PPE tuner - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 01-04 LB7 Duramax Trucks No Advertising

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2011, 11:41 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

PPE tuner

I just bought an 01 2500hd with 200k miles that is stock and I was wondering if a PPE tuner would work good and give me some decent power gains without having to do anything else to the truck. Is 200k miles to many to add a tuner? I don't know much about this stuff and would just like to add a little more power, nothing crazy.
Jay146992 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2011, 11:45 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

PPE is a very good choice, the best canned tuner in my opinion. The only thing that tops it is EFI live. Have you looked in to all of the efi live options? you don't have to spend tons of money for a good efi live setup any more, you can get an ecm w/ 2 tunes for fairly cheap even.

But anyways, like i said, ppe will do you alright as well. 200k shouldn't be anything for the rig, as long as its maintained fairly well

2004.5 LLY Ext Cab 8' ~EFI, Fabtech 6" and much, much more.. SOLD
nvrplzd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2011, 11:56 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

If I did get efi live, would I have to tune it myself? I don't really want to mess with something like that if it's hard to do. I don't know how to mess with that stuff and I don't know anyone that does. I would like to get tuner that I can just plug in and go without having to mess with it.

If I do get a tuner, would I have to do anything else to the truck or will it be okay stock?
Old 09-26-2011, 12:05 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Noooo not at all, especially not if you get a tuned ecm. Literally all you do is overnight them yours, they load the tunes, you plug in the switch and boom you're good to go. I don't blame you, i don't trust myself to tune either haha. Give Dustin a call over at ATP in the morning (208-685-1000), he'll give you your options and hook you up if you're interested in going that route. No pressure there either, he's a real chill dude. Him and Rob really helped me out a lot.

and no, you don't have to do anything else. An exhaust/intake/turbo mouthpiece wouldn't hurt so it could breathe a little better, but not necessary per se.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:34 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DF Sponsors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay146992 View Post
I just bought an 01 2500hd with 200k miles that is stock and I was wondering if a PPE tuner would work good and give me some decent power gains without having to do anything else to the truck. Is 200k miles to many to add a tuner? I don't know much about this stuff and would just like to add a little more power, nothing crazy.
Our top selling PPE tuner and what we recommend most is the PPE Standard Xcelerator. You could also get the PPE Economy Xcelerator if you want to save a few buck.
DSTRBD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2011, 09:55 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Be careful-- any added power can damage the trans, and they are pricey to upgrade. Keep the added power to less than 100 HP and lift your foot on the 4 to 5 and the 5 to 4 shifts, and you can get by- for a while.
Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, de-badged, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.--- Jerry
jc1843 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2011, 10:06 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Exactly how much better is efi live than PPE? How much time does it take to set them up and what are the pros and cons of both? Would it even be worth spending the extra money for efi if I just want to keep the rest of the truck stock? What is the difference between PPE standard and PPE hot?
Old 09-26-2011, 10:17 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

The PPE Standard has 5 levels of performance-- the "HOT" has more and is more aggressive. The PPE tuners can be loaded through the OBD II port in a few minutes, by anyone. No real learning curve. Probably the best canned tuner available. Price from [$450 and up] This is an easy sell if you upgrade in the future.

The EFI is a great tuner and can change many tables in the computer, and almost unlimited power added. Take a while to learn the program, and requires a laptop. More expensive than the PPE. Many vendors offer a re-program ECM, that you just exchange. Contact a vendor for more info.
Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, de-badged, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.--- Jerry
jc1843 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2011, 11:00 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
Discount Diesel Parts

I agree with everything they have said above about PPE & EFI Live. The one thing they haven't said is EFI Live will cost you about double what a PPE Tuner will cost once you purchase tunes from one of the great tuners out there.

Also heed the warning that jc1843 has given to you about the trans. Adding too much power and using it with a heavy foot more often than not in the 4-5 shift or the 5-4 shift (more common) will eventually do damage to the trans. You will slam your foot on the pedal and down shift under power and poof no more power and a feeliong like the trans is slipping.

It will start with the trans going into limp mode which means when you have slipped the trans clutches the trans will throw a code and go into limp mode and be stuck in the gear it was in. Not very good to be in 4th when your trying to get around town or even off the frwy/hwy. The fix is to clear the code and reset from limp mode. Resume normal usage however if you choose to stay at the higher HP setting and do not let up on the throttle during the higher shifts it will happen again and again. It will then start happening closer together in time (damage occurs each time) and soon you will be looking at a 4k + dollar rebuild if you have a shop do it. You may get away from that by lowering the power level and or driving your truck like grandma and do not take advantage of the extra power just reap the benefits of the extra power which is a huge increase in mpg up to around 120-160hp (approx 4 mpg over stock).

If your looking for extra power because you want to race around town or jack rabbit off of stop lights to show off the power of your truck like I did as a teenager with a very powerful '69 Hurst Olds convertable then be prepared to build your transmission to handle it. If you want power for extra fuel mileage and effciency you will probably get away with using about a 120 hp tune and driving normal.

The question after all that is do you want to spend 500.00 or 1k on that power? Will you build the truck in the future to get more hp and speed so you may want tuning that will grow with you or do you just want higher mpg and longevity without spending big bucks to compensate for each addition you make to the truck. Its a disease that won't stop if you let it get ahold of you. Decide now what you want before you get too far!
Amsoil Distributor #1466322
Exhaust Systems, Down Pipes, CAI, EFI Live
Authorized Nicktane Dealer, Filters
EZ Oil Drain Valves, Fuel Filter Access Doors
Your Satisfaction is Our Satisfaction!
Dirtbikindad393 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2011, 01:22 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

^Agreed, however if he just wants a basic setup of EFI live, the price of a preprogrammed ECM w/ 2 tunes will be extremely comparable to that of a PPE unit.. will it not?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.