Tow Haul OD Button not working - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2011, 11:16 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
DF Sponsors

Tow Haul OD Button not working

I have heard this is not a really common problem, but it does happen. I have been told that over time the wire that runs from the tow haul button can break. Now to replace it I have been told to just switch it to a new shifter. Has anyone done this? What am I in for? Thanks in advance for any answers.
www.dieselperformance.com
800-887-5030 ext. 101

2003 Chevy 2500 BD Valvebody, Edge juice CTS Hot, Volant air intake, BD 4" Dual exhaust. BD Exhaust Brake more to come....
Pat@BD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2011, 11:32 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

I have had this happen on my old '02 1500 and my old '02 tahoe, It looked like what happened was that the wire was pinched in two. I just popped the shift boot out and maybe the bottom half of the steering column cover and stripped the orange wire exposing the red and black stripped those and soldered them back together and taped them up and taped them up out of the way so they don't pinch again.

hope that helps
Daniel P. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2011, 12:05 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DF Sponsors

Thanks. I was going to try that, but I had heard it was easier to replace shifter. I will have a look tonight. thanks again.
www.dieselperformance.com
800-887-5030 ext. 101

2003 Chevy 2500 BD Valvebody, Edge juice CTS Hot, Volant air intake, BD 4" Dual exhaust. BD Exhaust Brake more to come....
Pat@BD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2011, 02:59 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

My uncle had this happen recently on his 05. There are 2 tiny wires that go to the tow/haul button and provide a temporary ground. One of his wires was broken somewhere on the shift lever. he was able to remove the shift lever and repair the broken wire and its been fine.

FYI.....my cost on a new shift lever was like 85 bucks.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:40 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

just replaced one wire in lever by adding a short piece to the broken one and soldering it in.In my opinion this is an engineering fault that should have been repaired free of charge.This fixed the tow/haul mode
cranky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2011, 05:45 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky View Post
...In my opinion this is an engineering fault
Just curious...Do you have a lot of column Tilt action going on? Or does the angle get set and left alone?
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"

Hook'em_Horns! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.