Slip Yoke - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2011, 05:09 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Slip Yoke

i have an 01 2500HD and below is what ive found(with forum help) that seems to be going on with my truck. question is i would like to try and do this myself cause im short on money. any walk thru or pics that might help or advice.? not sure where to start. any idea what kind of money to have dealer or garage do?

This condition may be caused by a slip/stick condition in the interface between the rear propshaft slip yoke and the transmission output shaft splines.thanks
Richard
richardm93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2011, 05:33 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
Administrator

I thought most people fixed this by pulling the rear driveshaft, cleaning/regreasing the slip yolk and reinstalling???
TST Powermax Programmer, Diablosport Predator
305/70-16 BFG T/A KOs on Eagle Alloys Series 187
Clifford remote start. High Idle, Bilstein 5100s, 1.5" lift blocks
CAT fuel filter w/ nicktane adapter
Magnum Force Stage 2 intake with AMSOIL filter
Racor 2 Micron pre-OEM with heater & water sep
Lightforce 140s from Madjackracing
http://WWW.ATPTRUCKS.COM/
ob_1jr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2011, 05:50 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

What condition? Is it a knock noise? There is a special grease you get from the dealership, unbolt the driveshaft and pull the slip yoke out. put a lot of the special grease in the yoke and put it back on. mark the shaft to re align it when you reinstall, Most slip yokes have a larger tooth or some way that they will only slide on one way, but its easier to make a line so you can see it while under your truck putting it back in. Sounds odd about a special grease but there really is one, and oddly enough regular grease doesnt work as well as this stuff
2006 Crew cab 4x4 dually LLY, Manual trans, South Bend ceramic clutch... Bangin gears!! \m/ \m/ 4" MBRP Turbo back straight piped, Rerouted and Blocked, Airaid CIA, superchips cortex, Ranchhand full front end replacement, Tough country rear pipe deluxe wrap around, 305/70/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers. 120k miles on truck. Custom tune on my list from Relentless.
Tricked Out Customs (owner) since 99, Truck Accessories bumper to bumper for your rig, Tough Country, ONLY manufacturer with continuous pipe, N-Fab, Ranch Hand, performance, Factory and aftermarket replacement body parts, welding, fab work, window tinting, Custom paint.
bigtexgman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2011, 05:56 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Is this what you are asking about-??

#09-04-17-002C: Bump Feel/Clunk Noise at Stop or from Launch (Clean/Lubricate Propeller Shaft Slip Yoke Splines) - (Jun 15, 2010)

. Part # is 19257121. Attached here is a TSB I pulled from another site.

Subject: Bump Feel/Clunk Noise at Stop or from Launch (Clean/Lubricate Propeller Shaft Slip Yoke Splines)

Models: 2007-2008 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban

2007-2009 Chevrolet Tahoe

2007-2010 Chevrolet Silverado (New Body Style) with Single-Piece Propshafts

2007-2008 GMC Yukon XL

2007-2009 GMC Yukon

2007-2010 GMC Sierra (New Body Style) with Single-Piece Propshafts

All Equipped with 4L60 Automatic Transmission (RPO M30) and 2WD

Attention: This bulletin contains a procedure to clean/lubricate the slip yoke splines and replace the slip yoke, if necessary. Check the history on this vehicle. If the lubrication procedure has been performed previously, then continue on and replace the slip yoke.

Condition:
Some customers may comment that the vehicle has a bump feel or a clunk noise at a stop or on launch. Customers may also comment that the bump feel or clunk is noticed after the vehicle has come to a complete stop and that it feels as if the vehicle was bumped from behind.

Cause:
This condition may be caused by a slip/stick condition in the interface between the rear propshaft slip yoke and the transmission output shaft splines. Braking to a complete stop can force the propshaft slip yoke forward into the transmission while the vehicle rebounds slightly backward after stopping its momentum and create this condition.

Correction:
Note: A bump feel or noise may also be due to fuel movement in the fuel tank when not completely full. If the condition is eliminated after filling the fuel tank, the noise is isolated to the fuel movement in the tank. Please make no repair attempts, as this noise is considered an operating characteristic.

Verify the customer's concern.

Clean/Lubricate Slip Yoke Splines:

Remove the rear drive shaft. Refer to One-Piece Propeller Shaft Replacement in SI.
Inspect the rear slip yoke splines on the drive shaft.
Clean the slip yoke splines with brake cleaner or equivalent and a shop towel.
Assure the yoke is free of rust or other foreign material.
Lubricate the slip yoke spline with grease, P/N 19257121 (in Canada, 19257122), using a brush or swab to completely cover the entire spline with a light coating of grease.
Reinstall the rear drive shaft. Refer to One-Piece Propeller Shaft Replacement in SI.
Road test the vehicle and verify that the noise is gone.
Note: Do Not replace the slip yoke unless the cleaning and lubrication procedure is ineffective.

