting Member

Just injectors. Run fuel additives and a good tune and they will last longer.....aka not banks

Some Expensive Parts, Good Times, Busted Knuckles, Long Nights and Fancy Gauges So I Can Watch While I Blow Things Up

Special Thanks To Ben Tyler at BT DieselWorks, LLC. For All The Help and Hard Work

Odyssey25013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2010, 10:12 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Is this the best motor and trans combo in the 2500 to get for under 30k or is the LLY with allison better? Im looking to aim for around 900ft/lbs of torque once i purschase then add upgrades, what do you suggest if not banks products?
Old 08-06-2010, 11:39 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

You need mods to your trans with any Duramax for that much torque.

PPE standard & boost valve | Bilstein 5100's | Prosport EGT & boost gauge w/ Autometer dual overhead pod | Pioneer Avic D3
tigermack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2010, 12:25 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Had a 01 2500HD with the DMAX and Allison tranny, loved the truck, Had a K&N Drop in filter and a superchip Flashpaq and the truck ran awsome, great gas milage and more power than you needed. I pulled a 7900lb trailer with it and never had a problem in the hills. (I live in BC and we have a lot of mountains here)

The biggest problem was the injectors, before I bought it it had the injectors repalced at approx 50,000Kms, then again at around 100000Kms
When I traded it in the truck had 4 injectors that needed repalcement. Dealership said to repalce all and the cost was $5400.00 (I chanegd the fuel filter every second oil change also....)

I ended up trading the truck in for a new 2009 2500 with a DMAX (miss the fuel milage I was getting with the old one)

anyways overall they are great trucks and lots of power, just take it to the dealer to get the injectors tested before you buy it.

Later
Old 08-06-2010, 12:29 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

lb7 injectors are going to fail at some point, sooner or later. Mine lasted for 146,000 miles. Edge Juice w/ Attitudes are not the best programmers to run. Perhaps the newer versions on Edge products or better like PPE and EFI are the best. 01 dont have any emissions junk on them such as EGR or Cats. Mine doesnt so. You shouldnt have to do a PCV reroute on them either.
Mods:EFI Live, GA Diesel Stg. 4, Garmon Custom Converter, AirDog II, EPR s464, EPR 5" intake, EPR 3" IC tube, EPR 3.5" Downpipe, RDL pedestal, Turbo Performace blanket, MBRP 4" exhaust, Silverline 6" Black Stainless stack, Autometer Cobalt boost/pyro, Modified 6" Fabtech, Fabtech traction bars, PPE sleeves, Cognito braces, Rancho shocks, 35" Mickey Thompson ATZ, 20" ProComp Extreme
472/941-Stock Charger
Thanks Harley, Phil @ Georgia Diesel, Trent Nell @ Extreme Prejudice Racing, Jason @ 4 Wheel Parts, Levi @ Turbo Performance Products
Georgia Diesel
706-356-2174
GeorgiaDuramax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2010, 12:42 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

I have 155, 000 on mine did injectors at 138,000. runs great no problems with it, and i love my PPE Hot.
Auto Meter Carbon Fiber Ultra Lite Pyro, Boost Gauges
PPE Boost valve.
Turbo MP Mod PPE HOT+2
30% over injectors
diesel_tech1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2010, 08:25 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

what year duramax and allison trans combo is the best in anybody's opinion,without buying new?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.