swing bearing or carrier bearing - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2010, 06:37 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

swing bearing or carrier bearing

has anybody changed out there swing bearing on the drive shaft, if so what needs to be done got my drive shaft out cain't get the swing bearing off not sure if just rusted up or what needs be done to remove and put the new one on. thankls John
jappryor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2010, 07:03 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

The bearing is a press-fit and you may need to take it to a machine shop and have it removed.
Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, de-badged, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.--- Jerry
jc1843 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2010, 07:23 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

thanks for the info, didn't know it was pressed on figured i could change it my self. thank you
Old 10-10-2010, 11:10 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

did you have any problems after you got done with the job. I just did mine, and something is horribly wrong. Either that or a back brake. And did you have to wire brush the blue plastic coating on the spline shaft before it would slide easily with the other female end.
midnight blue with tinted front windows to match rear, fiberglass running boards/steps, straight piped and a superchips programmer which I hate, bedliner, and b&w gooseneck, 33's w/ shock ext and wheel spacers:rockin
bansheephreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2010, 11:20 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

did you mark everything before you took it apart so it would go back together lined up the same?
2001 Chevy CC/SB 4WD EFI Live DSP 5, LBZ Short Block, Cut LB7 Pistons,keyed crank and cam, balanced,LBZ Intake Runners with RDL Shorty Y-Bridge, EPR Twins, Big Dipper 40% overs, MBRP Cool Duals, LBZ CP3, ADII, BD Manifold, C2 Gauges, H2 Wheels, Cognito Sleeves and Braces, Hids-Hi-Low-Fogs.
Sheet Metal Workers Local #22
If it's not made in America, YOU paid too much!
Creatures of The Night Performance and ProFab Performance
Vrabel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2010, 11:22 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Get rid of all the rubber etc on the bearing so your just left with the race on the drivshaft, heat the race with a torch (propane works) and it will probably fall off...you might have to use a hammer and chisel to pound it off...or take it in and get it pressed off...

LMM RIP 10/9/10

maxxflip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2010, 11:23 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansheephreak View Post
did you have any problems after you got done with the job. I just did mine, and something is horribly wrong. Either that or a back brake. And did you have to wire brush the blue plastic coating on the spline shaft before it would slide easily with the other female end.
U-joints could be out of phase....

LMM RIP 10/9/10

maxxflip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2010, 06:12 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

Check out page two I changed mine and listed how I did it with pics.

Strange feeling on Take off
Stock Exhaust With Muffler Delete
Chiefmorton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2010, 08:45 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansheephreak View Post
I marked the male and female shaft before i took it apart and took it to the dealer to get pressed off and new one pressed on, also changed all my u joints while it was off, i just greased up the spline before i put it back on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.