If the vehicle has a repeat concern after lubricating the slip yoke splines, it may be necessary to replace the propeller shaft slip yoke with a new nickel-plated slip yoke.
Replace the Propeller Shaft Slip Yoke

Remove the rear drive shaft. Refer to One-Piece Propeller Shaft Replacement in SI.
Important: Some U-joints are fastened with nylon injection clips. If so, Do Not reuse the U-joint. Replace with GM P/N 12479126 U-Joint kit.

Replace the propeller shaft slip yoke with a new nickel-plated slip yoke. Refer to Propeller Shaft Slip Yoke Replacement in SI.
Install the rear drive shaft. Refer to One-Piece Propeller Shaft Replacement in SI.

Parts Information:

LUBRICANT - Part#19257121 (in Canada, use 19257122)

SLIP YOKE - Part#19121437 - 2007 & 2008 - Utilities / Tahoe / Yukon and Avalanche

SLIP YOKE - Part#20877209 - 2009 - Tahoe / Yukon & 2007-2010 Pickups

JOINT KIT,PROP SHF UNIVERSAL - Part#12479126 (in Canada, use 10952423) Replace only if fastened w/nylon injection
Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, de-badged, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.--- Jerry
jc1843 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2011, 08:07 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Yes this it
Old 05-09-2011, 06:21 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

well that is what im asking? do you pull just the rear half?
so i assume you take the rear part loose from the rear end?
clean the splines in the yoke, grease with special grease and reinstall?
assuming a lot i guess but havent done this before and cant find step by step!
Thanks
Old 05-09-2011, 06:31 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
Word Up
Lifetime Supporting Member

drain the t case oil, remove the bolts and retainers holding the D shaft to rear end yoke. May have to pry the u joint out of its home or give a few whacks. slide your driveshaft out. If its wet on the driveshaft I would change the output shaft seal at this time.

Clean up the internal splines real good. with the seal out its easier to clean the splines on the output shaft.

Grease the snot out of it with the GM lube and reassemble. Nothin much to it really.

Good luck

LMM Twinz N sum shyt ATP Tuned

02 LB7 to be EFI'd this week.

cainer70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2011, 06:34 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
Word Up
Lifetime Supporting Member

After a while if you notice the same feeling you need to go and get a new yoke. Merchant Automotive has em for a good price.

Depending on mileage I would also do the u joints since its all apart but thats just me.

LMM Twinz N sum shyt ATP Tuned

02 LB7 to be EFI'd this week.

cainer70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2011, 06:45 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

is it a reg cab, exh cab or cc? yes unbolt the two u-joint straps on the rear diff, if you have a carrier bearing un bolt. and MARK THE POSITION OF THE SHAFT TO THE TRANS OR T-CASE also (I personally always mark the U-joint also just to be safe for vibrations and all) it will make it easier to reinstall, it has a larger tooth on the splines but it will be easier to just line the marks up when your under the truck to slip it back in. When you pull the shaft look at the splines and if they need cleaned do so, ive used brake cleaner before but usually they are fine. as stated above get the can of the GM special lube from the stealership and load the slip yoke up with it. It is a odd lite buleish green color... or it was few years back at least. anyway load the yoke up with it and reinstall. I agree if you have high mileage check your u-joints and replace now if needed. But its a real simple fix. I dont drain anything when I do it, jack the rear end up and its very minimal fluid loss if any. but not a bad idea to do if you want or if your driveline is down a lot. Easy fix and R and R...
2006 Crew cab 4x4 dually LLY, Manual trans, South Bend ceramic clutch... Bangin gears!! \m/ \m/ 4" MBRP Turbo back straight piped, Rerouted and Blocked, Airaid CIA, superchips cortex, Ranchhand full front end replacement, Tough country rear pipe deluxe wrap around, 305/70/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers. 120k miles on truck. Custom tune on my list from Relentless.
Tricked Out Customs (owner) since 99, Truck Accessories bumper to bumper for your rig, Tough Country, ONLY manufacturer with continuous pipe, N-Fab, Ranch Hand, performance, Factory and aftermarket replacement body parts, welding, fab work, window tinting, Custom paint.
bigtexgman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.