Front end "thumping" sound - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2011, 07:56 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Front end "thumping" sound

Please excuse the long write up. I want to ensure you have all the info.

I have put in new ball joints about 10-15K ago. After I returned from my deployment, I noticed a thumping noise in the front end of my truck when I went over bumps. I had the front end inspected and replaced inner and outer tie rods and idler arm. When I had the allignment done, I had a different tire shop do an inspection on the truck and they said the front end suspention looks great.

The stearing wheel was pretty loose when I started, but tightened up a little bit after I replaced the parts and had an allignment. It's still a little sloppy but it's a truck and I plan to have the intermediate drive shaft inspected.

In the process of all this, I looked at the lower A Arm and it looks as though the bump stop is contacting it on a regular basis. I is creal where as the rest of the A Arm has typical dirt and dust. I'm assuming this is my thumping noise by the front tires. Any suggestions would be appreciated on a culprit. The only thought I have is the Torsion Springs need to be adjusted, if that's a typical adjust ment that needs to be made. Thanks in advance for your help.
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2011, 08:03 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
Recovering Diesel Addict
Lifetime Supporting Member

Could be the intermediate steering shaft, cab mounts, maybe a bad shock? the bump stop on the lower a-arm is supposed to touch when the suspension works, it should be soft enough to not make a thump tho.
GMax-5(built by me)•1056•Lift pump•PPE Boost Valve
Exterior: Cowl hood•Halos with HID•Clear Signals•Vertical Grill•Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover
Custom Slip Tank•LED Tail Lights•Painted to Match Vent Visors•Chrome Running Boards
Debadged•Tint•Fuel Octane 18's with 35's•Cognito 7" Lift•Cognito UCA•Dual Shock Hoops•Bilsteins
6" Deavers•Firestone 9000 bags
Interior: Autometer 3 Gauge Pillar•Ultra-Lite II Boost and Pyro•Aeroforce Interceptor
US Speedo•Pioneer Deck•MTX 1200 Watt Amp•2-10" MTX Subs
To Come: Twins•Bigger Fire Sticks•Front & Rear Bumpers Built by Me
Fresh Paint

KryPTiC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2011, 08:45 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

Sorry forgot to mention new front shocks as well.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:53 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

is it a thumping noise? or a knocking noise..i had the same issue.. and it was blown shocks in the front...but like you said you have new shocks..so im not sure
Ignited 8000k low beams, highbeams, fogs.Banks ram air,bushwaker fender flairs,35'' Nitto Mud Grapplers
RBP 18'' 94r's, RBP RX-2 running boards, RBP RX HD Grille,BD turbo gaurd,Airdog2 165,Longhorn Fab Shop trac bars,alpine 7'' double din, 2 Type S's under the rear seat,trainhorn

Tranny and spinny thing to come!
mxhead6.6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2011, 08:58 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

It's a thumping noise like a ball joint. When I replaced the tie rods it happens less and isn't as loud, but still there.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:15 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

Maybe a loose/worn out wheel bearing?
2002 Pewter CCLB - 4x4 - LB7 - AirDog II - Rancho 9000's - New injectors at 147k - Access Tonneau - B&W Turn-over ball - ATS Stage I Transmission - ATS 5 Star Torque Converter - ATS Pump Rub Kit - ATS E-Power - New Rear Transfer Case Half (pump rub hole) - Edge Insight CS
HDBrad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2011, 09:40 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

I replaced driver's side wheel bearing when I did the ball joints. I think that's everything. Thanks for your help so far.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:26 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

Shook the steering shaft and I could duplicate the noise by shaking the crap out of it. Will this also tighten up the play in the steering wheel?
Old 04-08-2011, 02:16 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
it stinks and whistles :)
Lifetime Supporting Member

The steering shaft is a ridiculous problem on the half tons, not sure on the 3/4 and 1 tons tho
rare parts gen2, bilstein 5100s, all season brace,
merchant pump rub fix, drp trans cooler lines.
needs a lift pump
http://performancetruckproducts.com/
Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2011, 02:50 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

i would bet its the upper a-arm hitting the stop. Mine does the same thing, what happens is when the suspension hits full extension, the upper a-arm hits the stop, and unlike the bump stop for full compression that has a rubber stop, the extension is just a steel plate, so it makes a pretty loud bang. Mine did it after putting new torsion keys in it.
mikeyg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.