LB7 fuel mileage - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2011, 03:50 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

LB7 fuel mileage

hi i have heard of the lb7 getting up to 23-24 highway talked to guys that get 22 all the time but also guys that havent seen past 16 highway. and that you can get a good one or a bad one. is there anything i can do to get even the upper teens to twenty. i currently get 13.5 in town. and with a gooseneck with 2 f250s on it i didnt see better than 9.5 on the highway. please help.

03 duramax, 115000 miles, hypertech chip on stage 2, 4 in exhaust, spectre cold air intake, and 33 mud tires
03-dirtymax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2011, 04:10 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
And I be smokin
Supporting Member

Don't know to much about the hypertech but I think you should start there. I have a triple GT and I get 20 to 21 on the highway with 35's. I'm ordering EFI tomorrow so I'm hoping to see even more of an improvement, In town my mileage sucks getting moving kills me. I would Imagine going back to 285's would help you as we'll. I would also Clean your MAF sensor probably won't do much but It won't hurt anything either.
Jeff | 03 LB7 ECSB in Arrival Blue | 6" Fabtech | Tierods/Braces | Airaid Intake | 4" T.B/muffler delete | Profab Intake horn and D.P | Pump Rub Kit | BD Deep Pan | PPE B.V | EFI tuned by Mr. Coddens | AirdogII | Upgraded Sound | 20x10 MKW M26 | 35x12.50 Toyo M/T's | Bushwacker | 15% | All on Mod |
trublulb7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2011, 05:23 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Well I'm one of those guys that use to only get 12mpg in town and 14mpg on highway, but grant it I'm a dually. I put a K&N cold air intake on and that put me up 1/2-1mpg at both in town and highway. I used my buddies bullydog to try it out just to see if I could improve some before buying something since I'm new to this I figure it wouldn't hurt to try something. And that worked, I got 15mpg around town and 16.5 on the highway for a short run. This past weekend I just installed a 4" stainless exhaust on and I can't wait to see what happens with it. Then I just purchased a Stealth2 from someone and everybody says that will do even better than the BullyDog, so I'm even more excited. I will keep everyone posted on the out comes.
Just installed Quadzilla Stealth2......
looking to do other mods for some gas mileage... any suggestions needed if you have the same truck...
Just Pin It!! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2011, 06:32 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

I had an 03 6 in lift, 22" wheels, and thirty fives. Put PPE level 5 and MBRP 5" exhaust and id get 22 all day long on the highway and 19 - 20 city if i wasnt sitting still for too long.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:00 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

I highly doubt anyone gets 23-24 period. People often forget to re-calibrate speedos for bigger or smaller tires. It seems u have just about everything u need for a little better milage, programmer, intake and exhaust. Just make sure your speedo is adjusted for 33s. You can also look intoo water/meth injection, which will add a few mpg, and u r looking for real world mpg, not a one time trip with absolute perfect condition
mikeyg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2011, 06:29 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

my truck on 37s got 300 miles on half a tank, correct me if im wrong but thats 13 gallons (stock tank) all i have is a superchip on max performance, quadzilla air intake and straight piped stock exhaust. thats 23 mpg with the speedo set for my tires
37x12.50x20 Nitto Trail Grappler MT
20x12 Black Fuel Octanes
3.5" straight piped exhaust
quadzilla monster air intake
superchip pogrammer high performance mode
shrummyboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2011, 06:40 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

ditch the hypermax, im getting just about 22-23mpg on my setup as it sits if i can keep my foot out of it

"Big or small we boost them all"

04.5 QCLB NV5600
ARP 625s, Hamilton 188/220, HD Pushrods, 110 Springs, Banks Big Hoss, Banks tubes/Cooler, Flux 4.5s, ED 69, SD Mani, ATS Duals, T&C Wild Rail, Dual Feed, P&P Head, Amsoil Bypass, AD150, T Bars, Mag Hytecs, 20in Hoss XDS, SSR/EZ, Other supporting mods...
lb7smoke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2011, 06:48 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

my mods with a efi 90hp tune at 65mph I get 23 on highway and a high intown of 18.5 on same tune

2003 LB7 sold
2007 lbz sold
2009 6.4 f350
roxyfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2011, 06:53 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrummyboy View Post
my truck on 37s got 300 miles on half a tank, correct me if im wrong but thats 13 gallons (stock tank) all i have is a superchip on max performance, quadzilla air intake and straight piped stock exhaust. thats 23 mpg with the speedo set for my tires
Most don't do much better than 300 miles on a full tank on the average, thats a fact. Some must be easier on the go pedal or not good with math. I can get my DIC to read 20 - 22 all day long, but long hand is about 15-17 on the average running 2200 rpm. Its more about your style of driving, not what you have for power adder.

2004 LLY 2500 HD
LBZ MP, LBZ S&B Cold Air Intake - Dry Filter
Raptor 150/Nicktane/CAT Combo
5 inch Turbo back, no muffler
realwhiteman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2011, 07:29 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

no offense but measuring how many gallons you burn by the fuel gauge is pointless. my fuel gauge is so erratic. it drops to 3/4 fast, but stays below 1/4 forever. and my low fuel light comes on there is still 6-8 gals in the tank.

the ONLY way to accurately measure fuel mileage is topping off the tank to where you can see it, driving with your speedometer reading correctly, then refilling to where you can see it and divide how many miles you drove by how many gallons put in.

it seems like a lot of guys are all conjecture on what their trucks should get and what the DIC says and yadda yadda yadda. maybe b/c they know it won't actually calculate to that if they do it the for real way. there's no excuse not to actually calculate your mileage right.

here's a great tool i recently found you guys should check out if your serious about tracking mpg's
Fuelly | Share and Compare Your MPG

I seriously doubt a 7-8,xxx lb vehicle gets 19-20 in town.... maybe 15-16. if they do more power to you. but seriously
my "build" thread
Raptor color match thread
ATP Trucks
lddrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.