Codes p0380 and p0540 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2010, 12:46 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
alvero
Lifetime Supporting Member

Codes p0380 and p0540

So two weeks ago I did the intake heater delete mod and just zip tied the coil out of the way, not unplugged or anything. Sunday was the first cold day here and when I started it the check engine light was on and those codes were on my edge cts. They have been recurring codes since.

Is this due to the heater being removed or is a glowplug bad? I haven't tried reinstalling it yet.
2002 LB7 CC/SB 2500HD 4x4. 202,000+ miles. 20% over industrial injection injectors.EfiLive-duramaxtuner.com. Airdog II 165. PPE Stage 5 Allison. Kryptonite HD tierods. Banks Monster Duals w/ muffler delete. Bill's custom intake. PPE Boost valve. Bill's custom intakes turbo horn. AMSOIL front-back w/ dual remote bypass.
Icbal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2010, 08:49 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
alvero

Codes 0540 and 0380 come on the second start after being cleared.

I've read there is some fuse beneath the fuse block, could I have blown it by pipe clamping the heater coil to one of the lines like I did? Would that fuse being blown cause these two codes? Help please
2002 LB7 CC/SB 2500HD 4x4. 202,000+ miles. 20% over industrial injection injectors.EfiLive-duramaxtuner.com. Airdog II 165. PPE Stage 5 Allison. Kryptonite HD tierods. Banks Monster Duals w/ muffler delete. Bill's custom intake. PPE Boost valve. Bill's custom intakes turbo horn. AMSOIL front-back w/ dual remote bypass.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:40 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
alvero

Surely someones had these two codes?
Old 12-04-2010, 03:27 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

Cool

380 is glow plugs.I know if I dont wait for the start light to go out before I start it when cold the 380 code will come up and/or you have bad glow plugs.540 is Intake Air Heater A Circuit

02 GMC Sierra CC SB 4x4
Rolling Big Power 4" Turbo back exhaust
Rolling Big Power 50,80,95,130 Hp controller
Nitto 305/85-16 0n stock rims.
catD8RII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2010, 04:49 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

i had the same codes is the intake heater one set off by the glow plugs also how do i determine which glow plug what is the intake air heater also
crazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2010, 07:20 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylegs View Post
i had the same codes is the intake heater one set off by the glow plugs also how do i determine which glow plug what is the intake air heater also
The air intake heater is the delete mod you did two weeks ago,I dont think that code is set off by the glow plugs.
I would imagine a simple ohm test will find which glow plug is bad.

02 GMC Sierra CC SB 4x4
Rolling Big Power 4" Turbo back exhaust
Rolling Big Power 50,80,95,130 Hp controller
Nitto 305/85-16 0n stock rims.
catD8RII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2011, 07:27 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
alvero

I took a voltmeter to it this morning. Never bothered before haha but now the truck wouldn't start this morning when it was -18 here in OK (very abnormal).

The red wire that runs into the glowplug controller should be hot constantly, correct?
I get 0.00 volts when the truck is in WTS mode then 86 mV other times. I didn't unbolt it and check because about that time my fingers were numb but is this for sure a bad controller? It probably won't be this cold here again anytime soon.

Btw, the p0540 code dissappeared with a new ecm from dmaxtuner.com but of course there are 0 volts at the heater.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:47 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
alvero

Didn't think about it earlier but the 175 amp fuse has 12 on one side and 0 on the other haha yea problem solved..I hope
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.