solar panel instead of outlet for block heater? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2010, 09:10 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

solar panel instead of outlet for block heater?

has anyone ever heard of using a solar panel for a block heater? I am living in a place that has nowhere to plug into, its gettin close to winter and I would really like to get something to keep it warm overnight.
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2010, 10:36 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

so you want to use a solar panel (that gets energy from the sun, during the day)
to keep the block warm, through the night(When its dark, and only mooonlight)?

hmm....

05 RC/LB LLY 2wd Play truck
ATP Tunes|AirDog 150 w/Billet Sump|LBZ goodies|EGR delete|SoFlo Dual6 stacks
|-3" shackles|No Overloads|Homemade Trac Bars|305/50/20 420s w/ 20x10 Menace
Twins waiting to go on

09 LMM CC/SB SLT Victory Red/Ebony
Cheetah...suncoast...airdog...EFI...BMF's...Cat stacks...
ET 12.7's T-Boned and totalled 5/13/11
adas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2010, 10:57 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

hahaha well said adas.. well said... obviously some ppl are technically challenged

2002 Chevy 2500HD LB7 Duramax <Has 101k, PPE HOT+2 on 225 tune, Edge CTS, Industrial Injection 42% cp3, AIRDOG 165, Banks Ram Air, Banks Wastegate Actuator, MBRP Single 5" Offroad Exhaust with 6" Tip, 7" CST Lift, PPE Deep Sump Pan, PPE Diff Cover, 06' Mirrors & Taillights, Pioneer Deck & Sound, Rancho Shox :rockin >
xposr2vicious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2010, 11:08 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

Maybe look into a diesel fired Wabasso or Espar heaters.
I have worked on engines all my life, spent 19 years at FreightlinnerI live in the Kootenay region of B.C. I have a 2007 NBS White 3500 GMC SLE Duramax Alison 17 inch aluminum SRW Crew-cab long-box White linex in the box and black in the wheel wells BW turn-over ball. all stock.
Johnp33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2010, 11:40 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

im not challenged you jack wagon lol...maybe but im talking about using solar power to charge some kind of a battery or something to warm the block over night... I have absolutely no way to plug it in
Old 10-27-2010, 01:06 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

I would look into a diesel fired heater if you have no way to plug your truck in and want to. They are like a small boile circulates the engine coolant through them
to heat the motor. You can get them with time delays so it will turn on a few hours before you need to use the truck or whenever you want it to

1998 Dodge 2500 24v cummins BHAF 4" exhaust 6" stacks edge juice with attitude 6" procomp lift

1995 Doge 2500 12v Pump work hood stack
justinwilliamskx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2010, 03:14 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
Vanned this place

. Vans had those as an option for faster warmups. I know the aftermarket ones can pre-warm up the engine. But really just wanted to ho the place up with van info
TheStepChild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2010, 10:48 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

aright, i like the sound of the diesel powered heater.. i think it would work perfect, but where would i start looking for one, and what would the price be? I was looking around and i could only find ones for semi's.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:21 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

I would Google Webasto, and look for a local dealer and ask or the yellow pages.
I have worked on engines all my life, spent 19 years at FreightlinnerI live in the Kootenay region of B.C. I have a 2007 NBS White 3500 GMC SLE Duramax Alison 17 inch aluminum SRW Crew-cab long-box White linex in the box and black in the wheel wells BW turn-over ball. all stock.
Johnp33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2010, 07:40 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

i couldnt find any for less than about a grand. I dont have near that much to spend on something like that
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.