Noisy injector - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2011, 10:01 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Noisy injector

changed one of my injectors and now its real noisy, wasn't noisy before so i'm thinking its the new injector, is this normal or did i get a bad injector, can't really hear it at idle but once you accelarate it gets real loud
17'' WHEELS ROLLING ON DICK CEPEK TIRES
JJ78040 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2011, 10:07 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

most people say dont change just one injector, do the whole bank if you are going through the hastle

efi live, cts insight, 5" straight pipe, 7" bds lift, 37" toyos on fuel maverick, egr blocker, pcv re-route all waiting to go on.
taylorbok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2011, 08:35 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

ok opened up the hood and the sound doesn't seem to be coming from the injector, you can hear it more from the inner fender on the drivers side and the bottom of the truck, did some research and could be "pilot injection" heard you can disconnect the pilot injection, if so, how can you disconnected it just so im sure its that and the injector or anything else
Old 06-10-2011, 08:05 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

I am not sure 100% so some one correct me if I am wrong but, pilot injecton uses the injectors in the head, it is a small squirt of fuel before the main injection starts, It's to lower cylinder pressure and help quiet the motor during ignition, you need efi live to turn it off but I dont think any one does that.

how loud is real loud? how are your balance rates?

efi live, cts insight, 5" straight pipe, 7" bds lift, 37" toyos on fuel maverick, egr blocker, pcv re-route all waiting to go on.
taylorbok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2011, 04:08 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbok View Post
i am not sure 100% so some one correct me if i am wrong but, pilot injecton uses the injectors in the head, it is a small squirt of fuel before the main injection starts, it's to lower cylinder pressure and help quiet the motor during ignition, you need efi live to turn it off but i dont think any one does that.

How loud is real loud? How are your balance rates?
will check balance rates this weekend, and its annoying loud....
Old 06-10-2011, 09:37 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
Banned

Could have got some dirt in the other injectors causing them to lock up.
JoeSmith21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2011, 03:28 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Anybody???? Haven't done the balance rate check, but this knock sounds bad and a lot of black smoke, knock and smoke not there before replacing this injector
Old 07-08-2011, 02:29 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

Noisy Injector

I have a 2002 2500HD with 127K miles. One of my injectors failed completely and dumped gallons of diesel fuel into the crankcase. The dealer told me that one had failed completely and 4 others were shot too. I ordered a reman kit from Pensacola Diesels. After I spent 3 days changing the injectors, I started the truck and noticed what sounded like a rod knock. I took it to the dealer who ran a test (increasing the fuel pressure in each injector 1 at a time) and notified me that I indeed had a rod knock from #7. I changed out the rod bearing from underneath the vehicle. #7 and #8 are accessible. The old bearing was not bad, and of course this did not fix the noise. I went back to the dealer who told me the wrist pin must be bad. Right! On paper, they recommended a new engine. I found another diesel mechanic that told me the injector was not preinjecting which was making it inject like an old school diesel. I called Pensacola who promptly and without question, sent me another injector. I replaced that injector and surprise, surprise, the noise is gone! so much for needing a $10,000 engine.
It sounds like you have a bad injector.
SanDogDuramax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.